Custom LMS5400 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Closed Thread

post #11 of 29 Old 01-15-08, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Re: Custom LMS5400

I started with 24" sonotube, braced it well, and laminated thin layers of HDF on the inside for extra thickness, and strength. The baffle is double thickness 3/4"MDF as well as the end caps. The driver I got direct from TC Sounds and it is being powered by a QSC PLX3602.

Quote:
Owen Bartley wrote: View Post
Wow, that endcap really does look great. And a side mounted sonosub... how'd you decide to go that route? Was this a request for a customer, or just a project of your own? It's quite interesting, and I'd really like to see it with the grille installed as well. Oh yeah, and it seems to be a good sub too, not just pretty! That 5400 is just insane.
This is my own personal sub, I mounted it in the side for a couple reasons, one I like to see my subs, and also as an example of the kinds of things we can do. I will post a picture with the grill on as soon as the grill is done.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 Old 01-17-08, 02:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Quote:
Ilkka wrote:
Also proves that the LMS-5400 is a great "LLT" driver, even though the general opinion was against it. Simulations are only simulations
Except that this design isn't a LLT. LLT is being tossed around really loosely, but there are specific requirements a design would have to meet in order to be one as opposed to just a ported sub or EBS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #13 of 29 Old 01-17-08, 08:32 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Steve, how does the 5400 model for a true LLT? I think I've seen designs for some ridiculously powerful sealed applications, but nothing of the large ported variety (other than Funky's build here, of course). Would this super-driver have a big advantage over the more conventional drivers available today, or would it just be unnecessary for a big, low tuned enclosure?

- OJ -

post #14 of 29 Old 01-17-08, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Josh

According to the published TS's it does not model that well in the really large enclosure needed to get sufficient port area to tune below 15hz. That's the main problem, is that the LMS needs even more port area than usual to get the most out of it, but it likes smaller than normal enclosures for a smooth response. Of course what a model predicts can be way different from what is actual.

Some body should put a woofertester to one and see how close it measures to the TC specs. My TC1000
was significantly different from what it was listed as and liked a bigger volume than predicted.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-17-08, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

I would call this ALLT, almost LLT. I had thought about doing it even larger, 450L tuned to 13.5hz, same size ports, but then it would have been 17" taller and had less overall output. I think it models fairly well either way. You just need to be able to put massive flares on the port ends to keep them quiet.

The LMS measured very close to published, as have all the TC drivers I have ever measured.

Published specs:
Fs: 18.00hz
Re: 4.00ohm
Qms: 13.0
Qes: 0.39
Sd: 1098cm2
Vas: 216
Le: 3.4mH

Measured:
Fs: 18.58hz
Re: 3.99ohm
Qms: 7.7
Qes: 0.40
Sd: 1098cm2
Vas: 221.3L
Le: 2.0mH

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #16 of 29 Old 03-13-08, 01:37 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Nathan, what's the deal with the grille, are you still working on it, or has it been put on hold to work on bigger and better things? Don't keep us in suspense, I actually really want to see what it looks like.

- OJ -

post #17 of 29 Old 03-13-08, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Sorry about the wait. It is not a big priority right now, and I am very busy right now. I may have time next week to get it done.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #18 of 29 Old 04-06-08, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Funky Waves

Finaly got the grill finished. It is made from solid aluminium bars powdercoated chrome black. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Custom LMS5400-img_2401small.jpg  

Custom LMS5400-img_2406small.jpg  

Custom LMS5400-img_2405small.jpg  

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #19 of 29 Old 04-06-08, 05:55 PM
Elite Shackster

PHIL

This sub gets my top ten vote for beauty, originality, and performance! I mean . . . . . . Look at that graph!!!!

If you saw and heard this piece of "ART" in an audio emporium you'd be willing to pay thousands to have one. Long Loud applause, Nathan. Take a bow.
post #20 of 29 Old 04-06-08, 08:56 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Haha! Wow. I knew it was going to look badass... but I wasn't expecting that! It looks awesome Nathan, great job. Take a killer sub, put it in an awesome enclosure, add some fantastic custom touches like the flared ports and grille, and everybody wins!

- OJ -

Closed Thread