Panasonic Announces an OLED Television, Due in Europe This October (4K Pro CZ950) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 09-10-15, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Panasonic Announces an OLED Television, Due in Europe This October (4K Pro CZ950)

Buckle your seatbelts and keep your arms and legs inside the car; the OLED game is officially “on.” LG Electronics is no longer the sole manufacturer of OLED displays. Several days ago, Panasonic used the IFA 2015 stage to announce a brand-new 4K UHD television that’s OLED all the way.

Panasonic’s previous UHD offerings have been developed using LCD technologies, and its newly invigorated move toward OLED is a positive sign for the company and consumers as a whole. The company’s current LCD-based flagship TC-65X850U display is a moderate performer, as evidenced by its middling showing at this year’s Value Electronics Flat Panel Shootout. The model posted the lowest score in every category as graded by audience participants (and five out of seven categories by expert judges). My impressions during the shootout echoed those results – it was lackluster as compared to visually stellar competition. In contrast, an LG OLED television (65EG9600) won the event despite exhibiting questionable dark scene issues; OLED’s picture quality capabilities are that good (good enough to help LG overcome a rather glaring performance issue and trump several strong LCD performers).

The first release of Panasonics new CZ950 will be of the curved variety, which might disappoint those of you solely interested in flat designs. But, much like LG’s choice to release a flat version (soon), Panasonic is saying that a flat version of the CZ950 is in the pipeline. What isn’t up for immediate change is the unit’s initial cost (which is in the neighborhood of $11,000). That number is nearly two-times larger than current LG offerings. According to a report by Digital Trends, Panasonic says its OLED sets will fall to competitive levels in the next two to three years… that may as well be five to six years in an ultra competitive display landscape. Hopefully we’ll see faster price reductions than predicted.

Panasonic says their new “4K Pro” OLED television has blacks that bury the performance capabilities of its legendary plasma displays, and color capabilities that surpass those of its OLED competition. Much of this is due to a proprietary 4K Studio Master Processor that has been tuned by professional Hollywood colorist Mike Sowa. Panasonic says this processor keeps the display’s color reproducing capability on par with Hollywood standards for reproducing exact director intent. In addition, the company says the CZ950 is HDR compatible and will carry THX’s badge of approval.

The exterior of the unit is flashy, sporting thin and sharp lines. The company says their intention is “not just to produce standalone products, but to build living spaces. Accordingly, we have built the CZ950 from a 360-degree perspective…this is not a tv to hide in the corner of your rooms, it is a piece of high-end furniture in its own right.”

We’ve yet to learn of a release date in the United States (it’s due to hit European store shelves in October), but Panasonic’s new OLED darling is a welcome addition to the television market landscape. Consumers will only benefit from competition in the OLED market, which will push future technologies forward and continue to drop prices.

Image Credit: Panasonic / IFA 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-10-15, 08:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Re: Panasonic Announces an OLED Television, Due in Europe This October (4K Pro CZ950)

It is always good for more than one manufacturer to get into the OLED game. More competition brings prices down and more competition brings more options for consumers. I just hope prices are good and in case people do not purchase enough due to whatever reason, they don't leave the OLED game.. Time will tell.

Hopefully their new OLED will perform better than what they offered in the LCD series.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #3 of 21 Old 09-10-15, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Panasonic Announces an OLED Television, Due in Europe This October (4K Pro CZ950)

More is always better for consumers! ;-)
post #4 of 21 Old 09-15-15, 03:03 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
It is always good for more than one manufacturer to get into the OLED game. More competition brings prices down and more competition brings more options for consumers. I just hope prices are good and in case people do not purchase enough due to whatever reason, they don't leave the OLED game.. Time will tell.

Hopefully their new OLED will perform better than what they offered in the LCD series.
My fear is that OLED prices will not fall fast enough for them to be adopted by the average buyer and the technology will just die. Hopefully with Panasonic joining the race it will push prices down faster and help push the technology.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-15-15, 03:21 PM
Elite Shackster

Yeah, while competition is good and it will bring prices down, the downfall is that if consumers don't buy those tv's for whatever reason but mostly due to prices not falling fast enough or not enough period, other manufacturers and even LG and Panasonic will leave the OLED market due to lack of demand.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-15-15, 03:27 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

And sadly picture quality no longer seems to be a driving force when the average consumer is looking for a new TV. I would of bet money that plasma would of been around at least until LCD surpassed it in terms of quality but sadly that did not happen.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-15-15, 04:20 PM
Elite Shackster

yeah, and that is my fear. Consumers only look at one thing and that is price. They don't factor in picture quality or anything else, only price. Even if OLED drops significantly but still not enough for the average consumer, OLED manufacturers may not stick around.

Main:

equipment pics.
post #8 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 09:09 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Yeah, I'm with you guys on that. I was sad to see plasma go, and hoping that my current Panny plasma will last long enough for OLED to be less cost prohibitive... $11k is a good bit of change.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #9 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 12:55 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Hat's off to Panasonic for pushing-the-envelope in technological performance. But only in Europe?
...and I think it's spelled "Oktober"

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
post #10 of 21 Old 09-16-15, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
It's coming to America.

Just slightly delayed ;-)