Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550) - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 26 Old 09-20-15, 08:21 AM
Shackster
Roger

Re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

I'm not sure whether this information has been previously posted on this thread, but I thought that I would share...... For those of you who haven't been successful in watching the Dolby Atmos short demos (Silent, Conductor Girl, Amaze, Leaf, Unfold) in full Atmos encoding, they are all available on the vudu.com site FOR FREE. All you have to do is register for a VUDU account (no monthly charge or other fees unless you rent or buy a movie) and have the necessary bandwidth to successfully steam their content. Once you've registered at VUDU you can also have that site become the location of your digital movie collection on the cloud, again, for free. I've had a VUDU account since they first started the company and their downloads have always been glitch free and the movies that they offer for rent in "HDX" format (1080p) are reasonably priced ($5.99 for new movies such as "Fast and Furious 7"). Although the audio codecs are currently only Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, they have made statements that they are working on providing Dolby Atmos support for natively encoded movies in the future. I'm pretty sure that VUDU service is embedded in several existing platforms (smart TV, TiVo, PS3/4?), so you might want to check. I hope that this information helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 09-20-15, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

Good tip, Roger.

The Dolby Atmos demo shorts that Roger is referencing are great, quick, watches for folks looking for a quick Atmos test.
post #23 of 26 Old 09-26-15, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Docrog wrote: View Post
I have now purchased and installed the RX-A3050 in my 5.2.4 HT (replacing the RX-A3000). The unit is well built and similar in many ways to my older Yamaha, but the remote control is much cheaper (especially, no back lighting) and there no longer are either the previous multichannel pre-inputs (not a deal breaker) or legacy "S" video inputs (believe it or not, requiring me to remove my Elite Laserdisc player from the rack).

I used YPAO to optimize the speakers and then watched "John Wick" (Dolby TrueHD 7.1 & native Atmos). I compared the soundfield created by the Dolby Processor (DSU) to the "adventure" setting of the proprietary Yamaha Cinema DSP HD3 processor. To my ears, there was a more immersive experience with the Dolby DSU compared with the Yamaha DSP. The imaging from the Yamaha DSP was more directed towards front speakers, compared with the Dolby processor which placed me more in the center of the action (especially during the final confrontation which takes place in a thunderstorm). I guess that this was to be expected, as the Yamaha DSP merely extrapolated the presence channels from the 7.1 encoding, whereas the Atmos encoding was designed to place objects in space. Both processors delivered great separation and lifelike gunshot and automotive effects.

I anticipate adding rear surrounds (to upgrade to a 7.2.4 layout) and will re-post on this thread with any further subjective opinions on this and other native Dolby Atmos (and, hopefully soon, DTS:X) Blu-Ray discs.

Lastly, I also find that listening to music which is processed by Yamaha's DSPs is far more detailed than with the choice of Dolby DSPs, irrespective of volume settings. This has been most noticeable when playing back my collection of SACD music.
Docrog,

Just curious. I have a Yamaha RX-A3000 and I am thinking about trading up to the RX-A3050 like you have. Is it worth the upgrade? Is it a quantum leap over the RX-A3000? I am still pretty happy with my 3000. I know there are new sound formats but my 3000 is still working good. What are your thoughts based on your experience so far. I have a 7.1 system and my wife won't allow more. But after a while it gets ridiculous to have 11 or 12 speakers in my small room which is 14 x 20 x 8 ft. So I would not be able to take advantage of the full sound effects of the 3050. Undecided. Please advise.

Phil
post #24 of 26 Old 09-26-15, 04:17 PM
Shackster
Roger

Quote:
ptalar wrote: View Post
Docrog,

Just curious. I have a Yamaha RX-A3000 and I am thinking about trading up to the RX-A3050 like you have. Is it worth the upgrade? Is it a quantum leap over the RX-A3000? I am still pretty happy with my 3000. I know there are new sound formats but my 3000 is still working good. What are your thoughts based on your experience so far. I have a 7.1 system and my wife won't allow more. But after a while it gets ridiculous to have 11 or 12 speakers in my small room which is 14 x 20 x 8 ft. So I would not be able to take advantage of the full sound effects of the 3050. Undecided. Please advise.

Phil
I was very happy with my RX-A3000 and was running a 7.2.2 layout with biamping of my fronts via a separate Rotel multi-channel amplifier. I have always been a relatively early adopter of new AV technology, so choosing to upgrade to Atmos/DTS-X "immersive" object rendering was an easy decision. On other threads, many have indicated that the DSPs in the 3050 (essentially identical to those in the 3000) are providing an aural experience very similar to Atmos (and in quite a few postings, preferable), especially in legacy 5.1 or 7.1 tracks. I suspect that the jury is still out whether or not the Dolby DSU which is found in the xx40 and xx50 series Yamaha AVRs is a significant step up from Yamaha's DSPs (although the newer products "do" Cinema HD3, which is an improvement over the prior renderer for those who have 4 presence speakers). I do like the environment created in those movies which are native Atmos in my (now) 7.2.4 HT. If you can't add another pair of presence speakers to create either a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 lay-out, I'd say stick with the 3000.
post #25 of 26 Old 09-26-15, 04:54 PM

Thanks Docroq. I appreciate your input. I may still upgrade but maybe in 6 months to a year even though I may not be able to take advantage of the native ATMOS effect. I would like the improved equipment and to get the Bluetooth capability and wifi. I have an internet bridge hooked up to my 3000 right now.
post #26 of 26 Old 09-26-15, 05:22 PM
Shackster
Roger

Quote:
ptalar wrote: View Post
Thanks Docrog. I appreciate your input. I may still upgrade but maybe in 6 months to a year even though I may not be able to take advantage of the native ATMOS effect. I would like the improved equipment and to get the Bluetooth capability and wifi. I have an internet bridge hooked up to my 3000 right now.
None of those capabilities (or the improved DACs, etc.) influenced my decision, but you're correct that the 3050 has improved in many aspects in the years since the 3000. If you're not planning to run a full blown lay-out, the 2040/50 may more than suffice at a lower price point (both are Atmos capable and the 2050 will be upgraded to DTS-X via firmware later this year).