AMC to Speed Up Dolby Cinema Rollout - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 08-22-16, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
AMC to Speed Up Dolby Cinema Rollout

AMC’s new line of commercial theaters has certainly caught the attention of nit-picky home theater enthusiasts that, for years, have shunned the standard (and, admittedly, middling quality) movie theater experience. After all, it’s tough to wander away from the friendly confines of a finely tuned home theater only to find uncomfortable seating, poor video conditions, and harsh sound. The theater industry isn’t ignorant to that fact and is constantly looking for new ways to coax movie fans to the box office.

Dolby and AMC Theaters joined forces in the spring of 2015 to take dead-aim at pure quality by creating Dolby Cinema at AMC theater locations. These cinemas are laced with premium technologies such as Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and are anchored by Dolby Vision laser projection systems that deliver high dynamic range with enhanced color and black levels that are deep and dark.

The “in theater” experience delivered by this package is quite astounding and most definitely notable. All of the superlatives we love to use when describing premium home video and audio systems seem to apply. Atmos audio delivers truly immersive sound while the video experience is eye candy deluxe. Toss in recliners and seat shaking tactile transducers, and you have an experience that’s worth the trip and the coin.

On the film front, 50 Dolby Cinema titles have been released in slightly over one year. Notable current (and future) titles include Kubo and the Two Strings, Suicide Squad, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Cars 3, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales.

Recently, AMC and Dolby announced plans to radically increase the rollout of Dolby Cinema locations, hoping to reach a total of 100 international sites by the end of 2017. That’s a mark that the two companies originally planned to reach by the end of the year 2024 (which was the culmination of a 10-year development period). Both “guest reaction” and “overwhelming success” (better read as: income) are reasons for this hurried acceleration.

"The popularity and success of Dolby Cinema at AMC led to its expansion at an accelerated rate, with 22 locations already open and a few dozen more planned for 2016," said John McDonald, Executive Vice President, U.S. Operations, AMC. "It's clear that our guests enjoy the premium audio, vibrant contrast and color, and the incredible comfort of the plush, power recliners at Dolby Cinema at AMC, and with this announcement, we're thrilled that more guests than ever will have access to this incredible experience."

The following is a list of current and future Dolby Cinema at AMC locations (for more information about available titles, click here):

CURRENT LOCATIONS
Arizona
  • AMC Desert Ridge 18
  • AMC Mesa Grand 24
California
  • AMC Burbank 16
  • AMC Century City 15
  • AMC Del Amo 18
  • AMC Newpark 12
  • AMC Norwalk 20
Colorado
  • AMC Flatiron Crossing 14
Georgia
  • AMC North Point Mall 12
Illinois
  • AMC Hawthorn 12
Kansas
  • AMC Town Center 20
Missouri
  • AMC BarryWoods 24
Nevada
  • AMC Townsquare 18
New Jersey
  • AMC Garden State 16
New York
  • AMC Empire 25
Ohio
  • AMC West Chester 18
Texas
  • AMC Deerbrook 24
  • AMC Northpark 15
  • AMC Village on the Parkway 9
  • AMC Willowbrook 24
Virginia
  • AMC Hampton Towne Centre 24
  • AMC Tysons Corner 16
Washington
  • AMC River Park Square 20

FUTURE LOCATIONS / COMING SOON
California
  • AMC Orange 30

Washington, DC
  • AMC Loews Georgetown 14
Florida
  • AMC Altamonte Mall 18
  • AMC Aventura 24
  • AMC Orange Park 24
  • AMC Tallahassee Mall 20
Georgia
  • AMC Southlake 24
Illinois
  • AMC Loews Crestwood 18
  • AMC South Barrington 30
Louisiana
  • AMC Elmwood Palace 20
Washington
  • AMC Loews Alderwood Mall 16

Image Credit: Dolby, AMC Theaters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-22-16, 03:30 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: AMC to Speed Up Dolby Cinema Rollout

Wow, I live in Tallahassee! That will be a great "+" for the local venue. They already have the theater seating which is nice...but adding Atmos/Visioin will be the tech that will pull me back for the epics. I would even consider some of the older movies like LOTR & such if they make them over.

Nice work AMC!
post #3 of 5 Old 08-29-16, 09:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Sweet. 2 of 4 locations are in Houston and one is 7 minutes away!

Master Electrician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

XPA-7 & Krell Showcase 7 | XMC-1 | SVS Ultra Tower system | HSU VTF-15H MK2 | BenQ W1070 | Jamestown 135"
post #4 of 5 Old 08-29-16, 11:44 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-16, 06:23 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System

I probably take it for granted having one so close to me. If things were different I would have no problem whatsoever driving an hour to experience what these theaters provide. It really is a movie watching experience on another level.