Denon Says DTS:X Is Set to Land Next Month - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 11 Old 12-17-15, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Denon Says DTS:X Is Set to Land Next Month

Immersive Audio has been a headline topic during 2015, and, here in the United States, is a category that’s been completely dominated by Dolby’s Atmos codec. Until now, DTS:X (the other assumed big player in the U.S. market) has remained vaporware. Quite a few manufacturers have released DTS:X-ready products, but all of them are awaiting downloadable firmware to activate the feature (not to mention, only two DTS:X encoded Blu-ray discs have been released). Earlier this year, my DTS contact told me that the company had been planning on a December 2015 release that would push the responsibility of official product-specific firmware releases into the realm of individual manufacturers – definitive dates have been unpredictable.

Having had ample time to soak-in the audio magic of Dolby Atmos titles (not to mention hearing Auro-3D’s phenomenal audio experience), the wait for DTS:X has been rather torturous. That makes Denon’s recent announcement an early Christmas present that should have enthusiasts dancing and clicking their heels with delight.

According to a recent Denon press release, the company is planning on officially releasing DTS:X firmware updates on January 28, 2016 for three of its top Network A/V Receivers (AVR-X7200W, AVR-X6200W and AVR-X4200W). After installing the update, all of these receivers will be able to run an Audyssey room-equalized DTS:X speaker set-up ranging from 9.2 to 11.2 channels.

"This is the first wave of products to receive the DTS:X firmware update; we will continue to deliver this new and exciting technology to the rest of our DTS:X ready line-up into 2016," said Yoshinori Yamada, global business team leader for the company's A/V receiver category. "We are happy today making its first step. It is our mission to bring latest and greatest of the industry to our lineup."

Denon says that customers will be alerted to the update's availability via a video message (AVR must be connected to a television or projector) if their receiver is networked with the “Update Notification” option set to “On.” They also left the door open to a possible date-extension, so stay tuned.

Unlike Auro-3D and Dolby Atmos, DTS has indicated that its new codec doesn’t require a specific speaker array. This means it should integrate with any current Auro-3D or Atmos set-up. If true, this makes DTS:X extremely appealing.

Owners of other Denon AVR models will have to wait a tad longer for a DTS:X firmware update. As of now, the company hasn’t specified a defined timeframe. Similar firmware update news should be released by competing manufacturers soon.

Image Credits: DTS:X, Denon, Lionsgate Films
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 11:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Denon Says DTS:X Is Set to Land Next Month

Why oh why do they always come out with something better shortly after I buy one of their products ??
I guess because they can.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #3 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 12:12 PM
Elite Shackster

I can see DTS being the better solution.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #4 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 12:28 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Hopefully Yamaha will be offering it for download next month too.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #5 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
I've always preferred DTS HD-MA to TrueHD. Call me crazy, but the DTS encodes just sound smoother (perhaps not as hot) as the TrueHD.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm wondering if I'll ultimately feel the same way about Dolby and DTS versions of immersive audio...
post #6 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Hopefully Yamaha will be offering it for download next month too.
DTS says that other manufacturers will be announcing soon - but the company isn't divulging any details. It all falls on manufacturers at this point.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-18-15, 09:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

DTS certainly has less issues, lately TruHD has had issues with the slight audio dropout on older receivers.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #8 of 11 Old 12-19-15, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
That dropout is actually coming from the Blu-ray player side of the chain and a player's ability to handle to seamless branching. Dolby uses seamless branching in (a few)TrueHD and Atmos encoded discs. For TrueHD, you can simply switch your BD player to analog audio or PCM and the audio drop issue goes away...but Dolby Atmos requires bit stream and that means the only remedy is to buy a new BD player.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-19-15, 10:16 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I've always preferred DTS HD-MA to TrueHD. Call me crazy, but the DTS encodes just sound smoother (perhaps not as hot) as the TrueHD.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm wondering if I'll ultimately feel the same way about Dolby and DTS versions of immersive audio...
I, too, prefer HD-MA.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #10 of 11 Old 12-20-15, 01:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I've always preferred DTS HD-MA to TrueHD. Call me crazy, but the DTS encodes just sound smoother (perhaps not as hot) as the TrueHD. Anyone else experience this? I'm wondering if I'll ultimately feel the same way about Dolby and DTS versions of immersive audio...
While I agree the TrueHD seems hotter they're some of my favorites. Most notably being Transformers Dark of Moon. To this day one of the best I've ever heard.