Seaton Sound Officially Releases Its F18 Subwoofer System - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Seaton Sound Officially Releases Its F18 Subwoofer System

If you’ve ever had an opportunity to interact with Seaton Sound speakers and subwoofers, then you know they’re something special. On the audio side of the equation they pack quite a punch with killer sonic performance, while the build quality and physical aesthetics are absolutely top-notch in a unique and edgy kind of way. There’s a certain kind of mystique that shrouds the company and its products, perhaps partially perpetuated by its under-the-radar marketing tactics and most certainly delivered by the imposing stature of its designs. They are one of the industry’s Kings of Cool and the have plenty of reason to walk with a swagger.

A pre-production image of Seaton Sounds' new F18 SubMersive subwoofer.

Recently, Seaton Sound announced the official release of a production version of the SubMersive F18 sealed subwoofer.

The F18 is a modular subwoofer system that takes advantage of two sub-model possibilities. The F18+ ships with an onboard 4,000-Watt amplifier that can drive up to three F18 “slave” units that derive their power from the base F18+ amp. If you do the math, that means that customers can power up to four F18 subs with the purchase of a single F18+. The 4000W amp is capable of delivering 1300W of power per F18 unit, with the full 4,000W being continuous when more than three F18s are used. According to Seaton, stringing four F18s together creates a 5,200W “monster” that delivers 12dB more than a single F18 unit.

Hello, deep bass glory!

The F18 is a single 18-inch driver unit that measures 23.5-in(W) x 23.5-in(H) x 18-in(D), which means a stack of four is nearly 8-feet tall. Its driver is a concave cone (woven fiberglass outer skin) held by a high-excursion rubber surround. The company says operational refinement and silent +/-2-in linear travel are achieved through two short rings in the motor and dual mirrored spiders.

The amp shipped on the F18+ offers four digitally programmable control knobs for gain, equalization, crossover, and delay tweaks, with increased range and fine adjustment settings in the gain/volume control. It also has LF EQ for +/-8dB adjustment for 12-27Hz to 200Hz, and a variable fourth-order low pass filter with a range of 30-200Hz for 2-channel use. Customers buying a slave module, can take advantage of a 0-20ms delay setting which dials-in front-to-rear sub placement.

F18 slave modules ship with the ability to be retro-fitted with an amp at a later date.

Pre-production F18s installed in a customer's home.

Pricing plus shipping for the Submersive F18+ and F18 module in either black maple or black oak finishes is $2,295 and $1,095 respectively. However, Seaton Sound is offering introductory pricing, as follows:
  • A single F18+ subwoofer: $2,195 + $55 flat rate shipping (CONUS), or $2,250 delivered.
  • An F18 slave module: $995 + $55 flat rate shipping (CONUS), or $1,050 delivered.
  • Dual F18+ subwoofers: $3,990 + $110 flat rate shipping (CONUS), or $4,100 delivered.
  • Quad F18+ subwoofers: $7,880 + $220 flat rate shipping (CONUS) = $8,000 delivered.
  • SpeakON slave cables made in house to ordered: $30 termination fee plus $3.50/ft length.

The first SubMersive F18 units will be delivered to customers before December 31st. For more information, visit www.seatonsound.net.

Image Credits: Seaton Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 04:07 PM
Senior Shackster
Mark Seaton

Send a message via AIM to Mark Seaton
Re: Seaton Sound Officially Releases Its F18 Subwoofer System

Thank you very much for the coverage and kind words Todd. I am very much looking forward hearing the reactions from the first customers fitting a few (or more ) of these rather manageable modules into their rooms. I hope to see some customers in these sorts of pictures soon rather than just myself.

Yes, I'm barefoot. That is a nice cork floor and this being hours before a big housewarming/birthday party, shoes were banished to the door by those cleaning up!

Mark Seaton
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham
post #3 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 04:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Wow, thats some serious subwoofer!

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 04:54 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

I look forward to being shaken by them at the next audio show.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 07:01 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

If at some point you want to have the F18 reviewed just hit me up. I'd love to see what you created.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #6 of 14 Old 12-14-15, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I'll definitely keep track of customer reaction on your website - I think there's little doubt it will be anything but total jaw-dropped to the floor love. Very jealous of those lucky folks!
post #7 of 14 Old 12-15-15, 09:32 AM
Senior Shackster
Mark Seaton

Send a message via AIM to Mark Seaton

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I'll definitely keep track of customer reaction on your website - I think there's little doubt it will be anything but total jaw-dropped to the floor love. Very jealous of those lucky folks!
Thanks again Todd. We'll have pictures of the first F18 unit in production form with veneer option and magnetic grill by Monday.

Hopefully we'll see you again this year at Axpona (early registration pricing ends January 31st!). We'll have at least 8 of these in the same big room with things even more fleshed-out this year with more new offerings in the lineup.

Close on the heels of the F18 is the production of the Spark you saw first demonstrated at Axpona last year. I'll drop you a line when we are getting close on those. That will be a fun addition as our first passive speaker offering.

Mark Seaton
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham
post #8 of 14 Old 12-15-15, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Mark Seaton wrote: View Post
Thanks again Todd. We'll have pictures of the first F18 unit in production form with veneer option and magnetic grill by Monday.

Hopefully we'll see you again this year at Axpona (early registration pricing ends January 31st!). We'll have at least 8 of these in the same big room with things even more fleshed-out this year with more new offerings in the lineup.

Close on the heels of the F18 is the production of the Spark you saw first demonstrated at Axpona last year. I'll drop you a line when we are getting close on those. That will be a fun addition as our first passive speaker offering.
I'm hoping to make it - if I do, I'll drop you a line in advance.

I remember the Spark...great looking speaker (you had them in action, yes?). For readers: the spark is a surround channel speaker. Physical design follows the same feel of other Seaton designs.
post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-15, 09:02 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Looking forward to the Seaton room at 2016 AXPONA!

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #10 of 14 Old 12-16-15, 11:18 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
Looking forward to the Seaton room at 2016 AXPONA!
Hear, hear! I imagine Mark will have a few giga-watts, (pronounced jigga-watts) of Catalysts and Submersives messing with the USGS seismic probes in the area and rattling our bones. Looking forward to it!