Philips Set to Ship 4K UHD Blu-ray Player in June - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Philips Set to Ship 4K UHD Blu-ray Player in June

Following months of chest thumping and threats of invading the market during Quarter 4 of 2015, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray’s rollout has been relatively “meh” by new tech standards. Yes, discs are now hitting the market with regularity, elaborately clad with the format’s new black packaging and silver branding. But where are the physical players, themselves?

Thus far, the market has one 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player actively on store shelves: Samsung’s UBD-K8500.

That’s it.

Sony, several weeks ago, revealed its new players would only offer 4K up-conversion (no true 4K disc compatibility). Instead, Sony is opting to focus its full attention on 4K streaming. Then there’s Panasonic, which announced its new DMP-UB900 4K player earlier this year. Consumers interested in Panasonic’s model will have to wait at least two to three more months for an official release.

That leaves one last manufacturer: Philips. One of the bigger surprises of CES 2016 was Philip’s reveal of its BDP-7051 Ultra HD player. If I were a betting man, I never would have put money on Philips to beat Sony to the Ultra HD player market. The company, however, has made it abundantly clear that they believe the availability of Ultra HD players will prime consumers’ wallets for a 4K television purchase (another market space Philips is actively pursuing).

"4K Ultra HD Blu-ray provides consumers with the opportunity to own and enjoy stunning 4K content without the glitches that can occur when streaming large 4K files," said Karl Bearnarth, executive vice president, sales and marketing, P&F USA, Inc., the exclusive North American licensee for Philips consumer televisions and home video products. "This is a significant step in the transition from HD to 4K Ultra HD, and one that we believe will quicken consumers' adoption of 4K, especially as they see what the combination of 4K, HDR and Ultra HD Blu-ray's wide color gamut can achieve."

Originally slated for a May release, Philips has officially confirmed the BDP-7501 will be available next month for $400. The 7501 will feature a brushed aluminum chassis, while a second model (BDP-7301) has a piano black exterior. Both models ship with built-in HEVC and VP9 decoders for playing Netflix and YouTube 4K content streamed via Wi-Fi (802.11ac) or onboard Ethernet. They also will upscale legacy media content, play older 3D Blu-ray discs, carry Dolby Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio, offer a discrete HDMI output for connection to an AV receiver, and support High Dynamic Range with HDMI 2.0a.

As you can see in the photo at the top of the article, Philips’ player carries an enticing minimalist design footprint. This feature plays perfectly to a market that has been more than accepting of gear sized for small spaces.

Outside of Philips, Samsung, and Panasonic, there’s a good chance that other well known manufacturers (including LG and Oppo) will eventually release 4K player alternatives. The wait for their potential product launches, however, could be lengthy.

Image Credit: Philips
Dub King likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 01:53 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
So the rumor of the PS4K is untrue?
post #3 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
No standalone player, for sure. I guess there's always potential for a PS4 variant... But I've not heard anything confirmed.
post #4 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I read the PS4K or Neo will be releasing around the same time as Sony's VR. This is all speculation of course but where there's smoke there's fire.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: Philips Set to Ship 4K UHD Blu-ray Player in June

I just did some poking around - according to CNET, they believe it will support 4K streaming. But, whether or not there is native 4K support (or only up conversion) remains to be seen.

If Sony is bold, they'll only add 4K streaming...forcing its customers toward a 4K streaming platform.

Hmmm...
post #6 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 04:03 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Todd Anderson wrote: View Post
I just did some poking around - according to CNET, they believe it will support 4K streaming. But, whether or not there is native 4K support (or only up conversion) remains to be seen. If Sony is bold, they'll only add 4K streaming...forcing its customers toward a 4K streaming platform. Hmmm...
I sure hope they don't take that direction. I'm a collector and like having physical media. Plus, as a consumer I don't like my hand being forced. I want options and I'm willing to pay for those options. My plan was to buy the PS4K but if it's not spec'd to my liking my business will be taken elsewhere. I might have to swap the Samsung for an Oppo when they release a 4K player.
post #7 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I agree on the physical media front... Honestly, Jeff, I think your best bet is to hold the Samsung and wait for Oppo. However, that being said, your audio processing is taking place in your AVR and the chance of you actually seeing any kind of difference between players (on your TV) is slim.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 08:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I've always wanted an Oppo player. It might be time.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-18-16, 10:04 PM
Senior Shackster

Mark Henninger

My System

Samsung says it can't make enough of its player (granted it's probably a small production line).

DIY HTPC - 32GB RAM, 4.4Ghz overclocked quad-core i5 CPU -- -- Crown XTi-2002 -- Crown XTi-1000 -- Mains: 4X Sony Xplod XS-GTX121LW 12" subwoofer/woofers & Selenium D3300Ti 2" Titanium Horn Driver (tweeter) -- Subwoofers - 4X DIY 12" Sony Xplod Ported - 16hz tune -- Pioneer Elite SC-55 AVR
post #10 of 22 Old 05-19-16, 05:22 PM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Still can't believe Sony isn't doing a UHD player. Seems like if they're staking their fortunes on streaming only, it's gonna backfire and become another "Beta" for them. Of course, they could still get in to physical media players if the writing's on the wall (so it's not really comparable to Beta vs VHS), but they'll miss out on sales and relevancy during and after probably. And this on a format that they invented essentially! I suppose that minds immeasurably superior to mine have a plan and know what they are doing . . .

I had no idea Phillips was working on a player, and that there was anything on the immediate horizon other than the Panny. It will be interesting to see what Oppo comes up with and how much it costs.