The Hobbit at 48 fps: Film, It Ainít - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 26 Old 12-29-12, 07:50 AM
Elite Shackster
Quenten

My System
Re: The Hobbit at 48 fps: Film, It Ainít

Well, I called the local AMC theater here in Tallahassee to ask about the offering. Like I figured, no IMAX 3-D HFR available. They do have IMAX 3D, and HFR 3D, but not both. Guess we don't watch enough movies to warrant putting in new equipment. Boy that's a shame, I would have gone to see this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 Old 12-29-12, 02:09 PM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

If you go to the theater to see other movies and you liked the LOTR movies I do not understand why you would pass on this one.
post #23 of 26 Old 01-04-13, 02:50 PM

My System
Send a message via MSN to Kingrazor

I went to a standard theater and I don't know how their stuff was setup, but I didn't notice any difference with the increased frame rate.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-07-13, 09:10 AM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System

Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
It makes one wonder just how much effort movie plexes put in to setting up their theater. I wonder if they would even tell us if we asked? Or do they just order the gear & have it installed assuming all is well.
I know my local megaplex here in Philly actually showed me the schedule as well as contact info for folks that do their calibration.

Granted, I told them it was for a research paper.
post #25 of 26 Old 01-07-13, 11:57 AM
Shackster

I saw the movie a few weeks ago, in 48fps at the AMC in San Francisco, also with the Dolby Atmos, and I have to agree with the original poster. For a 3D movie especially the image is razor sharp, but somehow for a movie like this which is set in a Middle Earth fantasy world, it doesn't quite work, everything looks just too perfect.

About the sound, I have seen a demo of Dolby Atmos at the Dolby Labs in SF a couple of months ago, and it was pretty stunning (very interesting technology and wonderful if you are a sound designer or re-remixing engineer but that is yet another story). By contrast, I thought the sound was a bit underwhelming -- not that there is anything wrong or distracting, just had expected a bit more.

About the story, I am a big LOTR fan and have the entire series on DVD. Great story, magnificent music, etc. Still, I thought that the movie was a bit too drawn out, the editing was too slow. After nearly 3 hours, and then an open ending?! I later found out there's supposed to be a second and even a third part? Frankly that seems a bit too much for me.

Still, it is very enjoyable. The high frame rate just doens't quite work for this type of movie. Apparently Avatar II is being shot at 60fps or 48fps as well, possibly it will work better there.

Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241
post #26 of 26 Old 01-07-13, 12:07 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mpompey wrote: View Post
I know my local megaplex here in Philly actually showed me the schedule as well as contact info for folks that do their calibration.

Granted, I told them it was for a research paper.
Don't know how is the projector is set up in any special way, but Dolby Atmos -- if available -- is based on the principle of audio 'all around' you, so not just 5 or 7 surround plus LFE but a theoretically indefinite number of speakers, all of which are 'full range' so they can reproduce the full frequence range.

When the movie is being mixed at the dubbing stage, after the 'regular' 7.1 Pro Tools session there is bolted on another 'box' if you will with the Atmos technology, giving 128 'object tracks' (minus a few which are reserved for atmospheric tracks). In theory you can place a 'sound' object (eg a standstorm or an exploding car) anywhere you wish in that 3D environment and make it move smoothly all around the room, without losing fidelity. As the sound moves you can process it with special effects, equalization, etc, all fully automated. The point of all this is that you don't have any loss of fidelity as, eg a monster moves from the left right over you, making big stomping noises. Normally in 5.1 there's be a loss in loss end especially. The subs are placed somewhere statically and low end sound supposedly isn't directional but that doesn't always work. By having the sound 3D plus full range speakers supposedly that bridges the gap.

The Atmos movie is then wrapped in a digital package to the theater where it will play back, taking into consideration the theater's capabilities (ie the system will detect whether the theater is fully Atmos capable or just 5.1 or 7.1 surround; and it will also cleverly compensate for one or two blown speakers which tends to happen from time to time). So aside from the "usual" calibration of picture and sound from the projectionist booth at the prescribed levels there is nothing special they have to do to accomodate Atmos, which is pretty clever and also avoids mistakes.

The Atmos technology is in beta testing to be officially released sometime this year. Brave was the first movie officially released in Atmos format, there's a whole bunch of them now.

Peter Roos
www.summeroflovemusic.com
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm2039241