Sony's New Approach to Product Development: Future Lab Program - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Sony's New Approach to Product Development: Future Lab Program

Sony Electronics recently announced a new R&D initiative aimed at bringing consumers closer to the development process. This is an interesting move for a company within an industry that typically likes to hold its new product development cards close to the chest. Dubbed the "Future Lab Program," Sony is hoping to harness the power of the masses to make products that attack functionalities that truly matter in the real world. This kind of open-door innovation process is certainly intriguing and promises to be a breath of fresh air for tech-starved consumers on the hunt for truly impactful technologies.

"The Future Lab Program embraces an approach to technological research and development that emphasizes an open creative environment and direct lines of communication with society, through which it aims to co-create new lifestyles and user value in the future," said Sony's PR department.

Sony plans on sharing concept prototypes with consumers while products are still in the development stage. Of course, this instantly removes a layer of secrecy that keeps competitors from borrowing ideas, but it allows Sony to tap into the power of the masses for "inspiration" to "refine and evolve its projects."

The Program's logo was created using the initials "F" and "L" as a frame locking-on a target. The company says this represents the idea of attacking challenging problems with technological innovations developed hand-in-hand with the user community. Moving forward, the logo will change as additional letters are added to represent future products.

Sony plans to unveil the first Future Lab Program product at the SXSW Interactive Festival, beginning tomorrow (Saturday, March 12) in Austin, Texas. The company says this first project will be known as "N" and is a concept prototype featuring a hands-free user interface that creates a new way of experiencing audio such as music and sound. While this might seem like a rather bland entry into their new initiative, consider this: Sony says that "N" will ultimately allow users to receive audio information without having to insert any object into his or her ear.

Now that has potential to be something special.

Its unclear how many projects Sony will work on per year, but we do know the company will unveil a number of concept prototypes and technologies, including "N," at its booth ("Sony's Future Lab Program at SXSW") during the SXSW Interactive Festival. More information about the program and its innovations can be found FutureLab.Sony.net.

Here's a brief Future Lab Program movie released by Sony on its website: Watch The Video

Image Credit: Sony Electronics
Robert Zohn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 08:48 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Re: Sony's New Approach to Product Development: Future Lab Program

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
While this might seem like a rather bland entry into their new initiative, consider this: Sony says that "N" will ultimately allow users to receive audio information without having to insert any object into his or her ear.
A loudspeaker?

Kal Rubinson
post #3 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
A loudspeaker?
I wish I had more info...but don't. This appears to be some kind of wearable speaker?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 09:41 AM
Elite Shackster
Kal

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I wish I had more info...but don't. This appears to be some kind of wearable speaker?
OK but I was kidding.

Kal Rubinson
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Kal Rubinson wrote: View Post
OK but I was kidding.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-16, 05:07 PM
HTS Sponsor

Industry Insider

Thanks for bring this to HTS! Very happy to see Sony do this.

Value Electronics, Authorized Factory Direct dealers for LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Elite, Denon, Marantz, Krell, OPPO, Sonance, Definitive Technology, Artison, Leon Speaker Systems & more

Personal equipment:
Video: 2 theaters, Sony's VPL-VW5000ES, 2nd theater, JVC RS66
Family room LG 65" G6 OLED, Gym KRP-500M, Bedroom 65" B6 OLEED, Living room Panasonic 65" VX300
Audio receivers: Pioneer Elite, SC-09; Denon, AVR-7200WA, Marantz SR7011
Pre-pro: Marantz AV8802A w/7&5 ch amps
post #7 of 12 Old 03-12-16, 07:50 AM
Elite Shackster

there should be some kind of device you put on your head that injects signals directly into your cerebrum overriding your ear drums and thus manipulating sound directly into your head instead of actually hearing it. combined that with vision too....

wait... now we are stuck in the 1995 movie "Strange Days" lol

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #8 of 12 Old 03-12-16, 11:51 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
there should be some kind of device you put on your head that injects signals directly into your cerebrum overriding your ear drums and thus manipulating sound directly into your head instead of actually hearing it. combined that with vision too....

wait... now we are stuck in the 1995 movie "Strange Days" lol
When that happens you can throw out all your speakers, amplifiers, cables, and room treatments.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #9 of 12 Old 03-14-16, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Here's what it looks like...
Attached Thumbnails
Sony's New Approach to Product Development: Future Lab Program-1930017_540581389446269_9067738676807141817_n.jpg  

post #10 of 12 Old 03-14-16, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Interesting... not exactly something you'll go jogging with. ;-)