A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 07-22-15, 02:04 PM
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Todd,

Should I be looking at actual in-ceiling speakers, or maybe using in-wall speakers?
Rhuarc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 19 Old 07-22-15, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer
 
Todd Anderson's Avatar
Todd Anderson
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 4,075
My System
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
Rhuarc wrote: View Post
Todd,

Should I be looking at actual in-ceiling speakers, or maybe using in-wall speakers?
Hey Andrew,

In-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers are your best options. I wouldn't make the Atmos channels in-wall.

Pros and cons to both ceiling options.

I think you're more likely to find an in-ceiling speaker that digs lower than 100Hz. However, there are issues with sound transfer between levels of your home (or to your neighbor above, whatever your situation maybe) when you introduce in-ceiling speakers (note, there are lots of ways to mitigate sound transfer). If your theater is on the top level of your home, that obviously isn't an issue. Of course, depending on what brand of speaker you buy, an on-ceiling option (meaning, a speaker that can be suspended by a bracket) isn't a bad idea. It will offer a tad more flexibility, in terms of placement, and won't be as locked-in to directional aim. Some in-ceiling speakers have tweeters that are amiable, which may or may not help.

The THX reps (mentioned in the article) did say that they liked the Atmos speakers pointing straight down. Of course, this assumes a speaker that effectively radiates sound. If it doesn't, you may need to aim the speaker.

Traditionally, it has been recommended that your front three channels be voice matched (with less emphasis voice matching surrounds). I believe, however, that modern mixes make enough use of surrounds to warrant voice matching all channels (and that goes for Atmos/presence channels, too). So, if you have the option to voice match your ceiling channels, I'd say that's the way to go. If not, try to buy a speaker that has similar voice characteristics to what you have in your system.

The last option, would be Atmos modules. But, based on what THX is reporting, I'd probably spend my coin on making the best 7 or 9 channel system over introducing modules to reflect sound off a ceiling. That opinion may change as new products hit the market...but my gut is telling that the modules might not be worth the extra effort.
Todd Anderson is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-15, 03:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Andrew
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Morton, IL
Posts: 172
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Hey Andrew,

In-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers are your best options. I wouldn't make the Atmos channels in-wall.

Pros and cons to both ceiling options.

I think you're more likely to find an in-ceiling speaker that digs lower than 100Hz. However, there are issues with sound transfer between levels of your home (or to your neighbor above, whatever your situation maybe) when you introduce in-ceiling speakers (note, there are lots of ways to mitigate sound transfer). If your theater is on the top level of your home, that obviously isn't an issue. Of course, depending on what brand of speaker you buy, an on-ceiling option (meaning, a speaker that can be suspended by a bracket) isn't a bad idea. It will offer a tad more flexibility, in terms of placement, and won't be as locked-in to directional aim. Some in-ceiling speakers have tweeters that are amiable, which may or may not help.

The THX reps (mentioned in the article) did say that they liked the Atmos speakers pointing straight down. Of course, this assumes a speaker that effectively radiates sound. If it doesn't, you may need to aim the speaker.

Traditionally, it has been recommended that your front three channels be voice matched (with less emphasis voice matching surrounds). I believe, however, that modern mixes make enough use of surrounds to warrant voice matching all channels (and that goes for Atmos/presence channels, too). So, if you have the option to voice match your ceiling channels, I'd say that's the way to go. If not, try to buy a speaker that has similar voice characteristics to what you have in your system.

The last option, would be Atmos modules. But, based on what THX is reporting, I'd probably spend my coin on making the best 7 or 9 channel system over introducing modules to reflect sound off a ceiling. That opinion may change as new products hit the market...but my gut is telling that the modules might not be worth the extra effort.
Todd, thanks for the response! I'll probably start off with some entry level in-ceilings to see if I even enjoy the sound format and can upgrade to something more appropriately matched if I feel like I'll use it often.
Rhuarc is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 07-23-15, 11:30 AM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 49
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

The THX recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. Some home theaters can only accomodate a single set of surrounds. The 5.2.4 configuration works very well in my home theater and produces enveloping surround effects with both the latest Hunger Games installment and Gravity. Audyssey XT32 provides a great tonal match with all the channels - quite a feat given that the in-ceiling speakers are much smaller than the other speakers.
rkeman is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 07-23-15, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer
 
Todd Anderson's Avatar
Todd Anderson
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 4,075
My System
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
rkeman wrote: View Post
The THX recommendations should be taken with a grain of salt. Some home theaters can only accomodate a single set of surrounds. The 5.2.4 configuration works very well in my home theater and produces enveloping surround effects with both the latest Hunger Games installment and Gravity. Audyssey XT32 provides a great tonal match with all the channels - quite a feat given that the in-ceiling speakers are much smaller than the other speakers.
Yes...I agree. They're good marker but not the end-all be-all. Everyone's room, room characteristics, and gear, are different.

Great to hear your set-up is working out well!

Do you have a favorite demo movie? Details?
Todd Anderson is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 07-23-15, 08:18 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 49
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Yes...I agree. They're good marker but not the end-all be-all. Everyone's room, room characteristics, and gear, are different.

Great to hear your set-up is working out well!

Do you have a favorite demo movie? Details?
The Gravity soundtrack is incredibly well recorded. The pans overhead are seamless and provide a real test for tonal match between channels.
rkeman is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 07-23-15, 09:16 PM
Shackster
lazbaz
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
rkeman wrote: View Post
The Gravity soundtrack is incredibly well recorded. The pans overhead are seamless and provide a real test for tonal match between channels.
As an experiment, what will be the difference (how great) between Blu Ray Gravity and Atmos Blu Ray Gravity in the sound effect?

2Ch Good Music
Fight Loudness War. Preserve Dynamic Range.

William
wtaylorbasil is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 07-24-15, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer
 
Todd Anderson's Avatar
Todd Anderson
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 4,075
My System
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
wtaylorbasil wrote: View Post
As an experiment, what will be the difference (how great) between Blu Ray Gravity and Atmos Blu Ray Gravity in the sound effect?
The Atmos track adds a sense of height-depth to the experience...and that very much varies from movie to movie (depending on how the movie is mixed).
Todd Anderson is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 07-24-15, 10:25 AM
Shackster
lazbaz
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 20
Re: A Dolby Atmos Update with Impressions from THX

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The Atmos track adds a sense of height-depth to the experience...and that very much varies from movie to movie (depending on how the movie is mixed).
Thanks Todd. That means another catalogue of Atmos Blu Rays!

2Ch Good Music
Fight Loudness War. Preserve Dynamic Range.

William
wtaylorbasil is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
atmos , dolby , impressions , thx , update

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome