Rotel Releases a New Audiophile Pre/Pro (RSP-1582) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 02-04-15, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Rotel Releases a New Audiophile Pre/Pro (RSP-1582)

Quote:
dschlic1 wrote: View Post
It seems strange that a high end, high priced AV equipment would not have the latest decoders etc. All of the missing items are available on currently shipping products. I wonder how much "painstaking" care went into the design?
I don't think you're the only one wondering this...obviously R&D for products such as this spans a large timeframe, and some of the "missing pieces" aren't yet fully defined. Some of those pieces will be added via firmware updates, others may evolve beyond where they are today.

I think it's important to remember that real world development and manufacturing doesn't move at the speed of the internet. And typical buyers' want lists and concerns are probably less picky than what we can drum-up.

Rotel does address 4K compatibility...does offer HDMI 2.0... so those issues are moot. They aren't revealing enough info to analyze how it's capabilities align with UHD Blu-ray standards (granted, those standards were only released last month) on the video side.

Definitely a tough one for forward thinking consumers. But, as Peter points out: high-end 7.1 and HD compliant gear is fully functional and (when set-up properly) will create an incredible cinematic experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 02-04-15, 02:30 PM
Dave

Rotel is known for not jumping on the band wagon, but offering flexible components in the changing technology interim. I've owned the Rotel RSP-960AX and RSP-1068 (which is still in service, supplying lossless Dolby and DTS via the analog outs of an OPPO BDP-95). I also have a Rotel HDCD player that has been in service for over 10 years, and sounds fantastic. As long as the Dolby Atmos and DTS X upgrades are simply added as a firmware download, I can see considering this prepro when I upgrade. I've never had any issues with Rotel products in over 15 years of patronage; it's quality gear.
post #13 of 16 Old 02-04-15, 02:33 PM
HTS Reviewer

Great points Todd. I think UHD/4k, Blu-ray, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X are all here to stay in one form or another. Sure, the hardware is still catching up, but we're in an age where that is happening extremely rapidly. The concept-to-production cycle time is decreasing for the high volume companies with lots of R&D dollars.

Rotel is a lower volume brand with a longer refresh cycle. It probably suits them (and similar brands) well to gauge success of certain new features based on sales in the more rapidly-evolving entry level and mid-level AVR market.

Just because enthusiasts want it, doesn't mean manufacturers will build it, and just because manufacturers build it doesn't mean enthusiasts or average consumers will buy it. There is risk on both sides.

Don't forget to stock up on HDMI 2.0 cables
post #14 of 16 Old 02-05-15, 08:20 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

This is a nice looking unit. I like the front display a lot. I am not really into the smaller single line displays and the endless scrolling up and down through menus. I know most of them are viewed on the screen however but sometimes it would be nice not to have to turn the huge panel on just to set something.

Did they mention any room correction software with this... that really seems to be where the "value add" is coming these days.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-05-15, 09:24 AM
HTS Reviewer

Agreed, the Rotels have a nice look. I preferred the look of the -10xx series (with the faux rack ears) but the -15xx series is still pretty classy IMO. Great build quality and performance with no frills. I suspect some of the high end processor manufacturers leave out auto room correction under the assumption that they will be used in rooms with ideal speaker/seating location and proper acoustic treatment. The current AVR and Pre/Pro models do not advertise automated setup/room correction but can be configured manually. Both have a manual 10-band PEQ as well. I would suspect if they were adding automated room correction to this one it would have been advertised. So it looks like it will share the same manual configuration options as the previous ones.
post #16 of 16 Old 02-05-15, 02:43 PM
HTS Reviewer

Ok... working on getting one of these to review. Looks promising, stay tuned.