Sony Releases New Affordable Players; Dismisses 4K Blu-ray (BDP-S6700, UHP-H1) - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

2Likes

post #11 of 13 Old 05-10-16, 07:29 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System
Re: Sony Releases New Affordable Players; Dismisses 4K Blu-ray (BDP-S6700, UHP-H1)

Quote:
JBrax wrote: View Post
I've been eyeing 75-90" 4K displays and it seems HDR is the main feature that differentiates price. It would appear to me that's the way to go. Yes?
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
100% - yes.
It should be noted that the very quality that makes for a great HDR-capable TV—a very high native contrast ratio—also makes for better-looking reproduction of HD BT.709 content. But not the cheap TVs that claim to do HDR like Vizio M and the lower-tier LGs. But LG's OLED, Vizio P, Samsung KS series, and Sony's top TVs are all also going to look better playing Blu-rays than TVs that came before. They will all nail the rec.709 color space and they will all support between a 60 and 70 foot-lambert peak brightness for a SDR calibration (great for rooms with moderate ambient light, which is so common.).

DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 05-10-16, 07:32 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System
Re: Sony Releases New Affordable Players; Dismisses 4K Blu-ray (BDP-S6700, UHP-H1)

Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
Perhaps. That's one way to corral folks toward that product. But, one would have to assume the targeted audience for a PS4 reboot would fall more in line with the streaming-focused crowd?
You never know with PlayStation. The PS3 did a lot to popularize Blu-ray, but it was also an early Netflix streaming platform and the first to offer 1080p from that service. The PS4, I thought would be a streaming powerhouse but in effect Sony did nothing in that regard. But if the PS4 moves to an Ultra HD BD drive, that would increase the install base for that format automatically in a way that simply appealing to the videophile HT crowd would not.

DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
post #13 of 13 Old 05-19-16, 01:24 AM
gac
Shackster

Given that this player has been named UHP-H1, it would be interesting to know if Sony has in mind a follow-up called UHP-H2, which to be provided with 7.1 channels analogue output. This might be useful for those who enjoy listening to multi-channel music from DVD-Audio, SACD and BD-Audio despite the player has only 4K video upscale capability.