LG Shows-Off A Display that Hangs Like Wallpaper - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
LG Shows-Off A Display that Hangs Like Wallpaper

Imagine hanging your television like a sheet of wallpaper.

Impossible?

In fact, it's not.

LG recently showcased a wallpaper-like OLED television.

It’s no secret that OLED technology is heralded as one of the most intriguing display advancements of the last decade-plus; it’s definitely one that enthusiasts desperately want to see developed to maximum potential. Aside from its highly touted imaging capabilities, OLED possesses the ability to be produced in very thin, bendable, sheets. This is due to the fact that OLED televisions (unlike LCD sets) do not require backlighting to produce an image. Instead, OLED pixels emit light when stimulated by electrical currents. That’s a big separator between the two display techs and the reason that OLED displays create uniform images with tantalizing contrast capabilities.

Last week, as reported by the Yonhap News Agency, LG Display Company unveiled an incredibly cool 55-inch display that sticks to a wall using nothing more than a magnet. The display is detachable and bendable.

This "wallpaper television" is only 0.04-inches thick and weighs a mere 4.2-pounds, making it nearly 75-percent slimmer than the company’s current Flagship 55-inch OLED display. It was highlighted as one of the company’s future display products at a media event, along with a convex shaped OLED display designed for digital signage.

According to Yonhap News, Yeo Sang-deog (head of LG Display’s Division) has said that LG will continue to increase OLED production to meet consumer demand. The company believes that they will meet this year's demand by July or August 2015. Yonhap is also reporting that LG might introduce an OLED panel as large as 99-inches by the end of this year. Of course, it’s entirely impossible to tell if LG is simply attempting to apply pressure to their competition with grandiose size predictions. One thing is for sure, OLED displays have proven very difficult to reliably produce and most manufacturers (save for Samsung) have opted to concentrate on LCD tech.

As for the future of wallpaper-like displays, it isn’t clear if LG plans to pursue this kind of design for its home consumer-based market. The company is currently saying that it plans to investigate applications for bendable and flexible displays in both the wearable screen and vehicle dashboard segments. For now, OLED seekers will need to select from LG’s current crop of offerings (55, 65, and 77-inch displays). The company expects to sell upwards of 600,000 units by the end of the year.

Image Credit: LG Display
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: LG Shows-Off A Display that Hangs Like Wallpaper

The implications of this are simply incredible. If you could unroll a 108-inch screen that weighs 10-pounds?

WOW
post #3 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 02:22 PM
Shackster

Wao, bet this tech will be or is very expensive to implement. Wonder how the viewing angles will be.

JK
post #4 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Because it's OLED, the viewing angles should be like Plasma (if not better).

As for expense...you can bank on expensive initially (if it ever comes to consumer market), but, like anything else, price points would fall if it sells well.

What I didn't discuss is the fact that this kind of tech will require an external "brains" unit to power/run the display. That means wires. It would probably be designed to minimize visible wires, but installation would definitely require a tad more than just rolling it out on a wall.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 02:50 PM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System

Are the magnets glued onto the wall, or attached in some other manner?
post #6 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Not sure...I'd imagine a glued-on magnetic surface could easily hold 4-pounds.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 07:58 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Pretty neat if I don't say so.

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #8 of 19 Old 05-22-15, 08:42 PM
Elite Shackster

This is you see in movies from like the year 2342

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #9 of 19 Old 05-25-15, 06:55 AM
Senior Shackster
fschris

My System

its amazing some of the stuff the are building in the back rooms of these companies... but all we are getting are some less than sub par LED//LCD being pumped out!!
post #10 of 19 Old 05-26-15, 01:25 PM
Elite Shackster
Mike

My System

I am thinking this will eventually be incorporated with both wireless power and connection, maybe the magnet will be the conductor for both. Everything else seems to be going wireless, why not this?

Eventually this will probably replace rear projection, I am going to start saving my shekels now

BeeMan458 wrote:

It's easier for you to prove I'm crazy than it is for me to prove I'm not.