Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-21-12, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
mechman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-21-12, 02:20 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 451
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

I question the 80% (of US TV households) figure since it doesn't seem likely that 80% US households belong to the groups that were mentioned as providers. Even then, it assumes 100% of those subscribers are equipped with 3D capable boxes or receivers (just to get a 3D video signal) which isn't the case. For example, I have two HD DTV receivers, but one being an HR20 and the other an H20, they won't allow me to watch 3D content. (I gave up on 3D via DTV when this receiver exception happened, because changing receivers opens a whole new can of worms for me.)

How about a simple poll on this forum to see how many followers are:

1) In possession of a receiver or box that provides a 3D HDMI signal

2) In possession of a 3D capable display

Let's see if it's anywhere close to 80% and consider the followers here are probably better set up video-wise than the average US household.

Not to support or knock 3D (it's great that the Olympics will be available in 3D). I'm just interested in truth in advertising.
RBTO is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
I question the 80% (of US TV households) figure since it doesn't seem likely that 80% US households belong to the groups that were mentioned as providers. Even then, it assumes 100% of those subscribers are equipped with 3D capable boxes or receivers (just to get a 3D video signal) which isn't the case. For example, I have two HD DTV receivers, but one being an HR20 and the other an H20, they won't allow me to watch 3D content. (I gave up on 3D via DTV when this receiver exception happened, because changing receivers opens a whole new can of worms for me.)
The 80% means that 80% of US households will have the signal available to them. Whether they have a 3D setup or not that signal is available to them.

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
How about a simple poll on this forum to see how many followers are:

1) In possession of a receiver or box that provides a 3D HDMI signal
I have 2.

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
2) In possession of a 3D capable display
I have 2.

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
Let's see if it's anywhere close to 80% and consider the followers here are probably better set up video-wise than the average US household.

Not to support or knock 3D (it's great that the Olympics will be available in 3D). I'm just interested in truth in advertising.
I don't think there's anything wrong with their claims at all. I think if there were one of the many other news outlets carrying this would have called them out on it.

I think a better poll would be how many members will actually watch the Olympics in 3D. I will not.
mechman is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 09:42 AM
Senior Shackster
Bob
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 451
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post

I think a better poll would be how many members will actually watch the Olympics in 3D. I will not.
You mean "how many members will actually watch the Olympics."????

Fair enough, place that as the number 1 question above the other two.

Between you and me, the US households who will get the Olympics in 3D is still at 50% (and the number watching 0%).
RBTO is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
Between you and me, the US households who will get the Olympics in 3D is still at 50% (and the number watching 0%).
Actually it is 100%. You get the signal. You just don't have anything in your house that can use it.

Number watching... still at 0%.
mechman is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 12:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Bob
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 451
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Actually it is 100%. You get the signal. You just don't have anything in your house that can use it.

Number watching... still at 0%.
Actually, if you read my original post, I have H20 and HR20 STV receivers which don't provide the 3D signal. So it's 50% and if I include my vacation cabin as a US residence, it's 33% (and still 0% watching).
RBTO is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 01:24 PM
Elite Shackster
 
phillihp23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,124
My System
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

I have't tried 3D Cable...don't even know if my box is capable.
I will probably watch the Olympics...especially since there will be such a wide coverage this year.
I would like to watch sports other than the traditional swiming and gymnastics.
phillihp23 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 07-23-12, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
RBTO wrote: View Post
Actually, if you read my original post, I have H20 and HR20 STV receivers which don't provide the 3D signal. So it's 50% and if I include my vacation cabin as a US residence, it's 33% (and still 0% watching).
It doesn't matter if your box can decode the signal or not, you are getting the signal. What you choose to do with it is your choice but it is available to you. I have been getting the signal for quite some time but have only recently been able to view anything in 3D.

Anyone with DirecTV that is getting a signal from 103 - transponder #3, which also sends the signal for Palladia, is getting the signal. That's NBC and Panasonic's point, the signal is available if folks want to pony up and use it.

Semantics. I know. But it gives them that big number (80%) that they want to use. In reality, I'd guess less than 10% of US households will watch the Olympics in 3D. That does not include the folks who will just check it out briefly, such as myself.
mechman is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 07-25-12, 08:47 PM
Plain ole user
 
lcaillo's Avatar
Tech Guru
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 11,121
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

And what percentage of that 80% care? My guess is about 10%. And some of those ask the same question as me...how much am I paying and how much compromise is there on the rest of the production to get that 3D option? Maybe one camera with a better lens would be of more value to me?

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
lcaillo is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 07-26-12, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster
 
mechman's Avatar
Steve Mechelke -mech
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Empire Township, MN
Posts: 14,914
My System
Re: Panasonic Says 80 Percent of TV Homes Will Get London 2012 Olympic Games in 3D

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
And what percentage of that 80% care? My guess is about 10%. And some of those ask the same question as me...how much am I paying and how much compromise is there on the rest of the production to get that 3D option? Maybe one camera with a better lens would be of more value to me?
My guess was less than 10%. And I could not agree more with the rest of your post.
mechman is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012 , 3d , 80 , games , homes , london , olympic , panasonic , percent , tv

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome