Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media? - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

4Likes

post #41 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 01:51 PM
HTS Moderator

Lou

My System
Re: Are We Witnessing The End of Physical Movie Media?

I've always wrestled with physical media vs. available space, and the media always won. It's just a priority of mine to be able to hold and admire packaging, artwork, and liner notes. Yet as my collection expands to fill all discretionary space, I yearn for a bigger and better mousetrap. Ripping to HD is one solution, but the startup complexities are compounded by cataloging and hardware/software maintenance issues I'm unwilling to endure, even though I'm PC-literate.

I've had both horrid and excellent streaming experiences on Netflix, but know little of other options. If that's the best currently offered, I prefer to be labeled "old school" and stick to hardcopy media (even DVD's, which my player upscales quite nicely, thank you)!

I try to be as good as my dog thinks I am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old 03-28-16, 03:18 PM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Glad to hear I may not be the only one with internet bandwidth issues. We are a bit remote but luckily just close enough to at least get DSL into the neighborhood. Centurylink has done a pretty good job of incrementally upgrading the service over the last 15 years and I now have 25MB down and 2MB up. We can stream ok here but when the entire neighborhood is online the network cannot deliver full BW to everyone. No way I could scrap the dish for TV viewing. Streaming is just not reliable and fast enough to our home yet.
post #43 of 53 Old 03-29-16, 10:57 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Physical media for me all the way for bothe movies and music.
I have used streaming once in the last 5 years !
post #44 of 53 Old 03-29-16, 11:56 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
J&D wrote: View Post
Glad to hear I may not be the only one with internet bandwidth issues. We are a bit remote but luckily just close enough to at least get DSL into the neighborhood. Centurylink has done a pretty good job of incrementally upgrading the service over the last 15 years and I now have 25MB down and 2MB up. We can stream ok here but when the entire neighborhood is online the network cannot deliver full BW to everyone. No way I could scrap the dish for TV viewing. Streaming is just not reliable and fast enough to our home yet.

This was me too. Rural area, 15 miles to either city north or south. Our IP was clearwire.(shudder). The best they could offer was 1.5mb and many times when I'd speed test I was in the 700kb range. Satellite IP was not in my cards since we game online and latency is way too high. THEN, our locally owned IP got a grant to plow fiber in, and boom! Life is good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #45 of 53 Old 03-29-16, 12:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Now this is a posting group that I can surely identify with. I love having the Blu-ray movies and there is at this time nothing that I feel keeps up with that belief. I do watch a goodly number of movies over streaming services mainly Netflix and Amazon however I have found that the Apple TV bests them all. The downside of course is that Apple TV charges for everything and Amazon charges for a good bit of the products we want to watch except for the prime offerings and Netflix doesn't really provide the new in the best of all it's my understanding that they are offering 4K downloads of which I have not yet seen. So this is quite a conundrum and that I really want to watch the discs. I do think that there will be a time like someone mentioned above will be able to download large files in way of movies store them on some sort of storage product and then be able to plant and anytime.
post #46 of 53 Old 03-29-16, 09:03 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System
Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
Their choice of initial locations was a little odd to me. The expansion will continue and force competitors to raise their game. https://fiber.google.com/newcities/
The deployment locations may have as much to do with the existing franchise rights other carriers have with the cities as anything else.
post #47 of 53 Old 03-29-16, 11:47 PM
Shackster

If movie studio can sell soft copy of the media safely without being hacked, physical media would have died long ago.
post #48 of 53 Old 03-31-16, 11:18 AM
Shackster

I'm about 70/30 Blu-Ray/Streaming, although most of the streaming is from my kids and wife. I watch mostly Blu-Rays. No data cap as far as I know.

And I'm almost certain that Blockbuster and Hollywood did not literally bite any dust......
post #49 of 53 Old 04-02-16, 11:25 PM
Shackster

My System

I will agree with everyone else, physical media is the best and online streaming is a poor substitute at best.

IMO the problem is people don't care for high quality in audio or video anymore, its about convenience, short attention spans and complete lack of quality. Its why physical magazines died and the quality of journalism went way down, and in the same way the quality of movies these days is not really that good.
post #50 of 53 Old 04-03-16, 08:23 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Defcon wrote: View Post
I will agree with everyone else, physical media is the best and online streaming is a poor substitute at best.

IMO the problem is people don't care for high quality in audio or video anymore, its about convenience, short attention spans and complete lack of quality. Its why physical magazines died and the quality of journalism went way down, and in the same way the quality of movies these days is not really that good.
Totally agree.