Home Theater Shack Hosts "The 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event" - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 03-07-15, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Home Theater Shack Hosts "The 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event"

“Guess who just got back today

Them wild-eyed boys that had been away

Haven't changed that much to say

But man, I still think them cats are crazy”
– Thin Lizzy

Yes, friendly readers, the boys are back and ready to get their hands dirty! Over the last several years Home Theater Shack has delivered several exceptional audiophile evaluation events for three different price classes of loudspeakers ($1000, $2,500, and $3,000). The resulting write-ups have become invaluable resources, giving the rest of us a chance to see how highly regarded models stack-up against the competition in a controlled environment. If you’re wondering how popular these events have been, consider this: The results threads have generated more than 200,000 views. That’s a lot of eyes combing over critical impressions formed by expert ears. If you haven't taken the time to read the results, stop what you're doing and click on the supplied links. It's must read material.

This time, a team composed of Joe Alexander, Leonard Caillouet, Wayne Myers, and Sonnie Parker are joining forces to execute a “High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event” with a few non-amp twists. The event, taking place at Sonnie Parker’s dialed-in Cedar Creek Cinema, will feature eight world-class amps, including the Denon X5200 AVR, Krell Duo 175, Mark Levinson 532H, Parasound HALO A31, Pass Labs X250.5, Sunfire TGA-7401, Van Alstine Fet Valve 400R, and Wyred 4 Sound ST-500 MK II.

Chane's new A5rx-c will be one of four speakers used to evaluate the amps.

The team will be using four exciting speaker models to evaluate the amps*. The list includes Acoustic Zen’s Crescendo MK II (courtesy of Robert Lee, Acoustic Zen Technologies), Spatial Hologram’s M1 Turbo v2 (courtesy of Clayton Shaw, Spatial Audio), Chane Music & Cinema’s new A5rx-c (courtesy of Jon Lane, Chane), and Martin Logan’s ESL. A spin-off of the event results will be official speaker reviews of the Cresendo MK IIs, M1 Turbo v2s, and the A5rx-cs. We’ll have those reviews published in future months.

In addition to the amp and speaker evaluations, the team will also perform a direct comparison of Dirac Live and Audyssey XT32.

HTS Sponsor miniDSP is supplying a nanoAVR DL for the the Dirac Live vs XT32 evaluation.

The event is taking place this coming Thursday (March 12th) through Sunday (March 14th). Updates and comments will be posted on our 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event discussion thread, in addition, we’ll carry photos on our Facebook feed. Stay tuned for more information!

*Speaker cables/interconnects courtesy of Marrow Audio; miniDSP nanoAVR DL courtesy of miniDSP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-07-15, 03:23 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Home Theater Shack Hosts "The 2015 High-End Amplifier Evaluation Event"

That sounds like quite a feat! And only 4 days...ya'll are goning to be busy! That's a great selection of speakers & an even more impressive array of amplifiers. 8 ams with 4 speakers, that's 32 combinations & 2 separate evals per set. That's 64 evaluations in 4 days! HTS is kicking it up a notch! Looking forward to the write up guy's. Couldn't think of a better crew to do it....have fun!!!
post #3 of 21 Old 03-07-15, 08:50 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Can't wait until the results are posted.
Thanks in advance for the effort y'all put into this.
post #4 of 21 Old 03-08-15, 12:27 PM
Senior Shackster
koyaan

My System

I wish I could be there for the comparison! You don't often get the chance to compare amp performance.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-08-15, 12:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Call me biased... the Krell will destroy the competition

(can't wait for results...)

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #6 of 21 Old 03-08-15, 04:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Really looking forward to the Dirac vs Audyssey XT32 as I am looking at a Dirac and haven't seen much on them.

Is the Audyssey XT32 a outboard EQ as well?
post #7 of 21 Old 03-08-15, 06:10 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

I have no idea what the eval plan is, but if it is a double blind affair I would like to see a $250 Sony added to the mix, just for fun.
post #8 of 21 Old 03-09-15, 10:17 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Awesome event! You're going to tackle the amp question, eh? That should be interesting. Very glad also that you'll be comparing XT32 and Dirac, and that the new A5 will be put through the wringer. I'm so glad that this tradition is continuing at HTS and that Sonnie will be involved again. Looking forward to it, and subscribing to the relevant threads.
post #9 of 21 Old 03-09-15, 07:14 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I, for one, will be starting with the assumption that there are differences in the amps to be heard. And we will do everything we can to experience them and quantify them if possible.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #10 of 21 Old 03-10-15, 10:58 AM
Senior Shackster
Sean

My System

Under what conditions will you be assessing the differences in the amps if I might ask?
I assume you'll be level matching them, and doing double-blind comparisons?

The Audyssey vs Dirac will be interesting, though it would be great if you could include ARC, MCCAC and YPAO as well