Bower & Wilkins Unveils Its New 800 Series Diamond Speakers - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 09-15-15, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Bower & Wilkins Unveils Its New 800 Series Diamond Speakers

The uniquely robust design factors carried by Bower & Wilkins (B&W) speakers are undeniable; especially those models adorned by spherical mid-range heads and Diamond tweeter toppers. If you’ve ever had a chance to see them (let alone hear them in action), then you know their physical design is even more eye catching in person. Several days ago, on the eve of celebrating its 50th anniversary of existence, Bower & Wilkins unveiled a new iteration of its highly acclaimed 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers and they aren’t being shy about boasting about improved design elements. Their new speakers “massively elevate loudspeaker performance,” claims B&W, even compared to speakers previously designed by the company, itself.

Bower & Wilkins new 803 D3 floorstanding loudspeaker.

The new 800 Series Diamond is the product of nearly seven years of development, combining research, advanced engineering, and extensive listening sessions. The resulting speakers apparently bury any notion of an “update” or simple tweaks to existing models, staking the claim of a total redesign from the ground up. In fact, design elements have changed so much that Bower & Wilkins has re-engineered its manufacturing plant in Worthing, West Sussex, UK, to accommodate the machinery, materials, and processes needed to make the new 800 series a reality.

Nearly all of the component parts on the new 800s are different, including drivers and cabinet designs. The company highlights the latest iteration of its midrange drive unit, which features a new proprietary Continuum cone that replaces the long standing Kevlar cone that most of us associate with the Bower & Wilkins brand name. The company has also created a new Aerofoil bass cone that promises reduced distortion. Then there are the cabinets, which are said to carry more robust bracing systems, better tweeter assemblies, and an improved midrange head enclosure.

The only element remaining constant from older designs is the vaunted Diamond tweeter. “We found it impossible to improve on the performance offered by the Diamond,” says Martial Rousseau, Head of Research. “Although, behind the diamond dome, the motor system was improved considerably.”

The top revealed model of the new series (details about the flagship 800 D3 have not been released), which costs an estimated $22,000 per pair, is called the 802 D3. It’s a three-way vented-box TMWW tower design that weighs a smidgen over 200-pounds. It carries the new technologies described above (8-inch Aerofoil woofers, 6-inch Continuum driver, revamped cabinet), and features a unique system of floor spikes and castors to make moving and positioning the speaker a snap. The least expensive model offering is the HTM2 D3 center channel ($4,000 each), which sports two 6.5-in woofers, one mid-range driver, and a Diamond tweeter. Both of these models bookend five other new speakers and are supported by two different kinds of floor stand units (FS-805 D3 and FS-HTM D3). Bower & Wilkins says that each new Diamond Series speaker is expected to begin shipping sometime in early October, with the exception of the flagship 800 D3 (ships early spring 2016). A Complete list of pricing and models is below.

Models and Prices
Speakers

800 D3 (to be determined)
802 D3: $22,000/pair
803 D3 $17,000/pair
804 D3: $9,000/pair
805 D3: $6,000/pair
HTM1 D3: $6,000 each
HTM2 D3: $4,000 each

Floor Stands
FS-805 D3: $500 each
FS-HTM D3: $600 each

Image Credits: Bower & Wilkins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-15-15, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Bower & Wilkins Unveils Its New 800 Series Diamond Speakers

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
Note that all three speakers shown in the top picture are of earlier models and not of the new models announced or discussed.
Good point, Kal...didn't mean to be misleading. Change made.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-15-15, 01:19 PM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

It is amazing how much I can lust after something that I have neither seen nor heard. I look forward to reading the reviews and comparisons of these.
post #4 of 18 Old 09-15-15, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
You're not alone... Gear like this is unobtanium for the vast majority of enthusiasts. Audio shows are a great way to get a taste...go if you have a chance! ;-)
post #5 of 18 Old 09-16-15, 09:10 AM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System

Exactly. My income needs to be "massively elevated" for even just a center channel upgrade.

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
post #6 of 18 Old 09-16-15, 09:13 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Some pretty bold claims on improving a speaker that is already legendary. I'd love to read listening impressions from reviewers too. There's no chance I'll ever own a pair of these, but sometimes you just need to know anyway.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #7 of 18 Old 09-16-15, 09:30 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
About 6 years ago I was considering a pair 804S towers.
At that time they were priced at the extreme top end of my budget.
I went with different < expensive speakers.
When B&W switched to the D series that put all of the 800 lineup into fantasy territory for me.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-16-15, 03:57 PM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
You're not alone... Gear like this is unobtanium for the vast majority of enthusiasts. Audio shows are a great way to get a taste...go if you have a chance! ;-)
How do I find audio shows near me? Is there a universal list/website? Most searches for "florida audio shows" bring up 99% Car Audio.. with the 1% being an audio show in Canada/California/Illinois etc
post #9 of 18 Old 09-16-15, 06:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

Quote:
Realtorx7 wrote: View Post
How do I find audio shows near me? Is there a universal list/website? Most searches for "florida audio shows" bring up 99% Car Audio.. with the 1% being an audio show in Canada/California/Illinois etc
Find a local HiFi shop or a Magnolia Design Center and you can listen to gear like this.

You'll probably have to wait about 2 months till you can hear these in store.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-17-15, 07:51 AM
Shackster

My System

Quote:
rab-byte wrote: View Post
Find a local HiFi shop or a Magnolia Design Center and you can listen to gear like this.

You'll probably have to wait about 2 months till you can hear these in store.
Not looking for a local hifi shop.. I was asking about audio shows.