Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 04:11 AM
Senior Shackster

Re: Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media?

I couldn't remember what mine was. Just chatted online with a CenturyLink rep, as there's absolutely nothing in my account pages that specifies anything about an amount of data up or down, who says when I get there (to the limit) they'll send me a message asking me if I want extended plan coverage...I said when will that occur....he thinks its 350GB.....then says maybe its 250. Their computers were down so no real info. Great stuff. This is USD60/Mo. The 250GB sounds a bit low if I get crazy on watching videos, and I'm not even capable of the highest speeds (dsl service 12Mbps).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 07:30 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
lovinthehd wrote: View Post
I couldn't remember what mine was. Just chatted online with a CenturyLink rep, as there's absolutely nothing in my account pages that specifies anything about an amount of data up or down, who says when I get there (to the limit) they'll send me a message asking me if I want extended plan coverage...I said when will that occur....he thinks its 350GB.....then says maybe its 250. Their computers were down so no real info. Great stuff. This is USD60/Mo. The 250GB sounds a bit low if I get crazy on watching videos, and I'm not even capable of the highest speeds (dsl service 12Mbps).
Centurylink has an official "soft cap" of 250 gigs... it's there but they really don't enforce it too much.......for NOW
post #33 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 07:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
Centurylink has an official "soft cap" of 250 gigs... it's there but they really don't enforce it too much.......for NOW
Yes, he used the term soft cap but without a definition, had to press him to come up with a number....which he wasn't sure of (or is it specific to area served?). The ISPs are just holding Damocles sword over our heads....
post #34 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 08:07 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
lovinthehd wrote: View Post
Yes, he used the term soft cap but without a definition, had to press him to come up with a number....which he wasn't sure of (or is it specific to area served?). The ISPs are just holding Damocles sword over our heads....
yeah, I've worked with them before. Basically they have an OFFICIAL cap of 250 gigs but really don't bother people for going over unless they're big users who do terabytes a month... they're reserving the right to crack down anytime they want to but aren't really doing much about it now. I live in one of the "test" areas for Comcast and they do have a 350 gig a month HARD cap and if you go over they charge you $10 for every 50 gigs increment you use.
post #35 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 08:28 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I'm able to see the best of all worlds. I don't want the physical disc to go away, but I also have a great internet connection and take advantage of streaming too. I have about 1000 vinyl records, about 50 CDs, and 25K songs in my iTunes library.

There are some films I just want to have on a disc - the best of the best, basically. I like to have the best quality audio and video for these. The great audio mixes, the reference quality video deserve the physical media. But other films that I thoroughly enjoy aren't necessarily a/v blockbusters, and I'm perfectly content to stream them. Not unlike the fact that there are some films I want to own, and others I'll happily rent on blu-ray or streaming, or wait until they're available to stream on Netflix.

When I first switched over to purchasing blu-ray discs, there were several titles I owned on DVD that I saw fit to repurchase on blu-ray for the quality bump. For the rest of my DVD library, well, I still wanted HD versions, but didn't see the need to drop another $20+ on a disc. For these, I used Vudu's disc-to-digital and did 10 at a time for $2.50 each, upgrading the SD DVDs to HD digital files and storing the DVDs in the attic.

I don't have cable or satellite, but I have Netflix and Hulu for casual viewing. I use Vudu and the iTunes store for occasional rentals and purchases, or watching titles I own. I also have Amazon Prime, since I love the free 2-day shipping, and I watch some of their content as well. The one service I don't really use is Redbox, and I'm not sure why. It never really caught on for me, but my girlfriend uses it all the time. I prefer going to the actual video store when I rent. I like to help keep them open since their selection is much better, and I also like perusing their racks of titles for sale. I've actually bought quite a few films from their 'previously viewed' section for $5 each.

Everything has a place. When The Force Awakens is released, I'll buy that blu-ray. But I'll probably just rent Daddy's Home via Vudu.
post #36 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 11:03 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I think caps are a form of extortion. We have 50mb up/down fiber for 50 bucks a month. They offer up to 1gb up/down. But that's 250 bucks. Yikes.
Oops....no cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have 100gb download, and 20gb upload with a 1TB limit per month for about $80 with taxes.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #37 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 11:06 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

I can't believe they cap you. I always thought it was only cell phone companies. In my area, none of them do. I can't imagine how fast a couple nights of "call of Duty", or need for speed would kill a data limit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #38 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 01:08 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
willis7469 wrote: View Post
I can't believe they cap you. I always thought it was only cell phone companies. In my area, none of them do. I can't imagine how fast a couple nights of "call of Duty", or need for speed would kill a data limit! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
^^^This! Google Fiber coming your way to save the day.
post #39 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 01:11 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
^^^This! Google Fiber coming your way to save the day.
I wish we were on the map for Google Fiber...we live 40 miles from Google in the Silicone Valley, and we are not included.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #40 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 01:22 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
I wish we were on the map for Google Fiber...we live 40 miles from Google in the Silicone Valley, and we are not included.
Their choice of initial locations was a little odd to me. The expansion will continue and force competitors to raise their game. https://fiber.google.com/newcities/