The Immersive Sound War is Just Getting Started - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 40 Old 02-24-15, 12:00 PM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System
I certainly hope so as far as the industry is concerned. For me I would love to see display tech improve more versus more speakers to the mic.

So what does Atmosphere do to PLLz? Does it replace it? Should I convert my highs into ceiling speakers for Atmos?

"Fear is the mind killer..."

-- Paul Atreides
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 Old 02-24-15, 12:28 PM
HTS Reviewer

Re: The Immersive Sound War is Just Getting Started

Quote:
mpompey wrote: View Post
So what does Atmosphere do to PLLz? Does it replace it? Should I convert my highs into ceiling speakers for Atmos?
Two things. Dolby Atmos is a method of encoding objects with metadata into a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. So Atmos-enabled AVRs can decode those objects and place them in 3D space. This can be scaled to any number of speakers within the Atmos spec, rather than relying on just 5.1 or 7.1 discrete channels. Dolby Surround (released in conjunction with Dolby Atmos) is the new up-mixer, which does replace PLIIz. So stereo or 5.1/7.1 soundtracks can be expanded to make use of additional surround and height speakers.

In my opinion, if you're willing to do the in-ceiling installation and upgrade your receiver, Atmos/Dolby Surround are worth trying. You may not notice as big of a difference going from PLIIz to Atmos as someone going from, say, PLIIx to Atmos, since you are already adjusted to additional height information.
post #23 of 40 Old 02-24-15, 01:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System

Okay thanks for the clarification. I guess I need to demo a good Atmos setup here in Philly to determine if
it is worth the upgrade from my IIz setup.

It feels like IIz was barely out before it was getting replaced. Yamaha has always had "Presence" speakers in their layout so it wasn't that big of a move for me coming from Yamaha to Onkyo Gear.

Probably wont' be upgrading anytime soon. Next work projects in my room are:
* - Cannibalizing my home office space and adding in a riser for a second row of seats.
* - Moving up from the 8500UB to the 5030UB 3D projector

"Fear is the mind killer..."

-- Paul Atreides
post #24 of 40 Old 02-24-15, 01:19 PM
HTS Reviewer

Although the processing is different, an Atmos 7.1.4 system will work similarly to a Yamaha system with front and rear presence speakers. The current Yamaha receivers can do both.
post #25 of 40 Old 03-12-15, 01:37 AM
Shackster

Having heard both Atmos and Auro. Auro is where it is at. Atmos just has the backing of Dolby ($) behind it. Auro is the better technology.
post #26 of 40 Old 03-25-15, 11:34 AM
Shackster

I still haven't had the opportunity to hear any of the 3D formats as there are very few theaters near me (Ohio). The closest one is about 2 hours away which turns a 2-3 hour movie into an all day event. While I am excited about the concept, it still hasn't caught on very fast and now there are 3 competing formats.
As far as my home theater is concerned. I am in the process of (finally) transitioning from 5.1 to 7.1 to it will most likely be some time before I make the jump to any 3D format.
post #27 of 40 Old 03-26-15, 11:40 AM
Shackster

My System

Like 4k TVs it's still very early in the game and there is not much content yet. But the possibilities look great for expanding what is now being done. With digital processing and computing power continiuing their march how the soundstage is manipulated should be very interesting to see. As I like to say we don't know what the future will bring but that's what keeps things interesting. To see how these forces develop as the market matures and picks winners and losers should be good to watch.
post #28 of 40 Old 03-29-15, 05:50 PM
Shackster

This it's a war I will not be competing in anytime soon. Not that I have anything against it. I am still running 5.1 and that's just great for me. Maybe in my next theater. Now my question is if a movie is encoded for atmos will it still play normally in 5.1?
post #29 of 40 Old 03-29-15, 08:01 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
ps3forlife wrote: View Post
This it's a war I will not be competing in anytime soon. Not that I have anything against it. I am still running 5.1 and that's just great for me. Maybe in my next theater. Now my question is if a movie is encoded for atmos will it still play normally in 5.1?
yes. It just plays the core track.
post #30 of 40 Old 03-30-15, 09:06 AM
HTS Reviewer

Still waiting for that official DTS:X launch in March. They are running out of days.