Dolby Atmos at home - the technological hurdle is tiny - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 02:26 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: Dolby Atmos at home - the technological hurdle is tiny

Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Only if they're playing the same signal. If they're playing different signals, how can that cause cancellation nulls? And even when they're playing the same signal, it's only a problem with 2-3 speakers. Once you add more, the phasing/combing evens out (at that point you don't even need to time align them individually).
To a point yes but that still does not change that adding that many channels to a receiver is going to be near impossible given the space limitations and needing to redesign the room EQ systems.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 03:17 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
To a point yes but that still does not change that adding that many channels to a receiver is going to be near impossible given the space limitations and needing to redesign the room EQ systems.
More outputs will require more back-panel real estate, there's no way around that, short of those annoying DB-25 connectors and breakout cables:

However, with the analogue sunset being imposed on the industry, component and composite video connections are starting to get fewer and fewer with each new receiver line; same with stereo analogue audio inputs. A pre-pro that had 3 component inputs and one component output (not uncommon) can use that exact same space for 12 audio outputs. Do the same with composite connections and you're up to 16 output connections. And this is in addition to the 7.1 outputs already on the pre-pro. Now you're up to 24 channels, without any additional back-panel space than current pre-pros.

As for room correction, there's no need to redesign: same algorithm, more channels. If back in 2010, Denon could deliver 13 (11.2) independent channels of Audyssey's best room correction (XT32) for less than $2k, then by the time the consumer version of Atmos arrives (2015?) there shouldn't be a problem EQing way more channels.

Sanjay
post #13 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 03:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Agreed but that means you will need 32 channels or more of outboard amplification as the receivers cant power more channels due to current limitations of power supplies that are in them.

Home theater:
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20

post #14 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 07:27 PM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Actually, Tony, the power supply should not be any more of an issue than it is now. the total power out should be about the same, just distributed over more speakers. The space to do discrete channels, connections and amplifier stages, will mean bigger components physically.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #15 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 07:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

But we all know that already in most receivers its the power supply that is the weak link in supplying enough to the amplifiers. Most receivers cant do all channels driven as it is without a 20% (aprox) drop in its rated output without distortion. How is more channels going to be the same?

Home theater:

Living room system:

post #16 of 32 Old 04-05-13, 08:12 PM
Senior Shackster

Don't know if initial implementations will be "32 channels or more", but the desire to have more than 7 or 9 amp channels in a receiver could lead to more use digitial amplification. With the kind of efficiency they have compared to regular amps, power supplies won't be a problem.I don't know if you remember those Panasonic 7.1-channel receivers from several years ago that used to only be a couple inches tall.

Sanjay
post #17 of 32 Old 04-06-13, 07:51 AM
J&D
Senior Shackster

My System

More amp channels a problem? HT enthusiasts everywhere cannot wait to add additional channels of external amplification. High efficiency surrounds driven by relatively low wattage amps is all that should be required to achieve good results in an average room. This would not be a technology widely adopted for the masses but geared toward those with dedicated rooms and the flexibility to configure them as required. The key to success is that it has to provide a dramatic improvement over the current formats.

At a minimum it would have to be akin to going from Dolby Pro Logic to Dolby Digital and I would hope the final result would be something even more dramatic.
post #18 of 32 Old 04-06-13, 10:13 AM
Plain ole user

Tech Guru

Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
But we all know that already in most receivers its the power supply that is the weak link in supplying enough to the amplifiers. Most receivers cant do all channels driven as it is without a 20% (aprox) drop in its rated output without distortion. How is more channels going to be the same?
Assuming you have amplification in a 7 channel system that is adequate to drive the system to the level you want, and the power supply is up to the task, going to more channels to produce the same SPL does not necessarily require more power if the speaker efficiency stays the same. The power will be distributed differently and the power supply in the amp will need to deliver the same amount of current. You don't need 64 channels of 100 watts each.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #19 of 32 Old 04-08-13, 10:06 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

Well, I for one am quite excited about the prospect of Atmos in the home. There are some obstacles to overcome obviously, and it won't be for the average guy who is casual about his home theater. But for most of us who frequent this forum and take home theater seriously, I would think it will appeal at least in concept. Especially for those who have dedicated rooms. It will of course involve an extra outlay of money. I'm sure some of us will come up with a way!

I wonder if a larger and more well-damped room would be increasingly important to the success of an Atmos roll-out in a home theater. Ostensibly the processing will make it sound essentially the way it should regardless of room size or speaker count, but I suspect a larger room with well-controlled reverb would give a better result.

I can envision a larger theater with the typical three front channels, two pairs of overhead speakers, three pair of speakers on the side walls (one forward of the listener, one to the sides, and one behind), plus a pair of rear surrounds. That's a lot of speakers and a lot of amp channels, but if it is all discrete and specifically addressed in the encode (as opposed to somewhat arbitrary processing not specific to the mix, like with the current 9.1 and 11.1 matrixed solutions), I think it would be amazing.
post #20 of 32 Old 04-08-13, 01:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Quote:
bkeeler10 wrote: View Post
I wonder if a larger and more well-damped room would be increasingly important to the success of an Atmos roll-out in a home theater.
I can understand 2 speakers being swamped by a room full of reflections coming from different directions. But when you have 12 speakers located in different directions, will all that direct sound still be swamped by reflections?

IF Hass is to be believed, those reflections would have to be louder than the initial sound from the speakers in order to compete for your attention. What is the likelihood of that?

As counterintuitive as it may seem, adding more speakers might make dampening less necessary, since you'll be hearing more direct sound than reflections. Atmos could end up being more beneficial to normally furnished living rooms than finely tuned dedicated HTs.

Sanjay