Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #21 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 11:33 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media?

Physical media for me when I want to watch the latest movie out. I do use Netflix to watch TV shows & some older movies. Very little plain TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 03:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I echo your preference on having a physical disc as I'm a collector. I also agree that physical media is nearing its end of life cycle. It won't be much longer and we'll have no choice but to embrace the world of streaming media.
This is going to be the day sometime soon, and to be this really sucks cause I do not care to stream and if I can get away and just pay for a $40 time warner internet cable bill @ 10mbs/15mbs I will, but this is not really the best plan to stream movies in HDX or basic HD as my kids do get on the internet w/ their school work and playing online with the tablets / phones. To me, this is a low blow to a consumer like me that does not want to be relying on cloud / database servers to store my collection.

Not only that, the acct can be hacked, password changes and you lose your vudu acct. Yes I know I can go call, cry and plead innocent to get my vudu acct back but what hassle that would be to get things straighten out.

I really enjoy my original bluray discs onhand and ready to play my movie w/o depending on my internet to watch a movie.

Really sucks if it comes to it.
post #23 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 03:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

One thing we haven't really seen yet is a major streaming service go out of business. What happens to the media they say you own when that happens? Most likely it will be unavailable and basically lost to you.
post #24 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 03:43 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
The problem is the majority has no interest in high quality video and audio. That's the really bad news for those of us wanting the best picture and sound we can get on our big screen's. My kids, and even my wife now, are perfectly content to watch on a hand sized display.
these millennials..... ........

I could be an automotive tire salesman and if one of these millennials comes I could tell them that 1 tire is bad, but you need all 4 new tires cause you have almost 500 miles on it. They'd bite and I get nice commission.
post #25 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 03:45 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
One thing we haven't really seen yet is a major streaming service go out of business. What happens to the media they say you own when that happens? Most likely it will be unavailable and basically lost to you.
Easy, look up to the 'Cloud'
post #26 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 03:49 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
MatrixDweller wrote: View Post
I am assuming that it will be gone, just like if you stop paying for a service where you downloaded a song. I can't remember which Company it was, but I dumped them as soon as I saw that you had to maintain a membership to access the downloaded music on your HDD.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #27 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 08:36 PM
Elite Shackster

IF the push it towards streaming than the internet providers will start capping data bandwidth. Comcast in some markets limits the amount to 350gb and charges 10 bucks for each additional 50gb used if I remember right.

This will keep the media going strong imho... if the providers start charging for data beyond an initial bulk. Right now I'm averaging some 500gb/mo on my data.... this would quadruple with UHD!

Master Electrician
My Theater Build
XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #28 of 53 Old 03-27-16, 08:44 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post
IF the push it towards streaming than the internet providers will start capping data bandwidth. Comcast in some markets limits the amount to 350gb and charges 10 bucks for each additional 50gb used if I remember right.

This will keep the media going strong imho... if the providers start charging for data beyond an initial bulk. Right now I'm averaging some 500gb/mo on my data.... this would quadruple with UHD!
We get 1TB a month in our plan...if I was to stream all my TV, and movies that would be used up fast. If they go to all streaming...the Internet needs to get faster, no caps, and cost no more than it does now IMO.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #29 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 12:13 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media?

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
We get 1TB a month in our plan...if I was to stream all my TV, and movies that would be used up fast. If they go to all streaming...the Internet needs to get faster, no caps, and cost no more than it does now IMO.

I think caps are a form of extortion. We have 50mb up/down fiber for 50 bucks a month. They offer up to 1gb up/down. But that's 250 bucks. Yikes.
Oops....no cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by willis7469; 03-28-16 at 04:20 AM.
post #30 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 02:55 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill

Quote:
Talley wrote: View Post

Wow! Just Wow...

I am currently on 20Gb + @ 20 Gb off prime time for au$60 per month.... You guys have it so good!

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-shelf.html