3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 01:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: 3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction

While I do have a 3D TV as well as 3D Blu ray, I must admit that I only own a handful of 3D movies and that is mostly due to the fact that there are only so many good movies that are worth seeing in 3D.
I will not miss 3D but I do hope they perfect it at some point where we don't need to wear the 3D glasses in the near future.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 02-10-16, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I've never taken 3D seriously simply because the drawbacks outweigh the positives - it certainly has its proponents though. It's good to see manufacturers pushing in another direction... I'll be curious to see if this has a trickle down (or, depending on how you see it... trickle up) effect on 3D movies in commercial theaters. I don't follow the commercial side of the equation all that closely, but it doesn't appear to be anything close to a cash-cow for the industry.
post #13 of 18 Old 02-11-16, 04:24 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

I would be curious about the success of 3D in movie theaters. Our family is unanimous in avoiding them. But there must be a market for them as they do seem to fill seats.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-12-16, 09:20 AM
Elite Shackster

Studio's can justify having them for block buster films since they charge an arm and a leg for the ticket price. People will see it for the special effects. We saw Star Wars in 3D and tickets were pricey but the special effects were incredible. Now, I can't compare to non 3D to say if it was any better or not since I didn't see 2D but the seats were full for the 3D picture.

Main:
Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Wii U Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub

equipment pics.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-12-16, 09:23 AM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
Studio's can justify having them for block buster films since they charge an arm and a leg for the ticket price. People will see it for the special effects. We saw Star Wars in 3D and tickets were pricey but the special effects were incredible. Now, I can't compare to non 3D to say if it was any better or not since I didn't see 2D but the seats were full for the 3D picture.
the 3D was full because the 2D was sold out

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #16 of 18 Old 02-12-16, 01:39 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Here 3D movies in the theaters get the premium times and they tend to get put in the best/biggest theaters. Atmos with UltraAVX tend to all be 3D. Its a scam because I know many of my friends would rather see the 2D version because of the same reasons I dislike 3D (darker picture and those silly glasses) but because we all like the largest screen possible we are stuck getting the 3D.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #17 of 18 Old 02-16-16, 01:51 AM
Shackster

matt

My System
Thumbs down Re: 3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Here 3D movies in the theaters get the premium times and they tend to get put in the best/biggest theaters. Atmos with UltraAVX tend to all be 3D. Its a scam because I know many of my friends would rather see the 2D version because of the same reasons I dislike 3D (darker picture and those silly glasses) but because we all like the largest screen possible we are stuck getting the 3D.
Bingo! -- exactly the same tactics the theaters are using here in Canada -- oops, I just realized that 'tonyvdb' is a fellow Albertan as well, lol. Anyhoo, I remember being 'forced' to watch 'Fury Road' in 3D and absolutely hating the experience because of the darker picture (sound was subpar as well); sentiments that were shared by all four members of our viewing group.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-19-16, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

It would be interesting to get the scoop from the commercial cinema side, but I'm guessing that forcing movie goers in that direction pushes ticket revenue up. The 3D ticket costs more - perhaps a tad more profit is built-in?