Epson's New Home Theater Projectors Deliver Bang for Buck - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Todd Anderson
  • 2 Post By ellisr63

post #1 of 10 Old 06-26-16, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Epson's New Home Theater Projectors Deliver Bang for Buck

CE Week 2016 was a launching pad for several buzz-worthy products including four new great looking Epson home theater projectors. The new Pro Cinema 6040UB and 4040 and the Home Cinema 5040UB and 5040Ube were debuted at the New York City event, rounding-out a solid allotment of offerings from Epson this model year.

Epsonís four new projectors fall just below Epsonís high-end LS10000 and LS9600 offerings at price points that most buyers will find much more palatable ($2,699 - $3,999). Much like JVCís projector models, the Pro Cinema 6040UB and Pro Cinema 4040 are 1080p projectors that use pixel shift to create the illusion of a sharper and more well defined picture. Epson calls this tech ď4K Enhancement Technology.Ē Both projectors can accept 4K UHD signals laced with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG) material. The projectors can deliver up to 2,500 lumens and present a claimed 1,000,0000:1 dynamic contrast ratio.

"With mesmerizing resolution, up to a million-to-one dynamic contrast ratio and a full range of premium cinema features, the new Pro Cinema projectors are nothing short of amazing," said Rodrigo Catalan, senior product manager, Projectors, Epson America. "Moreover, the flagship Pro Cinema 6040UB offers a level of performance that challenges any 4K projector currently available on the market. Viewers will enjoy stunning quality 4K UHD movies whether delivered from a UHD Blu-ray disk or streaming services."

I had an opportunity to demo a professionally calibrated 6040UB operating in near-perfect dark conditions at CE Week, and the experience was quite impressive. The projector is capable of creating a deliciously balanced image with excellent levels of brightness. The Epson crew had a calibrated Sony VPL-VW665ES in the same room for instant direct comparisons. Considering a price difference of nearly $10,000, the Epson 6040UB looked great next to Sonyís true 4K darling. Sonyís image was slightly more saturated and rich, but I would hardly be dissatisfied with Epsonís image in my own home theater. If your budget has you looking in the $3,000 to $4,000 range, then definitely give the 6040UB a look. Both projectors are available through Epsonís authorized installation dealers.

A front and backside look at Epsonís new 5040UB.

The Home Cinema 5040Ube and 5040UB (sold direct online) also feature 4K Enhancement along with full 4K HDR and WCG signal compatibility, but slide-in at slightly lower price points. These two projectors are nearly identical the Pro Cinema offerings with the added advantage (5040UBe) of wireless HDMI functionality across four input devices.

All four projectors replace the UB Series' standard manual zoom with a motorized zoom lens and lens memory (10 positions). This is huge for buyers looking to take advantage of switching between cinemascope and 16:9 aspect ratios. They also feature new optical engines and auto iris technology.

All four projectors will be available in August at the following pricing:
  • 6040UB: $3,999 (MSRP)
  • 4040: $2,699 (MSRP)
  • 5040UB: $3,299 (MSRP)
  • 5040UB: $2,999 (MSRP)

Image Credit: Epson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-27-16, 09:39 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: Epson's New Home Theater Projectors Deliver Bang for Buck

Wowser, now were talking! Gotta love technology!

Now I really want to see what JVC & Panasonic are going to come out with.

Last edited by Tonto; 06-27-16 at 01:18 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-27-16, 11:55 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Did you get a chance to see the Epson Pro L1100U Projector? I am thinking this might be what I need, but I haven't seen any prices yet.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #4 of 10 Old 06-28-16, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
ellisr63 wrote: View Post
Did you get a chance to see the Epson Pro L1100U Projector? I am thinking this might be what I need, but I haven't seen any prices yet.
Unfortunately, no. They only had one model up and running. The L1100U was on display, though. They are impressive/robust looking projectors!

Epson always has a large presence at CEDIA... which I plan on attending... I'm sure they'll have it on full display there!
ellisr63 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-28-16, 08:40 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System

Where is CEDIA going to be this year?
post #6 of 10 Old 06-28-16, 08:51 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Where is CEDIA going to be this year?
CEDIA 2016 will take place on September 13-17 at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas.
Tonto and Todd Anderson like this.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #7 of 10 Old 06-28-16, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Some great BBQ around those parts...

trust me! ;-)
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-16, 11:45 AM
Shackster

Seems to hit a sweet spot on the performance/price curve.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-30-16, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
dschlic1 wrote: View Post
Seems to hit a sweet spot on the performance/price curve.
Absolutely... was nice to see it running fully calibrated without any clear drive / frame interpolation engaged. I'll be curious to see where its street price falls.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-05-16, 10:04 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Really nice to see lens memory showing up in more models. With 10 settings, that could be a winner for use with all the "almost 2.4:1" modes like 2.35, 2.39, etc. These are definitely worth a look for CIH setups.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter