Bower & Wilkins Unveils Its New 800 Series Diamond Speakers - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 09-17-15, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Bower & Wilkins Unveils Its New 800 Series Diamond Speakers

Quote:
Realtorx7 wrote: View Post
How do I find audio shows near me? Is there a universal list/website? Most searches for "florida audio shows" bring up 99% Car Audio.. with the 1% being an audio show in Canada/California/Illinois etc
Good question...I don't think there is a traditional list of yearly shows.

The big ones (in US) are:

Rocky Mountain Audio Fest
New York Audio Show
California Audio Show
T.H.E. Show, Newport
Capital Audiofest
AXPONA (Chicago)

and, of course, there's always CES (but that's really a different animal).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-17-15, 12:47 PM
Shackster

MAD SCIENTIST

My System

My wife thought the tweeter on the old 802s was a microphone. The dealer didn't think that was funny. Couldn't afford the price anyhow.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-17-15, 12:57 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
macromicroman wrote: View Post
My wife thought the tweeter on the old 802s was a microphone. The dealer didn't think that was funny. Couldn't afford the price anyhow.
Well in her defense it does look way more like a microphone than a conventional tweeter
post #14 of 18 Old 09-18-15, 12:04 PM
Senior Shackster

prerich

Quote:
Realtorx7 wrote: View Post
How do I find audio shows near me? Is there a universal list/website? Most searches for "florida audio shows" bring up 99% Car Audio.. with the 1% being an audio show in Canada/California/Illinois etc
Florida or the South in general needs an audio show....badly!!!!! I went to Axpona 2012 in Jacksonville. I got to hear a trio of B&W 802D's and 804's for the rear channels with an AIX multi-channel audio demo. It was one of the most enjoyable events that I've attended.....ever! I put it up there with a college football bowl game!

The 802D's were wonderful! I can just imagine how these would sound (or I can't really imagine - unless they sound similar to the Tidal Audio Contriva Diacera SE speakers....those were magical)!
post #15 of 18 Old 10-02-15, 09:51 PM
Shackster

I'm lucky enough to own a pair of the previous 802Di's and I'm super happy with them. However, my friend / B&W dealer told me I would be blown away by the new ones - so much so that I was going to think mine sounded "broken" in comparison. Somehow, I doubt that.

Still, got me thinking - how I would love to do a blind, level matched test so I could truly relish the new and improved sonic difference without my eyes telling me "the new ones have to sound better".

Some lucky reviewers will have the opportunity to do just this. Since I'm not upgrading anytime soon, I will just have to wonder how much is marketing and how much has truly improved...
post #16 of 18 Old 10-03-15, 11:35 AM
Patrick Butler

Hi pioferro,

The first shipments of the new 800 Series depart to our dealers next week, and you will have ample opportunity to come to your own conclusions regarding the sound. When our internal staff first heard the new series, half the group immediately did not like the way the new series looked. However, we all agreed that the improvement in performance was huge.

I would not say that the 802D2s sound broken in comparison, because they were never broken to start with. Certainly a benchmark product at its price point. That said, we didn't spent 7 years and $6M redesigning the series because of marketing. We did it because our R&D division (better known as Steyning Research Establishment) spends their days investigating what goes wrong in loudspeakers, and engineers better technical solutions. The new 800 Series has 868 changes in it, and only 8 components are in common with the old series. Specifically the tweeter dome, 3 capacitors and 4 binding posts.

So have a listen. You probably don't even have to be in the same room to hear the difference.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Quote:
pioferro wrote: View Post
I'm lucky enough to own a pair of the previous 802Di's and I'm super happy with them. However, my friend / B&W dealer told me I would be blown away by the new ones - so much so that I was going to think mine sounded "broken" in comparison. Somehow, I doubt that.

Still, got me thinking - how I would love to do a blind, level matched test so I could truly relish the new and improved sonic difference without my eyes telling me "the new ones have to sound better".

Some lucky reviewers will have the opportunity to do just this. Since I'm not upgrading anytime soon, I will just have to wonder how much is marketing and how much has truly improved...
post #17 of 18 Old 10-03-15, 05:24 PM
Shackster

Patrick

I'm sure the new 800's sound phenomenal and I'm really excited about listening. My business revolves around marketing so from a business perspective, because so much time and money has been invested in the new line, failure isn't an option. And competition is very tough in the $15-20k range. The comment of "the new ones make the old ones sound broken" raised the marketing flag.

That's why I would love to do a side by side comparison. The moment I walk into the showroom, my mind will be telling me how good the new one's sound before I even listen

I just want to hear for myself (without knowing which speaker I am listening to) so I know what an upgrade of $7k sounds like.

So you know, I've been a fan of the B&W sound for years, purchasing my 1st pair (N805s) back circa 2001. A pair that still see's daily duty in the home theater. I've had N802, 802D and now the 802Di.

PS - I actually really like the way the new 802D3 looks and can't wait to see the 800D3.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-03-15, 07:01 PM
Patrick Butler

Hi pioferro,

Fortunately for us, the marketing follows the engineering. Makes the whole process easy (not to mention consistent.)

As for the looks, I'm reminded of my years dating. Specifically, you meet someone who is easy on the eyes only to discover later that the first word spoken from that beguiling form is utterly annoying. Sure, some continue to be seduced by the beauty, but I've never recovered once the spell is broken by the sound. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Patrick
B&W Group North America

Quote:
pioferro wrote: View Post
Patrick

I'm sure the new 800's sound phenomenal and I'm really excited about listening. My business revolves around marketing so from a business perspective, because so much time and money has been invested in the new line, failure isn't an option. And competition is very tough in the $15-20k range. The comment of "the new ones make the old ones sound broken" raised the marketing flag.

That's why I would love to do a side by side comparison. The moment I walk into the showroom, my mind will be telling me how good the new one's sound before I even listen

I just want to hear for myself (without knowing which speaker I am listening to) so I know what an upgrade of $7k sounds like.

So you know, I've been a fan of the B&W sound for years, purchasing my 1st pair (N805s) back circa 2001. A pair that still see's daily duty in the home theater. I've had N802, 802D and now the 802Di.

PS - I actually really like the way the new 802D3 looks and can't wait to see the 800D3.