DVD and Blu-ray still preferred over streaming for movies - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 13 Old 08-20-12, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-20-12, 09:31 AM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Phew... I much prefer blu ray simply because if the superior sound and PQ which pits me square in the rental/buy market segment. If that format bites the dust, And streaming doesn't significantly improve in quality, I will majorly bummed.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-20-12, 04:20 PM
Shackster

Steve

27dnast I totally agree that streaming quality better improve, I too love the superior sound and PQ. There's nothing like having TrueHD light up on your receiver when you pop in a Blu-Ray.

Streaming services are great for kids movies and anything the wife pics out (lol) but I'm not ready to part with my physical collection.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-20-12, 06:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
I've never been a fan of streaming movies. Inferior picture and audio quality when compared to blu ray. I enjoy sifting through the movies and actually walking out with my selection. Every Tuesday that a good movie comes out I race to the store to add to my collection.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-20-12, 09:50 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
JBRAX,

I agree. Kind of reminds me of the days when I would travel to my favorite record store outside of DC - Vinyl Ink - and flip through bins upon bins of LPs, EPs, and 7"s... Checking out the cover art, pulling the records from their sleeves to judge their condition or read what the artist may have had inscribed on the inner portion of the vinyl. Just smelling the vinyl! Ahhh, I digress.

I would imagine that Blu-ray will slowly go away from brick and motar shelves.... And be available via online or redbox type deals. Eventually it will disappear. Maybe not, could be wrong.

But, I hear you guys and agree.... The power of the physical disc is just that much better at this point... As in Waaaaaaaaay better. Especially for all of us that have built these expensive/elaborate systems.

Here's to hoping that it hangs on for a while longer!

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 08-21-12 at 12:39 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-21-12, 12:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
27dnast wrote:
JBRAX,

I agree. Kind of reminds me of the days when I would travel to my favorite record store outside of DC - Vinyl Ink - and flip through bins upon bins of LPs, EPs, and 7"s... Checking out the cover art, pulling the records from their sleeves to judge their condition or read what the artist may have had inscribed on the inner portion of the vinyl. Just smelling the vinyl! Ahhh, I digress.

I would imagine that Blu-ray will slowly go away from brick and motar shelves.... And available via online or redbox type deals. Eventually it will disappear. Maybe not, could be wrong.

But, I hear you guys and agree.... The power of the physical disc is just that much better at this point... As in Waaaaaaaaay better. Especially for all of us that have built these expensive/elaborate systems.

Here's to hoping that it hangs on for a while longer!
It's only a matter of time before we're force fed some new format but I to hope it hangs on for awhile. I've made a fairly large investment into Blu-Ray as I'm now at around 275 movies. I always find myself saying "it can't get much better can it?". The answer is always yes though.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-21-12, 12:37 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: DVD and Blu-ray still preferred over streaming for movies

275? Wow.

Well, if there's a change, let's hope it comes in a form of increased quality with backwards compatibility, rather than some compressed format. Right?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-21-12, 02:00 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
That would be nice but I do envision Blu-Ray remaining for some time. I would guess the majority is still using DVD. My local video store still rents 4 to 1 telling me most have yet to upgrade. I'd be willing to bet many of those still renting DVD's even have upgraded to HDTV. I think most of us are ahead of the curve when compared to the general public in regards to home theater technology upgrades.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-21-12, 05:58 PM
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Re: DVD and Blu-ray still preferred over streaming for movies

You want to know something crazy? We have no rental stores left in our town... Blockbuster and Hollywood shuttered all of their stores about a year and a half ago. They are all gone.

I live in a large suburb of Wash. DC. My only access to renting are blockbuster and red box kiosks at local service stores... or buying at a BM store.

Honestly, my m.o. has been to buy from amazon or half.com used... watch and then either (1) keep or (2) resell.

Your comment about HDTV owners might be correct... I'd go a step further and say that most who buy HDTV's don't even understand how to hook them up correctly to receive a HD signal... bottom line: the average joe just doesn't care to care! They care about other things!
post #10 of 13 Old 08-21-12, 06:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Luckily we still have video stores. I tend to blind buy the well reviewed and rent the lesser knowns. The problem is finding the lesser knowns in Blu-Ray as I refuse to watch DVD's. We have lost 2 Blockbusters in my area in the last 6 months and only 2 remain. We also have Family Video's here in my town and they seem to do pretty good business. As far as purchasing I also use Amazon and on occasion Best Buy.