More From Onkyo: Info on Its New Receivers and Tackling the Current Tech Rush - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 06-30-15, 10:30 AM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
Quote:
sga2 wrote: View Post
But have they finally fixed the HDMI board problems?
Are there reliable figures out there that show what percentage of units had/have known HDMI board issues? I know it was a common issue at one point, but the only time I see it mentioned anymore is when people ask this question. I don't see why Onkyo is still singled out.
The Onkyo issue is big enough to justify their out-of-warranty repair program.

Personally, I had a new 3007 which had the HDMI problem after 2 years, was repaired (for free by Onkyo), then died again in 3 months. The 3007 was replaced by a new 1010, which I bought while the 3007 was being fixed to upgrade to Multi XT32 (very nice, btw), that died after 1.5 years. It was repaired about 2 months ago. Both of these spent their entire lives in a room that never gets above 75F (60sf basement closet with no exposed walls and no other sources of heat except the AV gear) and mounted on an open wire shelf which is completely open on 4 sides and approx. 5-6" space above and below to the next higher/lower piece of gear.

A friend of mine had a mid range Onkyo HDMI AVR, not the TX-NR series but I do not recall the exact model number, which died with similar symptoms (loss of audio, loss of network, etc.).

It's very well documented but I do not know statistics. It's unfortunate, too, as these (and my Onkyo CD player and my older non-HDMI Onkyo receiver) are/were otherwise great gear for the money.

Last edited by sga2; 06-30-15 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 06-30-15, 10:39 AM
Senior Shackster
SGA

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Quote:
But have they finally fixed the HDMI board problems?
I asked Onkyo about HDMI issues, they didn't seem immediately aware of any overarching issue and said that HDMI should be fine on the new units.
I was told the same thing about the x008 series when I was looking to replace my 3007 which had HDMI board failure, twice. I decided to leap to the x010 series but had an HDMI failure in 1.5 years. Three failures in 1600 hours total service...

Until they can explain the specific issue and what they've done to address the issue, I am unconvinced.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-30-15, 09:47 PM
Senior Shackster
SGA

I will say this... Onkyo fixed my 3007 and 1010 for free. For the 3007 I took to a local shop but the 1010 had to be FedEx'd out of state (Onkyo cost both ways). 3007 took about 3 weeks to get back but the 1010 was turned around in a week. While the failures themselves are frustrating, they fixed both and I am happy with the customer service. That goes a long way.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-01-15, 08:50 AM
HTS Reviewer

Re: More From Onkyo: Info on Its New Receivers and Tackling the Current Tech Rush

Good to know. I agree, exceptional customer service adds a lot of value to a brand beyond the capability of their products.
post #15 of 17 Old 07-01-15, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: More From Onkyo: Info on Its New Receivers and Tackling the Current Tech Rush

Quote:
I was told the same thing about the x008 series when I was looking to replace my 3007 which had HDMI board failure, twice. I decided to leap to the x010 series but had an HDMI failure in 1.5 years. Three failures in 1600 hours total service...

Until they can explain the specific issue and what they've done to address the issue, I am unconvinced.
I understand your sentiment. The proof will be in the pudding, as they say.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-10-15, 07:29 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
From Onkyo’s perspective, the enthusiast world (and its opinions) matters, but the “average customer” is a much larger part of their overall sales. It comes down to dollars and cents (and product control), and the company feels like they can still deliver acceptable room EQ with AccuEQ. My take is that the average customer could care less if Audyssey is involved and the likelihood that the average customer will spend hours properly tweaking an audio system is low. Perhaps Onkyo has a good point.
I can understand leaving it off their lower end systems and maybe their mid range stuff but the average consumer is not buying a TX-NR3030. Unless they improve the AccuEQ system dramatically I would not consider another Onkyo receiver for myself but I would still recommend them to someone that was just looking for a good bang for the buck receiver that didn't care about room eq.
post #17 of 17 Old 07-10-15, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

You're not the only one that shares that sentiment, Mike. And I know many folks were holding their breath as Onkyo rolled-out higher end models during year one of AccuEQ...hoping that Audyssey would be included.

It's over, though. I don't think Audyssey will be coming back...and Onkyo seems optimistic that version two of AccuEQ is better than version one. I have the manual from their latest receiver line...and plan to look over the AccuEQ information. If enough information is available, I'll compare and contrast V1 and V2 of the software.