Essence Eliminates Dealers to Cut Prices on Its Electrostatic Speakers (Model 1200, Model 1600) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 23 Old 05-08-15, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Sonnie used to have the Montis. He spent a bit of time with SVS speakers I think, and now has the Electromotion ESL. I wonder how the two compare, now that I think about it (the Montis and the ESL that is).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 05-08-15, 11:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Re: Essence Eliminates Dealers to Cut Prices on Its Electrostatic Speakers (Model 1200, Model 1600)

I've had my eye on this company for a while, good to hear their prices have dropped. Looking forward to Wayne's review.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #13 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 12:22 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: Essence Eliminates Dealers to Cut Prices on Its Electrostatic Speakers (Model 1200, Model 1600)

Quote:
sharok wrote: View Post
Hi Wayne,

Do you know what model of Martin Logan speakers does Sonnie have?
He now has the ESL for mains (as discussed in this thread), the Motion 12 for surround (2), and the StageX center.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 12:33 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
Sonnie used to have the Montis. He spent a bit of time with SVS speakers I think, and now has the Electromotion ESL. I wonder how the two compare, now that I think about it (the Montis and the ESL that is).
There was some concern about the ESL being able to fill his room. We pushed them hard back in March, for awhile with Dennis's smaller Exposure 2010S amp, which we could hear clipping, then later with the Parasound Halo A31, with which we could run them unbearably loud with no hint of distortion.
post #15 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 08:40 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

^^ That's pretty amazing. Is there a significant difference in sound quality or soundstage or other characteristics? The Montis is about five times as expensive as the ESL, so presumably there's a reason for that other than sheer output. But maybe we're deep into diminishing returns here.
post #16 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 09:37 AM
Shackster

Hi Wayne,

I was a little confused with the way you refer to Martin Logan speakers. ElectroStatic Loudspeaker (ESL) is just the type of the speaker, not the model name.

I think I finally figured that out. So you refer to ElectroMotion speakers as "ESL" (I hope I'm right).

I wish you could compare Essence and Montis. ElectroMotion is the lowest end ESL in the series. But still it is better than no reviews on Essence at all.

I think when you hear the Essence, you can guess how good or bad it is, since you have trained ears.

Last edited by sharok; 05-09-15 at 10:29 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 11:41 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
^^ That's pretty amazing. Is there a significant difference in sound quality or soundstage or other characteristics? The Montis is about five times as expensive as the ESL, so presumably there's a reason for that other than sheer output. But maybe we're deep into diminishing returns here.
The Montis is definitely a better speaker, in more ways than just output level capability. But Sonnie uses subwoofers and runs Audyssey xt32, which in his case tends to wash a lot of the difference away in practical terms.
post #18 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 12:00 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
sharok wrote: View Post
Hi Wayne,

I was a little confused with the way you refer to Martin Logan speakers. ElectroStatic Loudspeaker (ESL) is just the type of the speaker, not the model name.

I think I finally figured that out. So you refer to ElectroMotion speakers as "ESL" (I hope I'm right).

I wish you could compare Essence and Montis. ElectroMotion is the lowest end ESL in the series. But still it is better than no reviews on Essence at all.

I think when you hear the Essence, you can guess how good or bad it is, since you have trained ears.
I am going to leave 90% of the responsibility for the confusion at the feet of MartinLogan, bless their souls. As you point out, they have the Premium ESL series, with various model names, and then the ElectromMotion series, with the ESL model. Their numenclature is EM-ESL. It is commonly (around here, anyway) shortened to just ESL as the model name. It is indeed confusing.

I will be comparing to the EM - ESL because that is what I have. I would be tickled pink to be the owner of a pair of Montis.
post #19 of 23 Old 05-09-15, 02:08 PM
Shackster

You're correct. For some reason they call that one model EM-ESL. It is odd.

No matter what you compare it to, it is still a big step.

I know this stuff are time consuming and I really appreciate you doing this.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-13-15, 07:07 AM
Shackster

Really looking forward to this review (and others) of the Essence 1200 speakers. As mentioned the price is really excellent for a "full-range" ESL (when complementing with subs you basically get a two-way system). I've heard the Final 400i before (and use Acoustat Spectras in my current setup) but the Essence should be a major improvement to that speaker. Too bad they don't have a buy & try option, then I would probably order a pair today.