Immersive beyond-surround cinema-sound with Dolby Atmos - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 04:41 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Immersive beyond-surround cinema-sound with Dolby Atmos

It looks like they are working on licensing for Home theater after all.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...urround-sound/

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 11:24 PM
Shackster
Demetrius

My System

The cost to implement it is gonna be pretty high. Just a few decent speakers now cost thousands. You would have to be pretty super hardcore to try and install it for residental use.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-22-13, 11:37 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

I wonder if you could use the speakers out of a Bose 901.... I am not a fan of the Bose 901 but it might be a inexpensive way to make the setup. I think when you start going with that many speakers you are not going to be using as expensive of a speaker. That is why I thought that a 4x8 sheet with speakers built in would be doable. There was a company that was making speakers out of sheets (I can't remember what the sheets were made of though).

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #14 of 17 Old 02-22-13, 01:16 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
pmcneil wrote: View Post
I haven't got a clue what is being offered here.
Object-based audio. Each sound effect, music cue, piece of dialogue, etc, is considered an "object". The recording engineer mixes the sound asthough he is in a virtual dome, placing objects where ever he wants (with no concern for speaker locations or number of channels). Each object is tagged with meta-data that describes it's location, size, volume level, movement (panning), etc. The playback system places each object at its intended location, using the nearest speaker (or combination of speakers) to create the accurate image.

Basically, it is the begining of the end of channel-based audio, with no need for upmixing or downmixing. Been in movie theatres since last June; been discussing it on this forum since last May. Somewhat old news.

First movie mixed/shown in Atmos was the Disney/Pixar film 'Brave'. Current movie in Atmos is 'Good Day to Die Hard'. There were a half-dozen films inbetween mixed in Atmos, with 3 more due out next month (Danny Boyle's 'Trance', Dreamworks Animation's 'The Croods', and 'G. I. Joe: Retaliation'). Two more coming in April, another two Atmos mixes in May ('Iron Man 3' and 'Star Trek Into Darkness').

For home playback, it will mean you can use as many or as few speakers as you want. The system will use however many speakers you have do the best job it can to render the soundtrack. Think of it as vector-based graphics, to the extent that it doesn't care how many pixels your monitor has (as opposed to raster-based graphics, which have to be scaled to the number of pixels in your display).

Sanjay
post #15 of 17 Old 02-22-13, 08:54 PM
Shackster

My System

i really really really want 62.2 in my home theater!

klaatu barada nik*cough*
post #16 of 17 Old 03-04-13, 09:16 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

62.2...hmm

Ok I'm guess you still have a full size LFC so you're down to 59. The rest will probably be on panels with 8 speakers each that will go on the side, ceiling and rear walls.

Wait....Panels with a whole bunch of small speakers on them. Oh hey, Bose 901s will be coming back as multi dimensional surrounds.

Coool.....I will have to find my Frank Zappa LPs
post #17 of 17 Old 03-04-13, 01:41 PM
Elite Shackster

OJ

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
Practically this would be very challenging to set up in a home theater. I could see some sort of adaptation of this by adding two overhead channels to the mix giving 9.1 true discreet channels but anything more would be a challenge given the space constraints we have in most of our homes.
I agree, Tony. The true object-based "steering" that Atmos handles in the theatre could be dumbed down a bit for home use probably. Maybe used with a pair of overhead speakers... I think it could be pretty effectively done by integrating with the surround and rear-surround channels in smaller home theatre sized rooms.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY SDX10 Sub
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter