The Immersive Sound War is Just Getting Started - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 40 Old 03-30-15, 10:19 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
Still waiting for that official DTS:X launch in March. They are running out of days.
I am waiting also. There's a bunch of speculation out there. I'm waiting for the record to be straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 03-30-15, 04:55 PM
Senior Shackster

TomFord

My System
Re: The Immersive Sound War is Just Getting Started

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Dolby Atmos took the 3D Immersive Sound universe by storm in the second half of 2014, grabbing headlines and appearing confidently comfortable as a legitimate

DTS-X will undoubtedly challenge Dolby Atmos in the U.S. market.

updates versus the necessity of new equipment) will become much clearer.

Image Credits: Dolby, Auro Technologies, DTS

Anyone know when the content being available wars are going to begin?
post #33 of 40 Old 03-31-15, 07:42 AM
Shackster

Well, its the last day of the month. Hopefully we get an announcement today. The "content being available" wars will probably start this fall, or shortly after the first movie with DTS is released. Manufacturers seem to be readily supporting all 3 formats so it looks like it will just be a matter of getting the various studios to accept the formats.
post #34 of 40 Old 03-31-15, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I've reached-out to PR at DTS. Often times asking a pointed question to any of these large companies is like throwing a rock into a well...you might hear it hit the bottom, or it might never make a noise. Smaller companies are eager to talk and share information to generate buzz and excitement about their products...larger companies, not so much. They typically operate on their own timeframe and are incredibly tight-lipped.

If I hear anything, I'll pass it along.

The wording of DTS's original DTS-X press release (in terms of a release date) was a bit loose, if my memory serves me correct. I believe their exact wording was something like "is planned for a March release"... leaves wiggle room. PR departments often have that wiggle room subtly built-in to their press releases, unless the product is already available.
post #35 of 40 Old 03-31-15, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

The official unveiling date is Thursday, April 9th (at DTS HQ).
post #36 of 40 Old 04-02-15, 10:11 PM
Senior Shackster

TomFord

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I've reached-out to PR at DTS. Often times asking a pointed question to any of these large companies is like throwing a rock into a well...you might hear it hit the bottom, or it might never make a noise. Smaller companies are eager to talk and share information to generate buzz and excitement about their products...larger companies, not so much. They typically operate on their own timeframe and are incredibly tight-lipped.

If I hear anything, I'll pass it along.

The wording of DTS's original DTS-X press release (in terms of a release date) was a bit loose, if my memory serves me correct. I believe their exact wording was something like "is planned for a March release"... leaves wiggle room. PR departments often have that wiggle room subtly built-in to their press releases, unless the product is already available.

Thanks.

I just do not understand Dolby Atmos approach at all. Makes no sense long term. If they were just trying to be like a crook in the bad part of town, and pull one on you for one occasion, then I get it.
After releasing a new technology on what I believe was 10/29/14, logic tells me you would want content readily available on every media form you could tap. So while friends are over for example, and hear elements of audio they've never heard e.g. helicopter flying over. Knowing it's flight path if you were to close your eyes hearing it come from a bigger height as it dropped down in altitude above you before re-accelerating and climbing as it goes to your back right.

Transformers 18 became available the day the firmware update did. Great movies like Guardians of the Galaxy (a classic in my opinion) did not have it, and a total of about 5 I believe are all 2015 will bring.

Will the introduction of DTS:X change this?

Feels like I'm missing some aspect of this. Want to look and see if the handful of Atmos movies that have been & are to be released are from the same studio, or 1-2 studios.

My gut says they're stuck in negotiations with someone upstream and nowhere near a # both the represented parties will agree on
post #37 of 40 Old 04-03-15, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

The rollout has been slow, for sure. There are quite a few Atmos titles in theaters...hopefully some friendly competition will up the amount of titles being released!
post #38 of 40 Old 04-14-15, 09:41 AM
HTS Reviewer

Interviews with DTS after the press intro to DTS:X

post #39 of 40 Old 04-20-15, 11:16 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec...x-first-listen
Here's a fun read. Lots of insight. I especially liked the programmer/mixer section.
post #40 of 40 Old 04-21-15, 09:14 AM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-tec...x-first-listen
Here's a fun read. Lots of insight. I especially liked the programmer/mixer section.
Interesting to see the reports coming in from those with first-hand experience. DTS:X definitely sounds very promising. While I'm happy with Atmos so far, I'm also glad I haven't committed to an AVR yet. I'm looking forward to trying DTS:X too.

I don't follow Audioholics closely, and don't have any allegiance to a certain audio format. But... all the material I have read from Audioholics seems heavily biased against Dolby and in favor of DTS, even before they had heard any of the 3D formats.