$3 million home theater, 4 years in the making - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 35 Old 05-21-13, 09:47 AM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System
Re: $3 million home theater, 4 years in the making

I still think Jeremy Kipnis Theater is the one to beat. It may not be as posh, lush, or lavish as the one featured in this thread, but Mr K's theater is certainly more technologically advanced and all those amps required that the power company installed two extra step down transformers at his home; which is energy enough to power an entire neighborhood.

http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki..._Theaters.html

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!
Bulletin Board Code
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 05-21-13, 10:40 AM
Senior Shackster

Pav

My System

That is incredible. I personally agree with the others here though, aesthetically it's a bit flamboyant, but each to their own.

Meanwhile, in the DIY Subwoofer forums...
Pav26 wrote:
Brace yourselves, the build pics are coming!
▀art West-VL wrote:
No no, brace the box, THE BOX, how many times do we have to say it?!
post #13 of 35 Old 05-22-13, 10:39 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Yes, it is ostentatious, but it is beautiful and I'd love to experience a film there. If I had that kind of money, my theater would be quite different, but I'd happily take that one for free
post #14 of 35 Old 05-23-13, 09:14 PM
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I think the thing that stood out for me was that they built an addition onto the house to do this - and that addition is 4 times the square footage of my entire house...

And, I concur - it is nice, but way too ostentatious for my taste...
What I think you meant to say is that the addition is 1/4 of the entire house. Albeit closer to 1/3 the size of the original. 25000, not 2500.
post #15 of 35 Old 05-24-13, 05:24 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
8086 wrote: View Post
I still think Jeremy Kipnis Theater is the one to beat.
That room just screams "Look at my gear!" Definitely way over the top for my tastes. I wonder if the system sounds natural or artificial with all that gear.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #16 of 35 Old 05-24-13, 06:20 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
That room just screams "Look at my gear!" Definitely way over the top for my tastes. I wonder if the system sounds natural or artificial with all that gear.
I think he put his money in the right place; it's much better spent on equipment than decorations. I believe each channel is mono amplified with it's own McIntosh Amplifier. Guests who visit his home proclaim it's an experience that is far greater than going to your local cineplex. Oh, yeah; $6,000,000 (2008) and his ▄berhighend Blu-Ray player of choice is a mere PS3. That really says something about the ps3.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!
Bulletin Board Code

Last edited by 8086; 05-24-13 at 07:55 PM.
post #17 of 35 Old 05-24-13, 09:16 PM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post

I agree just another example of way over the top. I would imagine it does sound really good though. I personally prefer clean lines and the uncluttered look.
post #18 of 35 Old 05-27-13, 07:54 AM
Senior Shackster
Bryan

I am always amused when I read about and see theater designs showcased in magazines, and particularly Electronic House. Most of the time a lot of money is spent on how the room looks when the lights are up, and it is particularly funny when a room costing 250k or more has less than 10k in actual gear, all in-wall speakers and everything as hidden away as possible.

My focus when building a cost-no-object theater (or any theater really) would be to maximize performance. How things look and sound when the lights are out is much more important than how it looks with the lights up. Given unlimited funds, I would build a floating soundproof room, treat it acoustically to perfection, paint it dark and non-reflective, and then buy the best audio and video gear I could find and install it in the way that provides the best possible performance. When I want to be in a room that looks nice and pretty, I'll head to the living room. I don't mind compromising performance for aesthetics there, but in the theater performance is what matters.

Just my 0.02.
post #19 of 35 Old 05-27-13, 10:25 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
^^^ +1
post #20 of 35 Old 06-03-13, 11:21 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

Quote:
8086 wrote: View Post
Guests who visit his home proclaim it's an experience that is far greater than going to your local cineplex.
1. This suggests that his guests' experience is limited to the local cineplex. Any layperson (and many enthusiasts) seeing this system are going to be influenced by expectation bias, leading them to believe it sounds fabulous even if it does not. There are distracting equipment lights and reflections everywhere you look, and then there is the matter of that big glass coffee table...

2. Even my modest system blows the local cineplex AWAY.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks