Some 5 million people in the US are going the 'Zero TV' route - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 22 Old 03-14-13, 10:52 PM
Elite Shackster

My System
Re: Some 5 million people in the US are going the 'Zero TV' route

Just recently jumped the Cable Company, mostly due to work furlough. I have plenty of movies (hardmedia). I have netflix, vudu, crackle on the PS3 and can always pick up movies at one of the neighborhood Redboxes for $1.35. Miss root tv for baseball though. Anyone have any experience with MLBTV on PS3?

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 03-14-13, 11:06 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

We cut the cord just a few months ago. All of our children have in the last year. Our cable bill had started at $70 with promotions, over the years with regular rates and add-ons was close to $200. Now with Amazon Prime (already had it, but okay, $6 per month), Hulu+/Netflix streaming with one disc per month, $16, and for a few must-have-it-now shows like Breaking Bad, we will pay for the current season on Google Watch (cost in a year, less than a month of cable) the total is around $30 per month. Got a $40 indoor antenna, gives us great reception on a dozen local channels. Episodes of premium series like Dexter come a year later on disk via Netflix. We see what we really want to, and watch a lot less of that which we really didn't care for just because it was on.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-14-13, 11:10 PM
Senior Shackster

I went without cable for a while relying on NETFLIX DVD rentals/streaming and DVD/blu-ray movies (meaning my own or newly purchased) but what I was really missing was sports. So, I gave in and got what is known in my area as BASIC cable. So, I get my HD sports but I don't even have a cable box. It's $18.99 a month and I get a bunch of channels in standard def as well as HD and I'm satisfied with that. Outside of sports I don't watch much broadcast TV at all. Occasionally I'll watch the news before work but I mostly stream via NETFLIX. I have always been astounded at the prices cable companies get away with charging (beyond super basic like I have) but I'm more amazed that a lot of people still pay those prices. Friends of mine tell me what their cable bill is and I nearly pass out. Then they tell me they don't ever watch even a quarter of what they're paying for. I'm not entirely sure which is worse. The amount charged or actually paying it.
post #14 of 22 Old 03-14-13, 11:43 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
I went without cable for a while relying on NETFLIX DVD rentals/streaming and DVD/blu-ray movies (meaning my own or newly purchased) but what I was really missing was sports. So, I gave in and got what is known in my area as BASIC cable. So, I get my HD sports but I don't even have a cable box. It's $18.99 a month and I get a bunch of channels in standard def as well as HD and I'm satisfied with that. Outside of sports I don't watch much broadcast TV at all. Occasionally I'll watch the news before work but I mostly stream via NETFLIX. I have always been astounded at the prices cable companies get away with charging (beyond super basic like I have) but I'm more amazed that a lot of people still pay those prices. Friends of mine tell me what their cable bill is and I nearly pass out. Then they tell me they don't ever watch even a quarter of what they're paying for. I'm not entirely sure which is worse. The amount charged or actually paying it.
Sounds like your super lucky. HD sports in a basic cable package for $19!!!!!!!! Can you run that cable on a splicer over to my place Pleeeeeeeeeeeease

Home Theater System Denon AVR4520CI, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Polk CSi A6 Center, Polk RTi A9 Front, Polk RTi A7 Front Wide, Polk RTi A1 Front Height, Polk FXi A6 Side, Polk RTi A3 Rear, SVS PB12-NSD x2 Front, SVS PC12-NSD x2 Rear, Panasonic PT-AE7000U, Visual Apex CineWhite 100" Screen, PS4, Dish Hopper, Darbee Darblet DVP 5000.My Home Theater Build http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ter-build.html
post #15 of 22 Old 03-15-13, 04:44 AM
Elite Shackster

My System
Quote:
phillihp23 wrote: View Post
Just recently jumped the Cable Company, mostly due to work furlough. I have plenty of movies (hardmedia). I have netflix, vudu, crackle on the PS3 and can always pick up movies at one of the neighborhood Redboxes for $1.35. Miss root tv for baseball though. Anyone have any experience with MLBTV on PS3?
I believe Apple TV has the MLBTV maybe something to look into
post #16 of 22 Old 03-15-13, 11:00 AM
macfan

Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
I do love my Directv and even though I pay a fortune for it I won't be giving it up anytime soon. The reason for my post though is that I feel the same way about people's cell phone bills when I hear about them. I gave up a contract cell phone two years ago and went with Tracfone. For $99 total a year I get a new phone, microphone/ear buds, car charger, case, and enough minutes to last me a full year and then some. It does everything the major carrier cell phones do and the coverage is far better than I was getting. I have no idea why people pay what they do for their cell phone. The whole TV/cell phone thing has to do with what is a priority in your life. When I was growing up getting a driver's license was the thing to die for. New cars could be had for $1,995 and good used ones for a couple hundred dollars. Now with some cars costing what I paid for my condo and with gas going from the 18 a gallon I remember to nearly $4 a gallon kids couldn't care less about a driver's license, getting an iPhone is the thing to die for. I realize I am dating myself but my point is people's priorities change depending on their circumstances. If I were a young man I would cut the TV cord and be done with it. I am not young anymore and have had a heart attack and cancer. It is worth it now for me to be able to just sit in my Home Theater recliner, push buttons on my remote, and watch my Directv. Last point, let me know when streaming will give me the same picture and sound quality as Directv or Blu Ray. When 4K gets going full tilt I want to seem them stream a 4K movie.

Last edited by macfan; 03-15-13 at 11:09 AM.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-15-13, 11:09 AM
Elite Shackster

My System

Quote:
JQueen wrote: View Post
I believe Apple TV has the MLBTV maybe something to look into
But that would cost me the purchase of Apple TV device on top of the subscription to MLBTV. What free services come with an Apple TV that a PS3 (which I already have) can't do?

post #18 of 22 Old 03-16-13, 04:09 AM
Senior Shackster
Bud

My System

I would love to get rid of my cable bill but dang it I want my sports. Mainly to watch my twins and Vikings and sometimes college wrestling. I may have only watched 3 baseball games last year but I want to be able to watch them. I have a problem
post #19 of 22 Old 03-16-13, 05:53 PM

My System

It is going to be a viscous cycle before too long. With less and less folks having cable and satellite programming, they'll have to raise prices on the ones that are left subscribing. As more folks drop off because of the cost the prices will just get higher and higher.

I've had a full-blown wired network in my home for about 10 years now that I mainly used for HTPC. I've upgraded disc players and such and they came with streaming apps. I dropped to the lowest Dish package last year and use NetFlix and Hulu Plus along with an OTA antenna. The rest of the Showtime/HBO stuff I can get when it is available through NetFlix. I weighed the cost of a TiVo vs. just keeping the Dish hardware and it is about even. I get some basic programming and random bonus channels in HD every month for $26 a month, which is about double the cost of a TiVo subscription. It still costs over $40 a month for TV plus the $54 for the internet.

Only thing I see coming is that ISPs will start jacking up their prices and decreasing bandwidth caps when they start to see their costs go up for their network access.

There are no free lunches. They'll start finding other ways to get money from us.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-22-13, 11:00 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

So i recently cut back all my Comcast Cable service....Basically only kept cable with them because I currently get Blast Plus Internet and its cheaper to have basic digital cable service and Blast internet than it is to just have Blast Internet. Then I signed up for Dish. With Comcast it cost $190 for Blast Internet and 1 HD DVR and 1 HD box. Now I have Comcast Blast and 1 Digital Basic Box for $49 and Dish with 1 HD Hopper and 2 HD Joey for $59 for a total of $108 a month for 12 months. At which point dish will go up $30 for another 12 months for a total of $138 a month.
The way i see it I save money and get more for my money this way.

Either way its a constant juggling game trying to stay ahead of the providers dipping in your pocket.