Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 26 Old 07-02-15, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

Yamaha recently announced six new Aventage AV Receivers, anchored by the company’s new flagship RX-A3050 9.2-channel model. Yamaha has seemingly left no stone unturned in design and execution, making several of these new models incredibly competitive in a receiver market that has been struggling to meet the demands of rapidly evolving audio and video requirements. We’ve been preaching patience to potential buyers for the better part of a year, but Yamaha’s new gear appears to be ready to tackle AV demands for the foreseeable future.

We’ve yet to see a receiver that ships with HDMI 2.0a (High Dynamic Range video), HDCP 2.2, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, 4K/60/4:4:4 pass-through, and 9.2 (7.1.2 or 5.1.4) channels of audio output…until now. The RX-A3050 offers all of the above in addition to the ability to run a 7.1.4 speaker arrangement with an external amplifier. The step-down RX-A2050 is the only other new Aventage receiver that can run a 7.1.2 Atmos speaker configuration. Those configurations are key and might be the biggest separating factors between the A3050/A2050 and Yamaha’s other new receivers for buyers looking to implement Dolby Atmos in their home theater. This opinion is based on a recent interview of Matt Severaid (Senior Manager of Integrated Marketing, THX) by AVForums that focused on THX’s testing impressions of various Dolby Atmos speaker arrangements. During the interview, Severaid revealed that he couldn’t currently recommend an Atmos configuration that lacks rear channels. Severaid said that Atmos audio in 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 is diminished in its presentation value and that a non-Atmos 7.1 configuration is the better option.

It’s worthy to note that both DTS:X (A3050 and A1050) and HDR pass-through (all models) will be available via firmware updates at a later date.

Yamaha's new Flagship Receiver, the RX-A3050.

The RX-A3050 (165W, 1kHz, 2ch driven) is loaded to the max. Aside from possessing all of the bells and whistles listed above, it offers Hi-Res Audio (FLAC, WAV, 192 kHz/24, and Apple Lossless) playback, Bluetooth audio, Airplay, networked WiFi functionality, multi-zone HDMI switching, adjustable DSP parameters, and a compressed music enhancer. It also carries Yamaha’s top-end version of the YAPO room correction suite, which enables multipoint and angle measurement analyses.

The A3050 also carries several enhanced surround modes. The unit’s Cinema DSP HD3 uses four Cinema DSP engines in conjunction with two front mounted presence channels to create a 9.2 channel configuration. Yamaha says this arrangement produces a robust vertical front stage sound dimension. The receiver also uses Cinema Front to create the appearance of virtual surround speakers. Of course, this is merely an illusionary function, but might be of interest to buyers that aren’t interested in physical installation of rear and surround channels.

An inside look at the vibration reducing "H Frame" used in the Aventage line.

Yamaha offers Dolby Atmos functionality on three of the remaining five new receivers (A2050, A1050, and A850), with DTS:X only available on one other model (A1050). The latter leaves a gap between the A1050 and the flagship A3050 model, which will likely cause buyers some decision making difficulties.

Yamaha is planning to rollout their new Aventage models over the next two months, with the following MSRPs:

RX-A550 ($549.95; July availability)
RX-A750 ($699.95; June availability)
RX-A850 ($999.95; July availability)
RX-A1050 ($1,299.95; July availability)
RX-A2050 ($1,699.95; July availability)
RX-A3050 ($2,199.95, August availability)

Home Theater Shack's Official Review of the RX-A3050 can be found by clicking here. For complete details about Yamaha’s new receivers, visit usa.yamaha.com.

Image Credits: Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-08-15, 12:06 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

The only thing missing for me is 13-channel capability. I want Atmos 9.1.4 and I want it now Even if I have to add four channels of amplification. Otherwise, looks like a nice piece, that 3050. I sure hope someone does a 13-channel unit this year . . .
post #3 of 26 Old 07-08-15, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
re: Yamaha Releases Six New Aventage Receivers (RX-A3050, RX-A2050, RX-A1050, RX-A850, RX-A750, RX-A550)

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
The only thing missing for me is 13-channel capability. I want Atmos 9.1.4 and I want it now Even if I have to add four channels of amplification. Otherwise, looks like a nice piece, that 3050. I sure hope someone does a 13-channel unit this year . . .

I think 13 channels (this year) is going to be a stretch...Not outside the realm of possibility, although I think (you're right) external amps will be a necessity. Perhaps Onkyo's next flagship due to be released in 2016 will allow for a 9.1.4 arrangement.
post #4 of 26 Old 07-16-15, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

We will have an RX-A3050 for review within the next month.
post #5 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 08:14 AM
Shackster
Roger

Hello, to all! I'm new to this forum and planning to purchase the RX-A3050 when it's released later this month (I currently own the RX-A3000) in order to take advantage of a 7.2.4 configuration (front speakers externally amplified), depending on how my questions get answered.

Although currently 5.2.4, my HT is capable of being configured as 7.2.4, with on the wall front height (presence) and in ceiling rear presence speakers. I'd like to know whether anyone here can comment on whether or not there is a significant difference in the sound field created by the Dolby Atmos Upmixer (DSU) compared with the proprietary Yamaha Cinema DSP HD3 surround processor (both processors are currently available in the RX-A3040 and will be identical in the RX-A3050). Also, is there a significant perceived difference between the sound field created by Cinema DSP 3D versus the newer HD3 in a 5.2.4 layout???

I initially identified my existing in-ceiling rear speakers as rear surrounds (7.2.2) on the RX-A3000, but recently re-assigned them as rear presence (5.2.4) and I'm quite happy with the sound field now being generated by the existing Cinema DSP 3D processor. The inclusion of an additional set of speakers (new rear surrounds) will require some additional work and $$, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone can weigh in on whether or not a 5.2.4 speaker layout would significantly suffer compared to a 7.2.4 layout. That is, whether or not there is sufficient information or spatial cues present in the rear surrounds in most legacy 5.1 or 7.1 Blu-Ray discs (using either the DSU or HD3 DSPs) to justify the effort to install new rear surrounds necessary to complete the 7.2.4 layout.

Thanks!
post #6 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Tough questions. I've not been able to do any A - B comparison of various sound modes. Hopefully another member or staff writer (Peter Loeser?) will chime-in with a bit of real world experience in that department.

As for speaker configurations, THX is saying they can't recommend any 5.1._ arrangement over standard 7.1 or 5.1 configurations. According to them, their test have shown that the lack of rear surrounds leaves a hole in the sound field. We did have a member say they are running 5.1.4 and like it... So take from that what you will. Keep in mind, THX is particular about recreating director's intent. So, their comment doesn't mean that you won't experience height in a 5.1._ configuration, but the sound field isn't, in their opinion, as optimal as standard options.

We'll have a review of the new A3050 at some point soon...and will dig deep into specifics....likely at the beginning of October. So, if possible, enjoy what you have and hang on for another month and a half! ;-)
post #7 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 12:30 PM
Shackster
Roger

Thanks for your response, Todd. I fully understand the view of THX, as you've stated it. However, I'm not aware of how THX stands regarding "presence" speakers, in general, as THX has always been based on a "channel" specific approach.

It seems to me that these newer codecs and up-mixers (Dolby Atmos DSU and what's expected from DTS:X), are ultimately pointed towards "object" based renders and meant to take advantage of real or synthesized overhead audio cues in order to create the "bubble". So, as long as an HT begins from a "standard" 5.1.x configuration, the question remains whether it's significantly improved as a 7.1.x layout.

Over the years, I've purchased (too?) many DVDs & Blu-Rays (and, before that, Laserdiscs and VHS tapes). I was checking just the other day and found that only 7 out of well over two hundred of my discs are native 7.1, the others being predominantly 5.1. So, any cues coming out of rear surrounds would have been a "creation" of the Yamaha processor and not placed there by the sound editor during the mixing of the film. And, by extension, the "hole" in the rear of my sound stage would otherwise exist for anyone watching these 5.1 films with their AVR set to "straight", as their rear speakers (in a 7.1 lay out) would be silent.

The RX-A3000's Cinema DSP 3D has done a credible job in utilizing my "height/presence" speakers in the processing of "legacy" discs. I can only imagine how the Dolby DSU (in the newer Yamaha AVRs) will render a native Atmos TrueHD mix on the "John Wick" Blu-Ray which arrived this morning (yes, a SUNDAY delivery from Amazon Prime)............
post #8 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
THX seems to indicate that the presence channels (when ceiling mounted in top middle and top front) are impactful when added to a 7.1 setup.... And that 7.1._ is a significant jump over 5.1._. That's the initial take from two THX reps, anyway. Once I have the Yamaha in hand, I'll have 7.2.4 running with TF and TM ceiling speakers. The plan is to rig Top Rears for testing...hopefully adding some modules to the mix. If possible, another HTS reviewer will mirror some, or all, of the setup and we'll be able to craft an opinion piece.
post #9 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 04:48 PM
Shackster
Roger

Thanks, again, for that information. Although the Yamaha Aventage series is not THX certified, it seems very likely that those same opinions will be relevant to the RX-A3050 DSPs (Atmos, DTS:X and Cinema DSP HD3). I, too, hope that other readers of this thread will also chime in here with their opinions based on 5.x.4 versus 7.x.4 configurations for these up-mixers as they apply to legacy 5.1 & 7.1 Blu-Ray discs.
post #10 of 26 Old 08-02-15, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
True, it's not. I'd question how important that certification is on a flagship model... I'm expecting the 3050 to be a big time performer.

It's going to be tough getting lots of opinions on the topic you're after... The number of folks running Atmos must be incredibly small. I'll see if I can poke Peter and get him to chime in...