The Hobbit at 48 fps: Film, It Ainít - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 26 Old 12-18-12, 06:38 AM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System
Re: The Hobbit at 48 fps: Film, It Ainít

Well, I have to say I came away from The Hobbit happy. Without getting into detail, I really enjoyed the movie. I felt that there were a few scenes that could have been shorter, ideally this probably should have been split into 2 movies instead of 3, but overall I think we all really enjoyed it.

As for the HFR presentation... honestly I couldn't tell a huge difference. It may be because we haven't seen a 3D movie in a long time, they just aren't our thing. I wear glasses to the movies, and I hate having to wear glasses over my glasses. It did look good, and there was definitely no 120Hz-like soap opera effect, but I guess I was expecting perfect smoothness and was left a little disappointed on that front. I could still see some ghosting in a lot of movement at certain speeds. Slower movement was great, and the fast action content never bothered me, but I did notice it a fair amount somewhere in between. The 3D itself was very well done, and didn't give me the usual feeling that everything fits into one of 3 layers on screen. It was pretty dynamic and effective.

The Dolby Atmos was what I was most looking forward to, and while I can't say it blew me away, I think it was effective. I meant to pay more attention, but found myself wrapped up in the movie and I forgot most of the time. When I did try to listen critically, it seemed to help blend transitioning sounds, or to add new dimensions to effects coming from places other than front and centre. There was an Atmos trailer before the film began, which was a pretty good showcase of its ability. We were near the back of the theatre, and it may have been even better a little further up.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable presentation and I'm sure I'll see the others this way as well. I would really like to see a 2D film that uses HFR and Atmos, since 3D still hasn't won me over, but I don't think that's in the cards in the near future.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 12-18-12, 07:04 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

The Hobbit is a trilogy??? Is that what I got from this???
post #13 of 26 Old 12-18-12, 09:00 AM
Elite Shackster

Yes. To make more $$$, they decided to make it a 3 parter.

The movie in theaters now covers the first 7 chapters..

(the $$$ part is my opinion.. )
post #14 of 26 Old 12-18-12, 09:04 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
Yes. To make more $$$, they decided to make it a 3 parter.

The movie in theaters now covers the first 7 chapters..

(the $$$ part is my opinion.. )
I am hoping it is because they really want to tell the story in depth and stay true to the book, but you are most likely right....
post #15 of 26 Old 12-18-12, 09:13 AM
Elite Shackster

Considering how much $$$ LOTR made, to me it makes sense to break "The Hobbit" into 3 parts.

lol
post #16 of 26 Old 12-19-12, 03:04 AM
Shackster

Hello,
Just thought I'd jump on the invatation given in the notes at the top of the page to chime in. not something I'm inclined to do but this is a subject I just happen to know a little about. although it's been, wow six and a half years sense retirement, for 30yrs I earned my living behind the camera in L.A. Only after retierment did I find time to persue any kind of hobbies, like my hometheater, which lead me here. Again, thank you Sonnie for REW. Working in the "industry" robs you of anykinda life, 65-80 hr work weeks. OK enough of that.
Was wondering what was being said about the new fangaled tec-no-alogy. you see there's alot more to film than meets the eye, pun intinded. Video cameras, oh sorry digital cameras are not something any qualified cinamatographer, by the way that's who shoots a motion picture, not the director, he's the guy who makes sure the actors spit out there lines right, would chose to use. There is a picture of an indavidual, not a 2nd assistant cameraman, holding a slate at the top of this post, if you notice there is a name after DP he is the guy who shot the hobbit.there is so much that the average Joe dosen't know about what it takes to make a major MP and I don't say that as a put down. but that is what the romance is all about. anyway's this is probably too snarky to get posted any how but I'll hit post and see what happens
post #17 of 26 Old 12-19-12, 01:29 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Thanks JBSAUNDERS, its always interesting to get input from someone with experience behind the scenes, whether that's behind a camera, behind a computer designing circuit boards, or behind a CAD machine turning out precision parts.

I can't say if digital is a step forward or backward in quality, or "feel" but I do think it makes things faster and easier so it is probably here to stay. Who knows, maybe there really will be a backlash against it and the film purists will prevail! I do have to say that I enjoy the look of proper film, and gravitate towards plasma displays that show it off better at home than any of the LCDs I've seen, which I really don't like.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #18 of 26 Old 12-20-12, 03:51 PM
Shackster

Owen
yes if I was to buy new it would be a plasma, although I think I remenber somewhere that they are getting harder to find. That's new, as for me I still prefer a good old CRT, takes a little more love'n to get it right, but short of a reel to reel film projector, it dose the best job. they last 10 times what a digital dose and you can find them on craigslist for next to nothing. with a little knowhow and a little box here and there, checkout http://www.moomecard.com/ You will not be abel to do 3D but I watch blue ray in 1080 on what I believe to be the best RPTV ever made, Mitsubishi ws-73909. beats the pioneer because of it's size and has as good as a service menu as a $35000 marquee 9500lc. just my opinon though
post #19 of 26 Old 12-23-12, 01:59 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

When talkies were debuted there was backlash, same stuck in the past attitude displayed when color was introduced.
Qualified cinamatographers will get over it soon enough and in a few short years 24fps film will just be part of movie history.
Saving money on the price of film and managing the reels for distribution has as much to do with the frame rate as anything else. It was the minimum frame rate they could get away with.
Now that technology can provide something better and cheaper film is dead.
post #20 of 26 Old 12-28-12, 06:27 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

So i watched the Hobbit in 3D the other day at the theater. I don't know what all the commotion was about in the papers and reviews. It was not nauseating or any such thing. Other than a few scenes that panned a little awkward I found it rather fine to watch. I was quite pleased with the film. Maybe more than I should have been do to such a calamity that was made over it. Definitely worth a watch. If your hesitant don't be.