LG Wins the 2015 Value Electronics Television Shootout - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 28 Old 07-09-15, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: LG Wins the 2015 Value Electronics Television Shootout

I actually address upscaling in an article about UDH and HDR that I'm about to post.

But, as Robert says, upscaling across the board was excellent...so much so, that 1080p material could easily assumed to be straight UHD content. Probably similar to how 40-inch 720p televisions nearly impossible to discern from 1080p from normal viewing distances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 07-09-15, 04:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Robert

I have a question regarding the UN78JS9500.

I have seriously been considering this TV as my next purchase.

Yesterday, while studying it at Best Buy, I noticed a reflection on the right side of the panel. That reflection was from a bright SONY sign about 1/2 half the store behind me.

What I noticed was, because it was on the end of the curved screen, the reflection literally reflected back on itself which created a reflection across the entire panel.

Have you noticed this on the 78" JS9500 sets while getting one ready for the ShootOut?

Because of what I saw, I am a little nervous ordering the 78JS9500 and have been considering the UN78JS8600 flat edge lit that is coming or the coming 65EF9500 flat OLED.

I would like to go FALD this time around but the reflections possibly created by the curve scares me.
post #23 of 28 Old 07-09-15, 07:54 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Jim, good observation. I'm not a big fan of curved screens. They are supposed to reduce reflections and in most cases they do help, but as you so wisely noted curved screens can contribute to increased reflections across the screen. With that said, curved screens do help reduce most reflections.

I love Samsung's JS8600, but the JS9500 is a nice step up with its deeper black level and better screen uniformity and contrast control across the screen. My first choice would be Sony's XBR-75X940C, but in your application I think the l/r speakers make the overall width wider than your available opening.

Not sure exactly when the 65EF9500 flat OLED will launch, but it looks like end of August.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #24 of 28 Old 07-09-15, 11:44 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Robert Zohn wrote: View Post
Jim, good observation. I'm not a big fan of curved screens. They are supposed to reduce reflections and in most cases they do help, but as you so wisely noted curved screens can contribute to increased reflections across the screen. With that said, curved screens do help reduce most reflections.

I love Samsung's JS8600, but the JS9500 is a nice step up with its deeper black level and better screen uniformity and contrast control across the screen. My first choice would be Sony's XBR-75X940C, but in your application I think the l/r speakers make the overall width wider than your available opening.

Not sure exactly when the 65EF9500 flat OLED will launch, but it looks like end of August.

-Robert
Thanks Robert

I would love the 940c but why the speakers on it's side or maybe, why didn't Sony produce two versions of the 940c, one with speakers and one without?

Yes, I realize the FALD is much better but why did Samsung make their top of the line curved only????????? Another mystery of life.

You've seen the 8600? I didn't realize that it was out or maybe you got to view it at a Samsung demo for authorized dealers. My guess is it is exactly like the 78JS9100 but flat. Since I don't have a dark room maybe the 8600 would work??? The 9100 side by side with the 9500 is a close match while watching Samsung's 4K demo at Best Buy's lit up stores. I can see a little difference but I have to be looking for it????????????>

The OLED EF9500, if it comes out with HDR I might go down in size. LG is probably holding that back until 2016??

Anyway, I thank you.

Sometimes it is tough finding the correct display to view for a couple years until the next big upgrade arrives. Two years ago, it was easy, 64F8500. Two years ago? Now that is scary. It almost seems like it was last week.

Thanks

JimShaw
post #25 of 28 Old 07-10-15, 07:19 AM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Time moves on very quickly, especially in our beloved bleeding edge advanced technologies.

The main advantages of the JS9500 vs. JS8600 are:
  • Better screen uniformity
  • Slightly lower MLL
  • Less blooming/haloing

Our first allocation of 78" JS8600s are scheduled to arrive Friday, July 17th.

-Robert

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
post #26 of 28 Old 07-10-15, 02:25 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Time moves on very quickly, especially in our beloved bleeding edge advanced technologies.

The main advantages of the JS9500 vs. JS8600 are:
  • Better screen uniformity
  • Slightly lower MLL
  • Less blooming/haloing

Our first allocation of 78" JS8600s are scheduled to arrive Friday, July 17th.

-Robert

Robert

I have sat in front of the 65" 9500 and the 65" 9000 which were side by side and playing the same Samsung 4K demo feed trying to discover if I were able to see a difference between the FALD and Edge Lit

I watch back and fourth, back and fourth trying to see the differences in PQ. I did see a small difference in black but very small.

If the 9000/8600 was by itself in my home, I would probably never notice a thing. Or I am telling myself this??? Because I don't want a curve

Uniformity? I probably would not notice a difference between the two sets. Or, once again, am I telling myself this???

I am not as fanatic with blacks, uniformity as most of the members on AVS. All I want is a good picture and I am thinking I might get away with the flat 8600 vs the curved 9500? OR, again, am I telling myself this because I do not want a curve???

I do worry about blooming and haloing. Would there be that great of a difference between the two sets?

I really look forward to you getting the 8600 and hope you do a little testing to see how good/bad it is. That will help me decide: curve or no curve.

JimShaw

Last edited by JimShaw; 07-10-15 at 05:21 PM.
post #27 of 28 Old 07-10-15, 09:07 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

I will check out the differences with the JS9500 and JS8600 side-by-side to definitely answer the differences in haloing, perceived contrast and other picture attributes and report back. I'll take the best possible still images and hope to be able to share what I see when I post my findings. Elements like blooming/haloing and perceived contrast should be able to mostly come through good still photography.

Of course, color accuracy could not be judged over the Internet, but I suspect the JS8600 will do a fine job decoding and displaying rec. 709 as well as most of P3, DCI as they are both in Samsung flagship JS series that are slated for HDR/WCG.

Stay tuned for the flat JS8600 vs. the curved JS9500 comparison posts!

-Robert

Personal equipment:
post #28 of 28 Old 07-10-15, 10:08 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
I will check out the differences with the JS9500 and JS8600 side-by-side to definitely answer the differences in haloing, perceived contrast and other picture attributes and report back. I'll take the best possible still images and hope to be able to share what I see when I post my findings. Elements like blooming/haloing and perceived contrast should be able to mostly come through good still photography.

Of course, color accuracy could not be judged over the Internet, but I suspect the JS8600 will do a fine job decoding and displaying rec. 709 as well as most of P3, DCI as they are both in Samsung flagship JS series that are slated for HDR/WCG.

Stay tuned for the flat JS8600 vs. the curved JS9500 comparison posts!

-Robert
Friday 10th

Robert

Exciting

You don't need to take photos for me. Photos are a waste of time coming across the Internet. They never show what is really there.

All I need is your impression.

A big thanks to you.

Jim

-----------------

Sat. 11th

P.S.: Today, I drove to a Best Buy that has a 78JS9500. This time, I took a long hard look with one thing in mind and that is "reflection and my family room". I think the 9500 would do OK (over looking the curve) in my room if the 8600 doesn't work out.

Last edited by JimShaw; 07-11-15 at 06:49 PM.