Analyzing Amazonís Best Buy - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-02-12, 08:47 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Analyzing Amazonís Best Buy

In my opinion, it would be in Amazon's best interest not to buy Best Buy. Too much overhead.

To compete online, they are going off low cost. With buildings, employees, and all the other things that brick-and-mortar have to pay, it is not worth it.

Best to stay online and compete that way. Besides, they are doing very well as it is the way they are functioning.
post #3 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 04:28 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

personally i think online everything kinda stinks.it is doing away with being able to go in look and listen.which i personally think listening to equipment.is very important before a purchase.
post #4 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 04:32 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
pharoah wrote: View Post
personally i think online everything kinda stinks.it is doing away with being able to go in look and listen.which i personally think listening to equipment.is very important before a purchase.
I agree with you but I believe this is only true for the "true" audiophile which is not Amazon's target market. The vast majority of folks on amazon when looking for items are looking for low cost with good reviews for items. They will be content with sub performance instead of a "true" audiophile who wants superb sound.. For them, they want to touch and feel and hear the audio but for Joe six pack down the street, he just wants something that sounds good with low cost.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 07:39 PM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

I am Prime buyer at Amazon... no tax and free shipping... and generally lower than anyone else with their pricing. However, I don't buy a lot of super big ticket items from them... it is mostly small ticket stuff.

My recent buys have been as follows:
All in the last 30 days... I am a regular for all kinds of things. I also buy most of my Blu-rays there.

The biggest items in the last few months have been...
They got just about everything you can imagine and most everything I can get in my hands within two days... they even deliver on Saturday with their Prime membership.

I would NOT want them to buy Best Buy, because then they would have to charge me tax because they have a store in my state.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #6 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 08:24 PM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

I think these Best Buy threads are interesting. I am a bit biased as I live near their HQ (albeit in a nearby state) but I do think Amazon has had a bit of an unfair advantage over the yellow and black. I also think it would be a bit of genius for Amazon to acquire their own showrooms.

Why? Because BB should be ripe for the picking with the recent downturn in sales. There is also quite a movement going on with regard to states enforcing the collection of sales taxes in a time when state and local budgets are bone dry. Amazon may just be forced to collect sales taxes anyway and this would definitely streamline that effort being able to piggy back off of BB's history and system of collecting and remitting sales taxes.

How would this benefit the consumer? Amazon's ability to completely reshape a combined online and brick and mortar experience. Up until this point most traditional B&M's have went online searching for elusive profits only to scavenge their own pockets. Amazon would be taking their online presence to the B&M experience!! There is an opportunity here to do some really cool things like use the incredible amount of intelligence they have on the consumer and our shopping habits to customize regional stores and be sure they carry items that they already know people want immediate access to.

Amazon may also be able to carry a wider array of products than BB is carrying today. There will always be some issues with regional territories and dealers but my guess is that with most of the mid-fi showrooms dark Amazon could flex their muscle a bit and be able to carry a much more interesting array of products to satisfy the low end through to the high end.

It would be very interesting and at the same time continue to provide much needed jobs.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 08:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Thanks for the info Sonnie.

With the advantage of being a Prime buyer, Amazon does have it's advantages. Also, with prime, customers get streaming options as well.

I don't think anybody wants Amazon to buy Best Buy. It just wouldn't help them in the end.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-04-12, 08:31 PM
Elite Shackster

J&D,

From what I can tell from the latest news, looks like Best Buy may go private if Shultz gets his way then I doubt Amazon or anybody else would buy it.

There are pro and cons for having a store for Amazon.. For most people I think the saving of tax is the main reason they want Amazon to stay away from Best Buy. Also, with the overhead of building rent/taxes, payroll and utility costs for the building , I don't think Amazon will want to pay that much overhead.

It is an interesting concept for sure. We will have to wait and see what happens.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-07-12, 06:13 PM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

The quality/knowledge of the sales staff would have to go up quite a bit, I would think. I have had times when a well meaning sales person would offer to help, but have no idea where it was in the store.

Plus, Amazon prides itself on customer service, deservedly IMHO. My experience is that BB is only OK on that. Example - Around here their "order it online and pick it up at the store" is useless. The few times I tried it, I would end up spending at least as much time at the Customer Service counter as it would have taken me to find the stuff and checkout.

I, too, have been an Amazon Prime member for several years. Even when something important breaks, I sometime can wait to get it overnight for the extra $4 - less than the gas it would take to go pick it up. They recently raised the Saturday overnight to $8.

I see it as a losing proposition for me if Amazon has retail outlets. No doubt all prices would increase.

Hug your pet today!
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-12, 06:33 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

I hope they don't buy Best Buy.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread