Ultra HD compatible HDMI switcher by DVDO announced - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 04-06-13, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Keith Lock

Ultra HD compatible HDMI switcher by DVDO announced

The Quick6 4K UltraHD HDMI switcher by DVDO, first introduced at the Cedia Expo in September 2012 in Indianapolis, has been announced. It provides 6 HDMI inputs and 2 outputs that are high-speed and 1080p, 3D, and 4K compatible. The 2 HDMI outputs can send video signals to 2 different screens, or to 1 screen and a home theater receiver for audio.

DVDO's Quick6 HDMI switch joins its existing product line which includes the iScan Duo and EDGE Green video processors, and the DVDO Air WirelessHD system.

"DVDO has a proven history of product innovation and performance for CEDIA residential and commercial applications," said C.H. Chee, general manager of DVDO. "We are constantly in search of new ways to enhance the consumer experience, which is showcased in our latest product, the Quick6 HDMI switch."

In support of non-HDMI receivers that are still part of many home theaters, the switcher also includes both a digital optical and coax audio output. It also boasts features such as Picture-in-Picture, Audio Return Channel and Automatic Input Detection, and the technologies InstaPort (nearly instantaneous HDMI-source switching), InstaPrevue (live preview of all HDMI inputs), and MHL.

Upon activation of the Quick 6, and after adding cables to the HDMI inputs, small PIP screens will pop up to indicate what is connected at any given time.

With the MHL support, tablets, smartphones, and other handhelds can output 1080p video and 7.1-channel HD audio to a display directly.

Firmware updates for the Quick6 4K UltraHD, for future feature additions, are done through the device's high-speed USB port, and included USB flash drive.

DVDO is calling the Quick6 4K UltraHD HDMI switch the "ultimate audio/video receiver (AVR) upgrade." Since audio technology, such as amps, speakers, and receivers are considered a little "slower" on the upgrades, they would last for years and still be considered (by some) to be "current." However, with the ever-changing video technologies, this solution promises to bring "all the latest video technologies to your TV and upgrades your current system in minutes."

Quick6 feature reference

- Six 300MHz HDMI inputs
- Two 300MHz HDMI outputs – two displays or one display and one AVR
- InstaPrevue for live previews of active inputs
- InstaPort for near instantaneous input switching
- 300MHz / 4K 3D in and out
- Coax & S/PDIF audio out
- Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- Dual MHL inputs to connect a mobile device to a display
- Serial & IR control (RS232 port for home automation)
- Firmware upgradeable via USB
- Automatic input selection

Amazon currently carries the product for $399 and includes free shipping.

Last edited by keithlock; 04-11-13 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-07-13, 11:41 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: Ultra HD compatible HDMI switcher by DVDO announced

Hi Keith, So this unit will take the audio from the HDMI source and reroute the path out to the s/pdif optical and coax? I know a couple people who would be very interested in this switch just for that feature alone.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-08-13, 08:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Quote:
ericzim wrote: View Post
Hi Keith, So this unit will take the audio from the HDMI source and reroute the path out to the s/pdif optical and coax? I know a couple people who would be very interested in this switch just for that feature alone.
If it does that it will be downconverted to Dolby Digital or DTS. s/pdif optical and coax can not distribute the uncompressed audio formats.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #4 of 8 Old 04-08-13, 11:06 AM
Senior Shackster

Thanks for the info and full aware of the limitations of S/PDIF and 5.1, I was thinking with fewer BD players having multi channel analog out or digital out options this would be a solution for some who have hdmi pass through only AVRs like the Onkyo HT-R550 albeit an expensive one. Most people I know who upgrade to newer technology don't pay attention to connection options when they buy stuff. I get the calls for help connecting stuff to other stuff that just won't connect without adding something in between.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-08-13, 11:20 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

@ $399 you could just upgrade to a better receiver with all the features that one would need.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 8 Old 04-11-13, 04:37 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
@ $399 you could just upgrade to a better receiver with all the features that one would need.
Anyone buying this probably already has a dedicated separates (note the RS232) or a high end flagship receiver or analog pre-amp with an outboard DAC.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!
Bulletin Board Code

Last edited by 8086; 04-11-13 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-13, 10:07 AM
Elite Shackster
Charlie

My System

Quote:
tonyvdb wrote: View Post
I agree that the price seems pretty steep for what you get.
Don't know if any other HDMI switches break out toslink or coax audio though, so that may be the wow factor that sets this apart and gives it value.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-13, 07:11 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
chashint wrote: View Post
I agree that the price seems pretty steep for what you get.
Don't know if any other HDMI switches break out toslink or coax audio though, so that may be the wow factor that sets this apart and gives it value.
This device is aimed at the custom installer market and is of little use to a value oriented customer. It has a place and I can see owners of Analog Multichannel Pre-amps buying these HDMI switches up in bulk.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!
Bulletin Board Code