Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #11 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 09:18 AM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System
Re: Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media?

I too like physical media but if a movie that is a rental for me isn't at Redbox then Vudu usually works well for me. All I can say is that if discs go away then I will buy the leftovers at bargain prices and increase my library. I buy movies to watch of course but I like having them in case I have company over. I let them choose a movie and show off my HT. It is allot of fun.
ellisr63 likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR809 HT receiver
HPS-4000,SR-70, John Allen, Klipsch Heresy, Speakers for L.C.R.
QSC GX-5 power amp for L+R mains
Chase Home Theater PRO-10's for surrounds
Behringer EP 4000 pro amp for the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn sub
Oppo BDP-93 universal BD player
Toshiba HD XA2 HD dvd player
Sony VW-VPLPRO1 1080p PJ
Cinema White 1.0 gain 106" fixed frame screen
Dish network with 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 06:26 PM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Just swallowed hard and subscribed to scamflix (I mean netflix) after a three year hiatus. I was one of those loyal long term physical media customers that they decided to give the royal shaft to and more than double my monthly rates in order to continue my subscription. I simply cancelled and vowed never to go back. Now I have two teens in the home that insist on having it primarily for watching on their tiny portable screens. I started streaming a movie in the HT today just to see how it looked. Looks and sounds like crud is about all I can say.

The problem is the majority has no interest in high quality video and audio. That's the really bad news for those of us wanting the best picture and sound we can get on our big screen's. My kids, and even my wife now, are perfectly content to watch on a hand sized display. My daughter has a really nice 32" LCD and Roku in her room but she will still watch most all of her programming on her phone instead. I don't get it and must be weird as I am definitely the odd man out in our household. I pray physical media sticks around for some time to come but if not guess I can turn the HT into a golf/baseball/bowling simulator.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #13 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 06:33 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
Just swallowed hard and subscribed to scamflix (I mean netflix) after a three year hiatus. I was one of those loyal long term physical media customers that they decided to give the royal shaft to and more than double my monthly rates in order to continue my subscription. I simply cancelled and vowed never to go back. Now I have two teens in the home that insist on having it primarily for watching on their tiny portable screens. I started streaming a movie in the HT today just to see how it looked. Looks and sounds like crud is about all I can say. The problem is the majority has no interest in high quality video and audio. That's the really bad news for those of us wanting the best picture and sound we can get on our big screen's. My kids, and even my wife now, are perfectly content to watch on a hand sized display. My daughter has a really nice 32" LCD and Roku in her room but she will still watch most all of her programming on her phone instead. I don't get it and must be weird as I am definitely the odd man out in our household. I pray physical media sticks around for some time to come but if not guess I can turn the HT into a golf/baseball/bowling simulator.
You've just nailed the big picture problem. We are the minority in wanting the best audio/video experience. It will be there for us but we'll pay a premium. I'm ok with that as long as the experience mimics what physical media provides.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #14 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 06:40 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I'm running under the assumption that the disc will be replaced by giant hard drive that we download to - then watch. Of course, this is already happening...just not on a wide scale.

My experience with streaming has been subpar to say the least. Acceptable for casual viewing...but the video/audiophile in me cringes while I watch.
I believe that is what is currently being done in Theaters.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #15 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 09:57 PM
Senior Shackster

I've resigned myself that the discs will disappear in the not-so-distant future when once I thought hey not in my lifetime! Streaming quality isn't quite bluray quality for me, but most times it's pretty good but I'd still rather use a disc. Been with Netflix since the beginning of disc rentals, wonder when they may draw the line and just support their streaming, obviously they were getting ready to a while back when they split the site. Will optical discs later get a revival like vinyl for nostalgia's sake?
post #16 of 53 Old 03-26-16, 11:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Most of the disc rental places in my medium sized city have disappeared. There is one left. Biggest thing killing it, is the potential for late fees. I hate paying $10 for a movie I watch once. You don't have to worry about that with streaming. Of course I always question the quality of streaming though. The absolute worst thing about streaming is when you run in to network/buffering issues. Nothing is worse that having a movie stop and go for 15 minutes or even once during a critical scene. Then theres the issue of actual ownership, like with iTunes songs. You can't resell or trade them and in the event of your death they disappear into the ether that is the internet locked to your account.
post #17 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 08:44 AM
Shackster

I prefer owning the physical media. Having said that, lately I haven't had the opportunity to really sit down and watch a movie in quite a while. For optimal sound and picture, disc is definitely needed. The problem for me with owning media is that most movies I will only ever watch once, thus renting is nice (but not as easy to find a place as it once was). I do buy animated movies in a semi regular basis because we all know kids can watch the same movie a hundred times!
If it is a nice 'audio' movie and nice picture, I have to watch it from physical disc.
Streaming(when working smoothly) does have the benefit of conveniece to watch it wherever and not having to have the disc with you to watch it.

I think previous posters have hit the nail on the head with the issue of ownership. With all this streaming, if the streaming service goes down, you have nothing to watch. Same thing with music with all these streaming services, etc....u don't own the music.

I am far from an audiphile or videophile, but I know a lot of people aren't as concerned with quality. Look at all the people not bothered by watching standard definition tv channels on their 65 inch and bigger screens! Or blaring their soundbars and speakers to distortion.

Physical media for me...but I feels like its time is limited. Everything is moving to being 'data' transmitted via IP. Maybe soon in the future the internet infrastructure will allow for everyone to get full quality BD, 4k content at the same quality as physical disc.
post #18 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
A lot of comments - kids that only care to watch content on their phones and tablets...etc - resonate in my world.

Truth be told people will chose convenience the vast majority of the time.
post #19 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 09:59 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
A lot of comments - kids that only care to watch content on their phones and tablets...etc - resonate in my world.

I think for many this is true. I also think it's unfortunate. IMO, there's a fine line between convenience and laziness. If There's a title I'm interested in, I will drive to town 15 minutes away, to get a rental on redbox vs renting on satellite or streaming. I also make sure my kids pay attention to the reasons why I would do that and why it's worth it for them to do the same. OT: I also don't allow music blasting from cell phone speakers. It has to be plugged in, or via AirPlay or PS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ellisr63 likes this.
post #20 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 10:48 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:

Isn't that the reason we all have CDs vs vinyl?

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread