Old News Turns Into Good News: Plasma Sell-Off Means Great Deals Are Here - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 25 Old 11-21-14, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Old News Turns Into Good News: Plasma Sell-Off Means Great Deals Are Here

It would appear that reality has finally set-in. Cinephiles, hang your heads. Plasma is officially dead. We’ve known this day has been coming. We’ve known there’s no turning back. Manufactures have been digging its grave for years, and retailers are now delivering the casket. I get it…but it’s still hard to accept.

Perhaps the home theater junkie in me is brazenly supercilious, but this death feels far too premature. It’s hard to understand how manufacturers could shun plasma’s superlatives: Seemingly limitless off-axis viewing angles, superior contrast, seductive black levels, sensational color, and supreme motion reproduction. And it’s harder to understand why the masses didn’t show the technology more love, pushing demand and forcing plasma’s survival. Admittedly, this last bit of confusion is a bit short sighted…the industry most likely would have ushered plasma to the door no matter what circumstances existed.

The plasma dominos began falling with Pioneer’s 2009 confirmation that it was exiting the display game. After gracing us with its benchmark Kuro sets, Pioneer broke hearts and trumped Vizio’s similarly timed pro-LCD announcement. We managed to ride quite a few more good years on the backs of Panasonic, LG, and Samsung. But, one-by-one they too fell, with LG being the last man standing. Last month LG waived the white flag and plasma fanboys had to accept defeat. 2014 marks the end of plasma production on all fronts.

What about 4K picture resolution and super-sized screens, you ask? That’s exactly where manufacturers rest their case; plasma simply doesn’t jive with their future marketing plans, nor does it play well with their future design requirements. Not to rehash OLED’s current status, but we’re told that OLED might cure our plasma-blues with performance specs that will make our beloved plasma displays feel like rotary phones. Of course, this is all hinges on OLED’s ability to be mass-produced, cost effective, and marketable. I’m not sure about you, but I’m first in line and cheering for its survival.

This brings us to the reason for today’s article. As plasma lays on the floor, wheezing its way through its final breaths, you can hear it whispering one last word: Sales. Sales! Yes folks, this might be plasma’s final great gift and if you’re in the market for a new HD television, you might want to pay close attention. Case-in–point: Best Buy recently unveiled an insane sale on a Samsung plasma line (PNF8500) that CNET’s renowned television-guru, David Katzmaier, says is amazing. In his model review summary, Katzmaier claims: “Samsung's best-performing TV ever, the PNF8500 series pushes the plasma picture quality envelope, especially in bright rooms.” Need you read more?

The PNF8500 series originally sold for $1800 (51-inch) and $2,400 (61-inch)…they are now on sale for $1000 and $1500, respectively. At those price points, you’d be hard pressed to find a better performing display. This is a flagship model sell-off at insanely low prices.

The biggest remaining questions: Does the general public have the savvy to take advantage of these deals? Or have LCD full-court press marketing campaigns diminished plasma’s appeal to the point that low prices aren’t enough to lure-in buyers? What we do know is that a stock sell-off by Best Buy is probably just the beginning. Other retailers will follow suit. Other models will be given similar attention. Plasma is being moved to make room for LCDs, OLEDs, and 4K. It’s truly over…but hopefully the beginning of a great union between a few lucky buyers and a phenomenal display technology.

Image Credit: Samsung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-21-14, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Old News Turns Into Good News: Plasma Sell-Off Means Great Deals Are Here

I know what you mean I love plasmas. I bought the Samsung PN60F5300 model and would have bought the F8500 instead if Best Buy had more in stock or available for delivery. I would have been able to do 2 years no interest with them. Value Electronics still carries them and I would have gotten one if interest free was available for the 2 years.
Either way I am glad I at least picked up another plasma R.I.P!
post #3 of 25 Old 11-21-14, 08:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I can hear "taps"playing in the background. It's sad indeed. And Todd,your right. Manufacturers have been beating the war drums against plasma for a long time. I saw this first hand in retail. Not overtly, but more subliminally, with the way they pushed 120/240, LED, LCD. Most ppl don't have/take time to learn about this stuff. I'd have guys come in and say "I need led, and 240". I'd say why is that? ...cause my "______" told me.
I hope OLED can overcome the obstacles, and find affordability. If my plasma died today, I'd probably just draw hieroglyphics on the wall... Lol
Good piece Todd.
post #4 of 25 Old 11-21-14, 10:34 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
I have a friend that one told me the best set would be the one that looked the best at the store.
I was like what? You can't go by that the store purposely sets them bright and saturated to get you to buy one and the lights in the store is another issue.
He's like yeah but LED are the best.
The store employees don't help either. A Best Buy employee told me a few years back that a Westinghouse tv with 1080 was a better choice over any other brand like panasonic with 720.
I didn't but that and I was new to this at the time.
I always go by expert reviews that have actually tested the tv and second the consumers. If both go hand in hand it's a nice set.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-22-14, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

^^^
This is exactly why places like Value Electronics are so valuable. We need retailers that are invested in understanding the technologies they are selling.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-22-14, 08:20 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
+10.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-23-14, 11:25 AM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Thanks Todd and willis! We're scheduled to receive our last allocation of 51" and 64" F8500s the week of 12/1. Good supply as I scooped up all of the last production, but no more after this allotment.

Very sad to see PDP come to an end.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #8 of 25 Old 11-24-14, 11:47 AM
Shackster

Unfortunately to the masses the advantages of plasma just aren't on their radar. My step-son had a large plasma TV which after a few years started to develop problems. Rather than replace it with another plasma, he purchased an even larger (80") LCD. Definitely a poorer picture but he doesn't care.
post #9 of 25 Old 11-25-14, 11:16 AM
Shackster
Jon M Rife

My System

I have three plasmas going strong.

Doubt you could get my FD101 Kuro away from me with a gun.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they all stay alive as long as I do!
post #10 of 25 Old 11-25-14, 03:27 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
^^^
This is exactly why places like Value Electronics are so valuable. We need retailers that are invested in understanding the technologies they are selling.
Good advice, Todd. Bricks-and-mortar is "old-school," but good ones provide unbeatable support and knowledge before & after the sale.

I appreciate this lead, and will be placing an order for mine this evening. I walked into a Best Buy looking for one, but got talked out of it. Wound up getting a Samsung 4K LED UN55HU6950F. Features are very nice, but I'm a picture-man and was very, very disappointed with the surreal look (even after calibration, which turned out worse).

Best Buy says the Sammy PNF8500 goes on sale Black Friday, but also that their are a limited number of them. I am unable and unwilling to camp out and fight for one, so imagine my surprise and pure joy when I journeyed further down this thread and found your post!!!
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! well, okay

Value Electronics, here I come. I only hope they still have one available!