Viacom channels disappear from DirecTV after the two companies can't reach a deal - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-12, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-12, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Viacom channels disappear from DirecTV after the two companies can't reach a deal

About the only channel that I watch, and that's only a few times a year, is the Comedy channel. Good riddance Viacom! My kids do occasionally watch Nick though. But those channels have been stale for several years. And I don't even think they play music videos on their music video channels anymore , do they?!?!?

If I were DirecTV, I'd be waiting until they give me a discount. This will hurt Viacom more than DirecTV in the long run.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-12-12, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Re: Viacom channels disappear from DirecTV after the two companies can't reach a deal

Viacom has apparently pulled their shows from the web. So now you can no longer stream them.

I think Viacom will lose this battle in the long run.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-12, 07:15 PM
Banned!

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Viacom has apparently pulled their shows from the web. So now you can no longer stream them.

I think Viacom will lose this battle in the long run.
That was pretty and shows the company you are dealing with. I wont miss em, I hope they hurt by the end of this.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-13-12, 02:08 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

I spoke with Directv and asked them if all the Viacom channels are dropped from all the packages because if you go to directv.com they advestise the Viacom channels on the Choice Extra and higher packages. They told me they are still working with Viacom and that the channels are not in any package right now but I ask myself if they are adverstising it on the Choice Extra because in the long run we will have to pay more.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-12, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System

Viacom channels are back.

Quote:
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV has reached a new long-term agreement with Viacom to restore 17 channels (including Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, MTV, BET, Spike, CMT, TV Land and ten other channels) that Viacom had taken away from DIRECTV customers on July 10. Viacom has returned all affected networks.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

In addition to the channels' return, DIRECTV customers will also gain the ability to see Viacom programming on tablets, laptops, handhelds and other personal devices via the DIRECTV Everywhere platform. Carriage of the EPIX movie channel is not required as part of the new agreement.

"We are very pleased to be able to restore the channels to our customers and thank them for their unprecedented patience and support," said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Content Strategy and Development for DIRECTV. "It's unfortunate that Viacom took the channels away from customers to try to gain leverage, but in the end, it's clear our customers recognized that tactic for what it was."

Chang added, "The attention surrounding this unnecessary and ill-advised blackout by Viacom has accomplished one key thing: it serves notice to all media companies that bullying TV providers and their customers with blackouts won't get them a better deal. It's high time programmers ended these anti-consumer blackouts once and for all and prove our industry is about enabling people to connect to their favorite programs rather than denying them access."

The dispute helped generate significant public support from hundreds of thousands of customers and also, surprisingly enough, many high-profile DIRECTV competitors. The 850 small and independently owned local cable systems that make up the American Cable Association joined the anti-blackout chorus, as did Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable and Mediacom.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-20-12, 10:35 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

Great news for Directv customers and I hope there will be pressure on media companies to negotiate in the future without resorting to these types of gorilla tactics. Like a group of kids on the playground and the kid with ball just decides to go home because he cannot get his way. These negotiations should solely remain between the two negotiating partners and the end users (each of us) should be kept out of the process. Unless they want to disclose details of the negotiations and make us aware of the actual ongoing conversations. At the moment we are just being held hostage and used as pawns.