JVC Unveils Six New Projector Models at CEDIA 2016 - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 21 Old 11-28-15, 04:33 PM
Shackster

Re: JVC Unveils Six New Projector Models at CEDIA 2016

Why exactly is an increase in black levels a bad thing? I figured the darker the black the better.. am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 11-28-15, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Yes, better blacks is a great thing, but the use of a dynamic iris to achieve it isn't the most desirable option...
post #13 of 21 Old 11-28-15, 11:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
jennavixenxxoo wrote: View Post
Why exactly is an increase in black levels a bad thing? I figured the darker the black the better.. am I wrong?
An increase in black levels means that they are not as black. Conversely, a lower black level means less light in the black areas, or a darker black. The terminology used to confuse me too.

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Yes, better blacks is a great thing, but the use of a dynamic iris to achieve it isn't the most desirable option...
The dynamic iris was introduced in the models prior to this one (two years ago). It appears that native black levels are a little higher in these new models; that is, not quite as black The good news, I think, is that the higher brightness will allow those with smaller screens to run eco mode and close down the manual iris, which is where JVCs have always delivered their best black level performance. So it may be a wash for many. Including me.
post #14 of 21 Old 11-29-15, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Just to note, any material with HDR will require high lamp mode.

I've talked to A JVC rep about their reasoning behind they dynamic iris, and couldn't get a straight answer.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-29-15, 03:30 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:

I've talked to A JVC rep about their reasoning behind they dynamic iris, and couldn't get a straight answer.
I think it may have had to do with being able to keep up with the sometimes ridiculous contrast claims of the competition (nearly all of which use dynamic irises). Just remember that no other consumer projector company was able to keep up with JVC in native on/off contrast without using one, and I believe that is still the case. A dynamic iris on top of class-leading native contrast numbers is just icing on the cake (assuming proper implementation and minimal visible artifacts) and can only make best-in-class even better. IMHO
post #16 of 21 Old 11-29-15, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
That's the most obvious answer... But why go through the trouble of adding it if the numbers are fudged anyway?

I don't believe they had the dynamic iris engaged in their demo area... I for one, would leave it off. You don't calibrate with it engaged, and once a projector is calibrated, engaging it would make your calibration settings non-ideal.
post #17 of 21 Old 11-29-15, 10:40 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Quote:
That's the most obvious answer... But why go through the trouble of adding it if the numbers are fudged anyway?

I don't believe they had the dynamic iris engaged in their demo area... I for one, would leave it off. You don't calibrate with it engaged, and once a projector is calibrated, engaging it would make your calibration settings non-ideal.
I'm not even suggesting fudged numbers. It's just that a projector with a dynamic iris can be made to produce crazy contrast because the iris can be closed nearly all the way and produce near zero light output. Combine that with a projector capable of very high brightness, and you've got a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio or whatever. A fixed aperture cannot hope to produce maximum brightness and the darkest black levels at the same setting in a lamp-based projection system.

Anyway, as you point out it can be turned off. Win for everyone. I can hardly wait until I can get one (gotta figure out if, and where, we are moving in the next year or less).
post #18 of 21 Old 11-30-15, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Got it. Just to note, the numbers these companies report are frequently deceptively twisted and stretched to sound way better than they actually are in real world operating conditions.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-30-15, 10:55 AM
Elite Shackster

Seems prices are coming down on the entry models. A good thing. It appears my biggest issue is my throw... I have 12'6"-13' of throw and need to project 135" on a 16:9 screen. Not many available to do that... they require longer distance to throw the 135".

Seems I'll be hurting on the upgrade department until someone can get the throw that I need.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"

Last edited by Talley; 11-30-15 at 11:12 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-30-15, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Wow...that's a tough one...hard to overcome that!