OPPO Unveils New Improved Universal Blu-ray Players: BDP-103 and BDP-105 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 09-21-12, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Steve Mechelke -mech

My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-21-12, 04:38 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: OPPO Unveils New Improved Universal Blu-ray Players: BDP-103 and BDP-105

I'm not so computer savy...I have read that USB ports are going to 3.0 which provides much faster data transfer speeds. Don't know if the "USB Audio 2.0 standard" above uses this new technology. If not, I'm surprised they would not incorporate it. Seems like streaming from a USB port could be much faster. Any thoughts if this would be a real benefit?
post #3 of 14 Old 09-21-12, 08:23 PM
Shackster

My System

The 103 looks like a winner for my budget. Assuming its better than the 93????
post #4 of 14 Old 09-21-12, 11:21 PM
Shackster

RC Ward

what are the differences from the 93 that i have? Is it really worth an upgrade or just a great deal for someone that doesn't have either one.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-21-12, 11:55 PM
Banned!
Tommaso

Wow... looks like a match made in heaven, you're right best BR+Best Streaming! But besides streaming Vudu, Netflix etc I also would love to stream UK, French and Italian TV content (I live in Japan). Do you know if the new Oppo firmware is also Slingbox certified/compatible? It would be AMAZING if it were. That I know of only WD Live TV and TV Hub are Slingbox compliant.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-23-12, 10:17 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
I'm not so computer savy...I have read that USB ports are going to 3.0 which provides much faster data transfer speeds. Don't know if the "USB Audio 2.0 standard" above uses this new technology. If not, I'm surprised they would not incorporate it. Seems like streaming from a USB port could be much faster. Any thoughts if this would be a real benefit?
The benefits are significant. USB 3.0 is not an incremental update from 2.0, it's an order of magnitude faster. The spec's call for up to 10x the transfer rate, but in the real world I wouldn't count on that much of an improvement. It should be no less than 5x faster though. For audio files -- which tend to be huge -- that will be substantial.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #7 of 14 Old 10-02-12, 08:42 AM
Senior Shackster
Mike

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
Quote:
theJman wrote: View Post
The benefits are significant. USB 3.0 is not an incremental update from 2.0, it's an order of magnitude faster. The spec's call for up to 10x the transfer rate, but in the real world I wouldn't count on that much of an improvement. It should be no less than 5x faster though. For audio files -- which tend to be huge -- that will be substantial.
What they are referring to is USB Audio 2.0 standard for streaming, this basically has nothing to do with the plug type (USB 1.1, 2.0, 3.0) it is a standard set for streaming audio only from another device like a cell phone or memory stick using the USB interface. (it has changed slightly with the plug type but it is still doing the same thing)

Yes USB 3.0 is much faster for transferring data but there would be no benefit to streaming audio. As long as it can be streamed fast enough to listen to it you are fine and any version of USB is way more than fast enough for that. Remember you are not transferring the files to the device for playback, they are being streamed and played at the same time.

Last edited by typ44q; 10-02-12 at 08:49 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-08-12, 08:36 PM
Shackster
Call me Arg

Any chance audio lovers will be able to 'program' their choice of tracks to play back off a disc? You know what I mean, just like a 1984 CD player could, except for all disc formats including bluray audio discs. Or at least for CD!
post #9 of 14 Old 10-14-12, 11:46 PM
Shackster
Call me Arg

Quote:
tnargs wrote: View Post
Any chance audio lovers will be able to 'program' their choice of tracks to play back off a disc? You know what I mean, just like a 1984 CD player could, except for all disc formats including bluray audio discs. Or at least for CD!
I asked Oppo and they said 'No'.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-09-14, 05:55 PM
Shackster
Call me Arg

Quote:
tnargs wrote: View Post
I asked Oppo and they said 'No'.
Quoting myself above

Guess what? I bought a 105 recently and promptly discovered it *has* the ability to program music playback!

Even though Oppo told me in 2012 that they had no plans to implement program playback in the 105, they have obviously gone ahead and done it!

I checked with a friend who has a 95, with latest firmware, and it does not have this feature.

Just thought you might like to know, if you don't have one yet.