Ultra HD Blu-ray Players and Discs Primed to be Available Soon - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Ultra HD Blu-ray Players and Discs Primed to be Available Soon

The physical media side of the 4K equation has been simmering backburner material for nearly a year. Last January, Panasonic arrived at CES 2015 with the world’s first publicly revealed prototype Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Several months later the Blu-ray Disc Association announced a finalized Ultra HD Blu-ray player specification, and later in the year the Digital Entertainment Group revealed new logo and packaging standards. Unfortunately, the timeline to market in North America missed the 2015 holiday shopping season, and we now find ourselves entering a new year waiting for gear and content.

That will be changing soon.

Panasonic, Philips, and Samsung all have Ultra HD Blu-ray players in the works, and each manufacturer is close to a launch. Sony, one of the early supporters of standard Blu-ray technology, is noticeably absent from this list. The company currently offers a Blu-ray model with 4K upconversion, but it lacks the ability to play Ultra HD discs.

Samsung is the closest to bringing a player to market, with a projected March launch of its UBD-K8500 model. This particular player was originally revealed at IFA 2015 and supports the new UHD Blu-ray format in addition to offering support for high dynamic range and standard Blu-ray upconversion. It's currently available for pre-order from the company’s website ($399 MSRP).

Philips BDP-7051 Ultra HD player (pictured) is scheduled to begin shipping in May, according to Value Electronics’ Robert Zohn. It will carry a price tag of approximately $400, and, like Samsung’s model, offers support of high dynamic range. It can play both VP9 and HEVC 4K video codecs, which means it can handle most forms of UHD content. This particular player sports an incredibly small footprint with a minimalist design appeal, something that Samsung's player lacks.

Panasonic, which began shipping its DMR-UBZ1 Ultra HD player in Japan last November, will begin shipping the DMP-UB900 in North America sometime during 2016. The UB900 supports high dynamic range and carries THX certification. As of this time, the company has not released pricing information.

The availability of UHD physical disc content is also beginning to take shape. Last year, we learned that Sony initially plans to release The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2 in Ultra HD. Several days ago, Lionsgate announced its intention to re-release Sicario, Ender’s Game, The Expendables 3, and The Last Witch Hunter in late March 2016. Also, 20th Century Fox has been offering pre-orders on quite a few titles including Wild, The Maze Runner, and Hitman. Rest assured that hundreds of titles will eventually be made available in Ultra HD. Initial pricing should fall in the $20 to $40 range, MSRP.

Image Credits: Philips, Lionsgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 01:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Ultra HD Blu-ray Players and Discs Primed to be Available Soon

seems to me most are about 10 bucks more than the blu-ray counter part.

To me.... I think I'll start buying the ultra-HD movies because they come with the blu-ray also. This way in a few years when I do upgrade to 4k I won't have to upgrade my discs.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #3 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Yes, just about a $10 difference and movies will initially ship double disc.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 06:02 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Have they talked about any of the new surround formats?
post #5 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 06:56 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
It appears that the majority of the Atmos mixes will be on UHD Blu Ray, presumably to give the new format a boost. DTS:X, the other big player, hasn't yet released its home version yet, last I heard it was to be in March. The first UHD player from Samsung is available for preorder, a model from Phillips will follow shortly thereafter and Panasonic after that. Studios are promising up to 400 titles by year's end. There's still issues with Dolby Vision support, and the first players could be slow and buggy, but the Samsung is being sold for $400, pretty reasonable. You'd have to have a compatible display and receiver/processor to take advantage of the new format. I hope it's successful, but the mainstream seems perfectly content with web content. We'll see...

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #6 of 20 Old 01-14-16, 10:36 PM
Shackster

I can't wait. Just got a 4k tv yesterday. Now I want more 4k content.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-15-16, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are supported on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Many of the new titles are still in Atmos...however, we are starting to see a trickle DTS:X titles (such as The Last Witch Hunter) being promised with a DTS:X encode on Ultra HD BD.

The rollout of DTS:X firmware is manufacturer dependent. Denon should be releasing firmware for several of its receivers on January 28th.

DTS is sending me a demo disc...as soon as Yamaha sends firmware, I'll post an impressions piece.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-15-16, 01:10 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are supported on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Many of the new titles are still in Atmos...however, we are starting to see a trickle DTS:X titles (such as The Last Witch Hunter) being promised with a DTS:X encode on Ultra HD BD. The rollout of DTS:X firmware is manufacturer dependent. Denon should be releasing firmware for several of its receivers on January 28th. DTS is sending me a demo disc...as soon as Yamaha sends firmware, I'll post an impressions piece.
Looking forward to your impressions Todd, especially if DTS has the equivalent of DSU. I think that will actually have more short term value than straight DTS:X, at least until more content becomes available.

Sent from my iPhone using HTShack
post #9 of 20 Old 01-15-16, 01:35 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

It makes me wonder when Oppo is going to release their latest/greatest player. I suspect they are working on UHD right now. And it seems they always stay with their $500 price tag. I always expect great things from Oppo & they always deliver!
post #10 of 20 Old 01-15-16, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
It makes me wonder when Oppo is going to release their latest/greatest player. I suspect they are working on UHD right now. And it seems they always stay with their $500 price tag. I always expect great things from Oppo & they always deliver!
Oppo is the player I'll be reaching for...let's hope it's sooner rather than later! I'll see if I can get an official statement from them.