Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Pairs with Dolby Cinema for a Cinematic Splash - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 07-30-15, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Pairs with Dolby Cinema for a Cinematic Splash

Tomorrow, the highly anticipated Tom Cruise film Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation hits the silver screen worldwide. The critics’ consensus is that Rogue Nation is a sure-shot mega-blockbuster and if previous iterations of the franchise are any indication of success, then the film is guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser. In fact, I’ve already carved out a space in my video library for the film’s Blu-ray release later this year.

But there’s more to this release than a box office draw and satiation for Cruise action fans. It marks Paramount’s first release packaged with Dolby Cinema. That means a total of five AMC Prime theaters (Georgia, Missouri, Texas, Kansas, and California) in the United States will shower moviegoers with a version of the film that features Dolby Vision (High Dynamic Range, wide color gamut) and Dolby Atmos (immersive sound). Click here to find out if you live near one of the Prime locations. For those of us living out of Prime theater range, the film will still be shown with Dolby Atmos sound at properly equipped locations.

Dolby Vision is currently the only operational standard for delivering High Dynamic Range (HDR) video. According to Dolby, people tend to like images with levels of brightness that far exceed what standard HD televisions and movie theater projectors are capable of reproducing. Therefore, Dolby Vision is designed to master content at 4,000 nits, which is nearly 40-times brighter than current high-definition signals. This allows for images with more detail and greater contrast. Dolby Vision also greatly expands the number of colors available for display.

Dolby and AMC have partnered to outfit theaters with projectors capable of handling HDR images and producing immersive audio. These theaters also feature power recliners that “pulsate with the action.” The interior of the theaters is also a break from the norm, sporting highly stylized decorating. While there are currently only a handful of locations, Dolby says there will be more than 100 Dolby Cinema theaters, worldwide, by year’s end.

If you’re not the movie going type, Dolby and Vizio have arranged to pair Dolby Vision with Vizio’s 4K Reference Series of televisions. Due to be released soon, Vizio will initially launch the Reference Series in both 65-inch and 120-inch screen sizes. Vizio says the televisions will have 384 active LED zones capable of producing images as bright as 800 nits; they’ll have HDR and wide color gamut display capabilities. Dolby Vision content for Vizio’s Reference Series will be available via VUDU streaming. We’ll provide more information on these televisions when it becomes available.

Image Credits: Paramount, Dolby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 10:04 AM
HTS Reviewer

Re: Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Pairs with Dolby Cinema for a Cinematic Splash

I've been looking forward to this one. I may treat myself to the Dolby Cinema experience since I'm about 45 mins from the nearest participating theater. It's $15 for a seat, but honestly I wouldn't have been surprised to see it cost more. Am I correct that Dolby Cinema is NOT 3D?
post #3 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
I don't think Dolby Cinema involves 3D.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 10:55 AM
Shackster

Cesar

Re: Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation Pairs with Dolby Cinema for a Cinematic Splash

I am really excited to watch Rogue Nation in the theaters.

After watching some behind the scenes featurettes (specially about the crazy stunts Tom Cruise is involved in), I am ready!
post #5 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 10:56 AM
Shackster

Cesar

Nothing here in Albuquerque

But anyone looking for locations, here's what I found: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/find-a-movie-theatre.html
post #6 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Peter Loeser wrote: View Post
I've been looking forward to this one. I may treat myself to the Dolby Cinema experience since I'm about 45 mins from the nearest participating theater. It's $15 for a seat, but honestly I wouldn't have been surprised to see it cost more. Am I correct that Dolby Cinema is NOT 3D?
Peter... don't forget to report your experience! :big smile: I'm very curious about this new rollout of theaters.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-31-15, 01:45 PM
HTS Reviewer

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I don't think Dolby Cinema involves 3D.
GOOD!

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Peter... don't forget to report your experience! :big smile: I'm very curious about this new rollout of theaters.
Will do!
post #8 of 13 Old 08-03-15, 06:18 PM
Shackster

one word review: stupid!
post #9 of 13 Old 08-05-15, 12:56 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

I'm looking forward to this one, and would be even moreso if we had one of the Dolby Cinema theatres here. Only a matter of time I guess, but it's a technology I'll definitely want to check out.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #10 of 13 Old 08-08-15, 06:36 PM
HTS Reviewer

Well... I guess I blew it this time. The theater near me is already playing a different movie in the Dolby Cinema. It's Fantastic 4, which I honestly have no real desire to see, so I guess I'll be waiting a bit longer. I'm bummed.