Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 07:12 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Docrog wrote: View Post
Thanks, again, for that information. Although the Yamaha Aventage series is not THX certified, it seems very likely that those same opinions will be relevant to the RX-A3050 DSPs (Atmos, DTS:X and Cinema DSP HD3). I, too, hope that other readers of this thread will also chime in here with their opinions based on 5.x.4 versus 7.x.4 configurations for these up-mixers as they apply to legacy 5.1 & 7.1 Blu-Ray discs.
There are dozens of folks over on AVS Forum with Atmos layouts. Some of them run 5.1.4 systems. One in particular, kbarnes (who also posts here ocassionally), has a room so small that rear surrounds are not possible, but he is very satisfied with his 5.1.4 system (with front heights and top middles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 07:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
THX seems to indicate that the presence channels (when ceiling mounted in top middle and top front) are impactful when added to a 7.1 setup.... And that 7.1._ is a significant jump over 5.1._. That's the initial take from two THX reps, anyway. Once I have the Yamaha in hand, I'll have 7.2.4 running with TF and TM ceiling speakers. The plan is to rig Top Rears for testing...hopefully adding some modules to the mix. If possible, another HTS reviewer will mirror some, or all, of the setup and we'll be able to craft an opinion piece.
Just a little matter of semantics, but there are five pairs of on-ceiling speakers available in Atmos, going, from front to back, front height, top front, top middle, top rear, and rear height. In current products, a 7.1.4 system can run any two pairs of these, as long as they are not adjacent pairs. So you can't designate top front and top middle at the same time. But you could run top front and top rear, or front height and top middle. Or top middle and rear height, or front height and rear height. Or top front and rear height.
post #13 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 10:40 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Fwiw, I've read people saying that 7.x.x is much better than 5.x.x. When I went from 5.3 to 7.3, the effect was more subtle than I expected, but I still enjoy it. Not sure how much it translates to Atmos. I just got my new S/V, and Darryl Wilkinson wrote a story called Dolby Atmos vs Dolby Atmos. I haven't finished it yet, but he covers the formats, and includes Atmos "ready" setups. I can't find it digitally to link however. Maybe ur a subscriber?
Edit: Darryl's story covers 5.1.2 in/on ceiling, 5.1.2 "enabled", 5.1.4 on/in, and 5.1.4 enabled. No 7.x.x. (Or 9/11.x.x lol)

Last edited by willis7469; 08-03-15 at 01:05 AM.
post #14 of 26 Old 08-03-15, 07:45 AM
Shackster
Roger

re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

Yes, I subscribe to S/V and have read the Dolby Atmos article in the current issue. However, the author was mainly comparing the perceived differences between overhead (ceiling) speakers versus Dolby enabled speakers in 5.x.x and 7.x.x layouts. Additionally, his comparison was based on movie soundtracks which were native Dolby Atmos encoded Blu-Rays.

This really isn't the question that I was posing. Since there is a far greater percentage of movies released in native 5.1 compared with native 7.1 "channel" encoding (irrespective of whether they are also Atmos or DTS:X "object" mixes), I'm trying to determine whether there is a significant perceived "improvement" of the soundfield which comes about in a 7.x.4 layout (compared with a 5.x.4) for those native 5.1 movies which are up-mixed by the AVRs DSP algorithms.

Last edited by Docrog; 08-03-15 at 08:40 AM.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-08-15, 12:21 PM
Shackster
Roger

re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

As of last night (Friday, 8/7), at least the following on-line merchants indicate that they NOW have the RX-A3050 in stock: ABT.com, Audiogurus.com, BHphotovideo.com and Onecall.com. There may be others, as well. Good luck to all, and please post your reviews of this AVR within this thread once you've had a chance to evaluate it.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-17-15, 07:37 AM
Shackster
Roger

I have now purchased and installed the RX-A3050 in my 5.2.4 HT (replacing the RX-A3000). The unit is well built and similar in many ways to my older Yamaha, but the remote control is much cheaper (especially, no back lighting) and there no longer are either the previous multichannel pre-inputs (not a deal breaker) or legacy "S" video inputs (believe it or not, requiring me to remove my Elite Laserdisc player from the rack).

I used YPAO to optimize the speakers and then watched "John Wick" (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 & native Atmos). I compared the soundfield created by the Dolby Processor (DSU) to the "adventure" setting of the proprietary Yamaha Cinema DSP HD3 processor. To my ears, there was a more immersive experience with the Dolby DSU compared with the Yamaha DSP. The imaging from the Yamaha DSP was more directed towards front speakers, compared with the Dolby processor which placed me more in the center of the action (especially during the final confrontation which takes place in a thunderstorm). I guess that this was to be expected, as the Yamaha DSP merely extrapolated the presence channels from the 7.1 encoding, whereas the Atmos encoding was designed to place objects in space. Both processors delivered great separation and lifelike gunshot and automotive effects.

I anticipate adding rear surrounds (to upgrade to a 7.2.4 layout) and will re-post on this thread with any further subjective opinions on this and other native Dolby Atmos (and, hopefully soon, DTS:X) Blu-Ray discs.

Lastly, I also find that listening to music which is processed by Yamaha's DSPs is far more detailed than with the choice of Dolby DSPs, irrespective of volume settings. This has been most noticeable when playing back my collection of SACD music.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-17-15, 10:00 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Exciting to be playing with new gear. So there are three ways you could have played John Wick. You could have run it in native Dolby Atmos (bitstreamed from the blu ray player); you could have played it in regular TrueHD and applied DSU (requiring you to have the blu ray player convert to PCM before sending it out); or you could have played it in regular TrueHD and applied the Yamaha DSP processing (also requiring you to have the blu ray player convert to PCM before sending it out). I didn't think that the Yamaha DSP could be applied if the receiver was decoding a native Atmos track, but I could be wrong. The receiver shouldn't allow you to apply DSU if it is also decoding the native Atmos track, as that would be redundant.

I would have thought that playing the Atmos track natively would have been the most natural sounding, but again I don't know if Yamaha DSP modes can be applied on top of that or not. It seems like that would be similar to trying to applied Dolby PLIIx to a track that is already 7.1.
post #18 of 26 Old 09-06-15, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Just an update... I'm in the process of reviewing the RX-A3050 using a 7.2.4 deployment with in-ceiling presence channels. The initial listening sessions have been top-notch...the integration of the presence channels is absolutely fantastic and the AVR has been impressive so far. The full review will be prepared and published by the end of the month.
post #19 of 26 Old 09-07-15, 10:26 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Just an update... I'm in the process of reviewing the RX-A3050 using a 7.2.4 deployment with in-ceiling presence channels. The initial listening sessions have been top-notch...the integration of the presence channels is absolutely fantastic and the AVR has been impressive so far. The full review will be prepared and published by the end of the month.
Cool, looking forward to the review and to having your take on Dolby Atmos. Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using in the ceiling? First time with Atmos I presume?
post #20 of 26 Old 09-08-15, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

First time in my home theater...have experienced Atmos at trade show demos, which gives a hint but is less than an ideal environment.

The in-ceilings are Polk RT70s placed top middle and top front...crossover is currently set at 80 Hz.