Analyzing Amazonís Best Buy - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 09-07-12, 08:48 PM
Inactive
Andy

Re: Analyzing Amazonís Best Buy

Since July of this year, Amazon has begun collecting sales tax in Texas. This is a hit for me of over 8 percent, so I routinely check other places now after checking the Amazon price.

I've had some curious results, including getting the hard-to-find CD of Art Blakey's only album on the Impulse label (my favorite Art Blakey album) at - of all places - walmart.com and using in-store pickup. This is handy, as it allows you to pick it up at your convenience. There's still sales tax, but Amazon didn't offer this item directly, and their affiliates had it at a higher price than Wal-Mart did. That pickup is convenient for me, as I do most of my grocery shopping there anyway.

If online vendors keep knuckling under to the states regarding sales tax, it could open up new opportunities for unexpected players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 09-08-12, 05:46 AM
Elite Shackster

I am also from Texas and I do search around but often times Amazon has the lower price even with sales tax and shipping. The other day, I had to buy a case for my ipad2. The folks at the apple store recommended for me to buy an otterbox. I went to best buy and they had it for $99. Amazon had it for $49. This is half off! For both places you have to pay sales tax. Even with shipping costs (less then $10), Amazon still had the better deal. So, as long as Amazon can keep prices low, even with sales tax, it is a win win for them and the end user.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-08-12, 12:05 PM
Inactive
Andy

Online shopping is getting more complicated for Texans now. I recently found out that Logitech is discontinuing the Squeezebox product line, so I decided to buy myself a spare Touch. Several places, including Amazon, had them for $240. One of those was Tiger Direct, and I decided to try them. I began my order placement, entering my name, address, etc., but not the credit card info. At this point, the form told me my sales tax was zero. Then it asked for my credit card info. I entered that, and then got a message saying "Your shipping options have changed. Please review them before placing your order." So I looked at the shipping options at the top of the page, and there were indeed new options that weren't there originally. Then I happened to glance at the bottom of the page and saw they had added sales tax, around 20 bucks. They didn't tell me about that. I thought it was a sneaky way to do business, so I backed out of the deal.

I couldn't get the $240 price without tax, but I did find a place that sold them for $250 without tax, so I still saved myself $10 over the $240 + $20 tax price.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-08-12, 12:14 PM
Elite Shackster

TC

My System

Buying BB would be a big mistake for Amazon. They only have an advantage now because they can charge less than BB on most items. If they buy BB they would have to charge or meet the same price they charge online at the B and M store and if they don't no one that knows better would by from the store. Although not many people no better.....

Last edited by tcarcio; 09-08-12 at 12:20 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-09-12, 05:30 PM
Senior Shackster
alpha

I read today that Amazon is now collecting sales tax for PA orders as well...

Seems it may only be a matter of time before more states demand the same from Amazon.... and eventually online retail in general.. so the "no sales tax" advantage may soon disappear.
post #16 of 16 Old 09-09-12, 06:38 PM
Senior Shackster
informel

My System

The government cannot continue to loose money like that, so I bet that soon you will have to pay tax everywhere.

As far as brick and mortar goes, I think most of them will vanish. This is a normal thing.
When automobile became popular, I bet a lot of peoples who use to make shoe horse went out of business, there is nothing you can do.

I think the very specialize places who sell expensives equipment will remain, if you are to spend over 20K, you will want to listen to it.