$3 million home theater, 4 years in the making - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 35 Old 06-03-13, 11:26 PM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System
Re: $3 million home theater, 4 years in the making

Quote:
Pav26 wrote: View Post
That is incredible. I personally agree with the others here though, aesthetically it's a bit flamboyant, but each to their own.

I agree, it is a matter of personal taste and as long as the owner is happy, then it is time and effort well spent.

I would like to add that it is completely possible to have tinnitus, still have exceptionally acute hearing, and to be an audiophile.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 06-03-13, 11:26 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
1. This suggests that his guests' experience is limited to the local cineplex. Any layperson (and many enthusiasts) seeing this system are going to be influenced by expectation bias, leading them to believe it sounds fabulous even if it does not. There are distracting equipment lights everywhere you look, and then there is the matter of that big glass coffee table...

2. Even my modest system blows the local cineplex AWAY.
  • Kippins himself worked professionally in the Audio Business, where he made his fortune.
    http://www.kipnis-studios.com/The_Ki.../About_Us.html

• I don't know about you, but your local cinema must be lacking. We've got two IMAXs (one is a dome) and a few megaplexes in my area. I used to work at my local multi-plex. The one I worked at had a great sound systems in all 20+ theater rooms, which I would rate as better than my Paradigm Studio. $150,000+ projectors aren't found in every enthusiasts home. My local Imax dome has a very impressive sound system (If I recall they use 10,000 watt amps). Oh, I forgot to mention; we also have a fully preserved 1930s architectural gem of a theater palace designed by John Eberson which has remained in continuous operation since its grand opening.

Save the whales?
Naaa... buy local and save your dealer's showroom from permanent extinction!
Bulletin Board Code

Last edited by 8086; 06-04-13 at 03:14 AM. Reason: language
post #23 of 35 Old 06-04-13, 02:40 AM
HTS Senior Moderator
HTS Reviewer

2 channel view

My System

You're lucky and probably right about my local theaters, because I've never heard a good theater yet. They all make me cringe and long for home, audio and video wise, that's pretty bad considering I don't have anything special for an HDTV. I've also seen plenty of home theaters that excel, so have had ears and eyes on other decent systems.

Never had the privilege of attending an IMAX, yet. I'm gonna have to do that soon, cause I do understand that a lot of work goes into the audio/video calibration.

"I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit." - Bill Hicks
post #24 of 35 Old 06-04-13, 03:03 AM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

Quote:
tesseract wrote: View Post
You're lucky and probably right about my local theaters, because I've never heard a good theater yet. They all make me cringe and long for home, audio and video wise, that's pretty bad considering I don't have anything special for an HDTV. I've also seen plenty of home theaters that excel, so have had ears and eyes on other decent systems.

Never had the privilege of attending an IMAX, yet. I'm gonna have to do that soon, cause I do understand that a lot of work goes into the audio/video calibration.
I've been to over a dozen IMAX theaters across the USA (east, west, Canada, & South) over the past 2.5 decades and it hasn't yet disappointed me. I know every morning my local AMC would run a full calibration suite on every projector in the building before business would begin.

Save the whales?
Bulletin Board Code

Last edited by 8086; 06-04-13 at 03:07 PM.
post #25 of 35 Old 06-04-13, 09:27 AM
Senior Shackster

Greg

My System

If you've got the cash and you decide to create a Home Theater and well, you have put the existing 25,000 sq ft to its best use..., I would guess the Palatial Theme is the overall character of the home and should be reflected in the Theater.

I have to say I love the colors and textures, the pillars with Corinthian Capitals (I believe). I would love to believe all of the finishing touches are made with wood with a polished venetian plaster finish. That aside this theater is a jewel, $3,000 glass chandelier or is it brass in any case it is a little too distracting or gaudy.

So now all of this begs the question, "Why is it so popular to want to live like royalty?" I remember when I was very young I wanted to be a king with all of the gold and jewels that went with being king. I could be a policeman on weekends. If I had to make a guess I would say this house belongs to an American Politician.

Bottom line for me I would not build one for myself but I would love it if I were the contractor, supervisor or one of the carpenters (in an earlier time) for this project. If I had the cash I would build a $6M two seat theater and when the construction is finished I would use Krell, Wilson Audio and Spendor with Furutech interconnects, cables and power cords and BSG Tech' QOL signal completion processor and I would definitely build a few hardwood diffusion panels etc etc etc for theater. But for two channel stereo I would love to try a pair of VTL monoblock tube amps but still with the Krell pre/pro. Really though nothing is perfect, I mean isn't it Home Audio that is, "The Never Ending Story......"

We believe everything we tell ourselves..., don't we??
post #26 of 35 Old 06-04-13, 03:06 PM
Senior Shackster

Guns

My System

This thread has me thinking....

Much the same way we review amplifiers, projectors, plasmas, etc.. HTS or some other review site should travel to Cinemas across the land and anonymously review their experience with the theater's audio-visual equipment used at their multiplex.

Save the whales?
Bulletin Board Code
post #27 of 35 Old 06-09-13, 01:11 PM

I love it. i think it looks great.
post #28 of 35 Old 07-28-13, 11:17 AM
Shackster

Wow! An amazing creation and great way to spend 3 million; I would love to design a system on this level.
post #29 of 35 Old 07-28-13, 06:31 PM
Elite Shackster

One positive aspect of spending on this type of scale is that it helps sustain jobs and helps keep the economy moving. Afterall, the money being spent here is not only used to acquire high end home theater equipment but it is also used to help ensure jobs for skilled workers as well - painting, carpentry, electricians, etc.
post #30 of 35 Old 07-29-13, 11:17 AM
Shackster

Could not agree more.