Immersive beyond-surround cinema-sound with Dolby Atmos - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 02-19-13, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Keith Lock

Immersive beyond-surround cinema-sound with Dolby Atmos

To mimic real life sound in the cinema experience, Dolby Atmos technology delivers overhead and surround sounds in crystal clarity. Now film creators can provide sound to audiences exactly how intended. This new technology allows the use of dynamic effects by moving sound throughout the theater, reproducing an audio experience that is lifelike and natural. Up to 64 speakers are employed to really make the sound hit your eardrums in a realistic way.

Technical Design

Building the movie soundtrack is done through a unique layered approach, with static ambient sounds mixed using a standard channel-based approach covering the greater portion of the base layer. Dynamic sound elements are then layered on top which can be moved around to attach to the onscreen images. The behaviors (based on the director's intent) of the elements while being played back are stored as descriptive metadata, irrespective of theater configuration. Expanding towards dual-layers ensures a consistent experience in each theater, and offers much more freedom and power for film creators.

Technology Advantages

The technology has a "scaling" component to it where it can be delivered uniquely based on the size of the auditorium, from "a small art house theater, up into a big multiplex," said Re-recording Mixer of the Pinewood Group, Ian Tapp. Dolby Atmos gives "the illusion of there being an infinite number of channels throughout the hemisphere, all the way around you and all above your head," said Ioan Allen, Senior Vice President of Dolby. To keep the cinema business driving it is important to provide an experience not available in the home and Allen feels that with Dolby Atmos they "really achieved that."

Comparisons

In terms of overhead sound, Dolby Atmos provides "true" overhead lifelike sound that is perfectly coordinated with the action onscreen. 5.1 and Dolby Surround 7.1 technologies create and effect in center, but provide more of a "Phantom" sound overhead and with less distinctions compared to what Atmos delivers.

With some sharpness and clarity loss in the inferior sound technologies, Dolby Atmos audio is more consistent and powerful, and even while sounds are moving throughout the theater, tonal quality is maintained. In an effort to maintain purity of sound, indivual speakers can be assigned unique sound elements, a feature largely lacking in 5.1 and 7.1, with their limited movement effect.

Perhaps most importantly, there is a consistent sound experience regardless of theater and regardless of the seat in the theater that is chosen to experience the film.

Availability

Only select movies at select theaters are leveraging this technology at the present time. More theaters are becoming equipped as popularity spikes. For example, only 3 SilverCity locations in Canada currently employ this enhanced sound technology, with many more spread across the United States.

Movies taking advantage of this technology have been surfacing since Summer of 2012 with the Disney and Pixar film Brave, and others in 2012 including Life of Pi, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, as well as The Last Tycoon in late December.

In 2013 we have seen Mama, and Race 2, and more recently Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons and Bruce Willis in A Good Day to Die Hard which was released on Valentine's Day in Canada and the United States.

Other titles expected in 2013 include: Oz The Great and Powerful, Trance, The Croods, Monsters University, Gravity, and the much anticipated Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness. See all Dolby Atmos Movies past and present here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-19-13, 03:48 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System
Re: Immersive beyond-surround cinema-sound with Dolby Atmos

I wonder how long it will be before someone has this in their home (I know it is intended for theaters only)? The only way I could think of it being even somewhat affordable would be a DIY with lots of small speakers. Even then it would be expensive... But i'm sure someone will do it and eventually it will be offered for home use. I would think with that many channels you could also run smaller amps per channel.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread
post #3 of 17 Old 02-20-13, 12:13 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

I saw A Good Day to Die Hard in an Atmos theater the other night and I have to say it sounded awesome. The short "demo" of Atmos in the beginning had more tactile bass than I've felt in any other theater. If you have a supported theater near by I think it is definitely worth a trip.
post #4 of 17 Old 02-20-13, 03:48 PM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

At some point this house of cards is going to fall over and we are all going back to headphones. Probably with a IMAX level HUD on some goggles.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-20-13, 08:04 PM
Shackster
Demetrius

My System

The Cinemark Plano West in Plano,TX that I go to has their XD theater with Atmos. Gonna go check it out tomorrow by watching Die Hard.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-20-13, 11:18 PM
Banned!

My System

I haven't got a clue what is being offered here.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 02:10 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

The list of supported theaters is linked in the above article but in case you've missed it:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professio....html#Theatres
post #8 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 02:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Practically this would be very challenging to set up in a home theater. I could see some sort of adaptation of this by adding two overhead channels to the mix giving 9.1 true discreet channels but anything more would be a challenge given the space constraints we have in most of our homes.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #9 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 04:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Can you imagine what the WAF would be like if you said "I'm putting 16 speakers on the ceiling dear"!!

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

www.dogboardingsa.com
post #10 of 17 Old 02-21-13, 04:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

My System

Quote:
Prof. wrote: View Post
Can you imagine what the WAF would be like if you said "I'm putting 16 speakers on the ceiling dear"!!
I think the way to do it would be if someone came out with 4x8 sheets that were speakers... Maybe a panel could have 10 or more speakers on it. Then you just load the room up with acoustic treatments and speaker panels.

tia,
Ron

My Home Theater
Yamaha CX-A5100, (3) JBL 2360A/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (2 pr) JBL 8340As, (2 pr) JBL 8320s, PS3, XBox One, (2) Intel NUCs, Redmere HDMI cables, Monster Signature HTPS7000, (2) Furman Power Conditioners, (2) DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diag) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Panamorph UH-480 lens, (2) Crest Audio 2208, Yamaha XM-4080 & P7000s, (2) MiniDSP DDRC-88M, Pioneer BDP-80DF
My Go Big or Go Home Theater Construction Thread