Smith Freeman of SVS Shares Center Channel Advice and Discusses Company Offerings - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

5Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 05:46 PM

Re: Smith Freeman of SVS Shares Center Channel Advice and Discusses Company Offerings

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Definitely call SVS and talk with them about this...

A true center will probably give more pleasing dialog, however, just due to the nature of its added umph capability (to be technical ;-).
I did talk to SVS - and they said it would be fine. Of course, this was one guy on the end of a phone so I don't know the reliability of this information.

I'm going with the "try it" advice and will have to see how it works. Any good ideas on material that will highlight possible problems? Test tone? Isolated dialog?

The lack of "umph" you mentioned I could understand. I'll have to evaluate that in my 45 day "play" period.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Smith Freeman of SVS Shares Center Channel Advice and Discusses Company Offerings

I'd start with a movie with isolated dialog...something that you're familiar with. Obviously, you'll want to run a vertical vs horizontal comparison. When horizontal, as you move from your center position (head at seated level), you'll easily hear a change if it's audible. It might sound as if the dialog is unnaturally thin or spatially out of place (perhaps aimed in the wrong direction is better way to put it)... From there, move onto music or dialog mixed with music...

If you have an issue, you'll notice it rather easily.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 06:47 PM

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and will reply back.
Todd Anderson likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 09:30 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
The center channel and its unique horizontal design is an unmistakable centerpiece of most multi-channel set-ups. Designed to fit neatly above or below a screen, itís tasked with carrying a tremendous amount of audio information including dialog, movie sound effects, and music, making it a key piece of equipment.

The vertically aligned tweeter and midrange in both models are arranged as such explicitly to present midrange and upper frequency information without any lobing or distortion. We flank the tweeter and midrange with larger woofers to provide low frequency information and deep base, ensuring the speaker performs in a full-range manner when music or sound effects require it.

HTS: Besides form factor, what differentiates a dedicated center channel speaker from a conventional bookshelf speaker? What are the advantages of a purpose-designed center?

SF: Any well designed speaker should be able to perform the duties of a center speaker, but the form factor of a dedicated center speaker allows it have more flexibility with being positioned above or below a TV.

HTS: Enthusiasts are routinely told to place main speakers so that tweeters are approximately ear height. With the exception of a front projection setup, the same is rarely achievable for a center speaker in an average home. What is optimal center speaker placement under real world conditions?

SF: As I mentioned, the optimal center speaker position would be at ear level, centered in the middle of the screen, and on the same plane as the other speakers. This emulates what is done for both movie theaters and recording studios where the master recording is mixed. Since this is rarely possible in most homes, we all have to find what makes the most sense for our living and family spaces.
Image Credits: SVS Sound
Nothing against SVS but I wish companies would show more setups with a true bookshelf in the middle when the room allows for it. Too many people think that they "NEED" a center styled speaker in the middle and think this is the best setup. The first and third picture above would be better served with a height matched bookshelf in the middle. Just my 2 cents.
chriscmore likes this.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-11-16, 05:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
Blacklightning wrote: View Post
Nothing against SVS but I wish companies would show more setups with a true bookshelf in the middle when the room allows for it. Too many people think that they "NEED" a center styled speaker in the middle and think this is the best setup. The first and third picture above would be better served with a height matched bookshelf in the middle. Just my 2 cents.
I wish I could get away with it. As it is my center ultra speaker sticks into my screen about 5" when viewing 16.9 material. I don't mind because I mainly stick to the 2.4 formats but more and more movies are releasing as 16.9

Nothing I can do I absolutely have to have my rack centered in the middle under the screen and I wanted the size of my screen for the 2.4 format. Eventually I'll get motorized sides to shrink the screen along w/ a projector that has motorized zoom/focus/memory so it won't be an issue then.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #16 of 18 Old 02-11-16, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
ddvalk wrote: View Post
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and will reply back.

Please do...I'm curious!
post #17 of 18 Old 02-11-16, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
I wish I could get away with it. As it is my center ultra speaker sticks into my screen about 5" when viewing 16.9 material. I don't mind because I mainly stick to the 2.4 formats but more and more movies are releasing as 16.9

Nothing I can do I absolutely have to have my rack centered in the middle under the screen and I wanted the size of my screen for the 2.4 format. Eventually I'll get motorized sides to shrink the screen along w/ a projector that has motorized zoom/focus/memory so it won't be an issue then.
I moved in the "tower as a center channel" direction and the difference across the entire seating area was night and day... That being said, some centers have a better design than others and the ultimate difference of making a switch might not be as profound depending on what gear you're using.

I do agree with Blacklightning... more pictures showing varied set-ups would be welcomed. Here's a great example...straight from DTS's unveiling of DTS:X (early 2015):

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...112914&thumb=1
Attached Thumbnails
Smith Freeman of SVS Shares Center Channel Advice and Discusses Company Offerings-1933934_10153769670614098_7936131799939258757_n.jpg  

chriscmore likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-11-16, 04:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Yup but unfortunately I cannot go to a tower center unless I custom mounted my screen some 20" off the front wall and this would shorten my viewing distance to 10'. I would need a AT screen at that point. I might be able to do that but I'd move down to a 108" if I did.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"