3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #1 of 18 Old 02-05-16, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction

Just five short years ago Sony and Panasonic brought 3D televisions to market with a gaggle of other manufacturers in hot pursuit of a similar multi-dimensional aspiration. It may be hard to remember, but the technology was billed as the next great leap in television. In fact, some suggested that the revolutionary realism delivered by 3D would be comparable to the jump from black-and-white to color screens.

Yup, 3D was billed to be bigger than big.

In retrospect, the technology was only slightly more than geeked-up sales fodder. This isnít to say that 3D hasnít had its moments and doesnít have its fans; it has and does. But its overall success has fallen well short of self-promoting industry predictions.

3Dís primary Achilles heel is the necessity for viewers to wear glasses, which (depending on the type of glasses) can be expensive for manufactures to implement. There are also side issues such as diminished display light output, ghosting, viewing annoyances (e.g., headaches), and a complete lack of live television content (which largely disappeared in 2013). Of course 3D Blu-ray content is still readily available and commercial cinemas are still showing movies in the format. However, donít be fooled by the continued existence of commercial and disc-bound 3D media. According the Motion Picture Association of America, 3D ticket sales only accounted for 14-percent of box office sales in the United States and Canada during 2014; 3D Blu-ray sales arenít too much different (they vary by title, but certainly reflect a general preference for non-3D discs).

This brings us to recent exclusive news from a Korean IT news organization called etnews. According to this source, both Samsung and LG Electronics are actively ďgreatly reducing the number of TVs that will have 3D function.Ē In other words, 3D televisions appear to be entering their final cycle. Samsung is said to be completely abandoning 3D on new products (for the time being) and LG is reporting plans to cut 3D television production in half. Etnews supports its Samsung claim with industry insider information from a parts supplier, confirming that Samsung has not requested a further supply of 3D glasses this year. The news site says LG may reserve 3D functionality for only its most expensive models.

The arrival of 4K UHD paired with High Dynamic Range and Wide Color Gamut has hurt the viability of 3D in the consumer setting, crushing what little momentum the technology had reserved for future sales. Letís face it, both UHD and HDR offer significantly more intriguing levels of visual impact without the need for wearable equipment. There has also been fast growth in consumer Virtual Reality technology that may further reduce the demand for 3D content on a television.

Perhaps 3D televisions will re-emerge under different circumstances, which is certainly foreseeable if manufacturers find a way to create a three dimensional feel without the need for glasses. If this happens, weíll likely see it marketed once the sales allure of 4K and HDR has run its course.

Image Credit: Amazon/Samsung
Source Credit: etnews, MPAA, Home Media Magazine
videobruce likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-05-16, 08:55 PM
Shackster

matt

My System
Thumbs up Re: 3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction

Great news, Todd -- let's hope curved flatscreens are the next to get The Gong !

videobruce likes this.

Last edited by ambientcafe; 02-05-16 at 09:21 PM.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-05-16, 09:49 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: 3D TVs are on the Verge of Extinction

Quote:
ambientcafe wrote: View Post
Great news, Todd -- let's hope curved flatscreens are the next to get The Gong !

Hahahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4 of 18 Old 02-05-16, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
ambientcafe wrote: View Post

Don't worry - curves are not far behind!
post #5 of 18 Old 02-06-16, 12:18 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill

3D has been tried by the movie outlets since I was, well lets not go there, Anyway, Gimmicks with glasses will not sell.
Maybe holographics will break through when they get to an affordable price. Maybe not.

Who knows what will happen in the next ten years to 2026.
The transistor wasn't around until I was born.

What the future holds is anyone's guess...

Please feel free to ask for your wishes!

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-shelf.html
post #6 of 18 Old 02-06-16, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

3D I've always hated.... from the first time I saw it at best buy w/ the demo setup they had. I'm a purist at heat... this includes 24fps movies. They have been testing 60fps in theaters recently and I absolutely hate this....

...I hope this doesn't come to play because my projector and bluray player all output 24fps and I love the natural movie look. I love watching older movies that have grain from the film transfer. It looks great!

New movies look great too but they just have a digital feel to them. And curved screens need to vanish although very large anamorphic screens I can see their benefit.... but it's a fad imho.

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #7 of 18 Old 02-06-16, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

You can't blame the industry for searching for technologies that will boost sales...I think immersive sound and HDR are going to end up being legit impact players, which is exciting to have...lots of these other techs (curves, 3D, front height, etc) are afterthoughts.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-06-16, 03:56 PM
Shackster

matt

My System

Being a hipster, I wouldn't mind seeing tele's with wood cabinets again, like on this retro (non-3D ) 24" Crosley that I own ... the front-mounted speakers offer significantly better sound quality than on similar-sized slim fashion models due to the depth of the cabinet, as well as benefitting from the resonant qualities of the wood construction. And hey, with the deeper cabinets, they could integrate immersive-enabled speakers into the top and sides (!) ... obviously, I've got too much idle time on my hands, and sorry for going off-topic.

Last edited by ambientcafe; 02-06-16 at 04:34 PM.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-08-16, 07:58 AM

Quote:
You can't blame the industry for searching for technologies that will boost sales
Yes I surely can. If they need "gimmicks" to sell their wares, then that tells me there 'wares' are suspect!

The overblown "LED TV" scam is the best example.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-08-16, 08:01 AM

They need to try to grossly improve customer support and especially detailed documentation with advanced products which has almost always went lacking.