Sharp Unveils World’s First THX Certified Ultra High Definition Television - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 06-27-13, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System
Sharp Unveils World’s First THX Certified Ultra High Definition Television

Like an unstoppable wave, 4K Ultra HD products are racing toward the shorelines. We’ve recently reported on a number of new 4K products including displays, a media player, and receivers capable of 4K pass through and up-conversion. Yesterday, Sharp added more energy to the movement by unveiling its new THX certified 70-inch class AQUOS Ultra HD LED TV (LC-70UD1U) – the first 70” sized Ultra High Def television available.

"Sharp has a rich history of leading the electronics industry in innovation. Today we continue that tradition with the introduction of the AQUOS Ultra HD LED TV," said John Herrington, President, Sharp Electronics Marketing Company of America. "With four times the pixel resolution of HD, the 70 inch class AQUOS Ultra HD LED TV is our finest television ever."

Made with the Now in Mind

Currently, one of the biggest detractors to 4K technology (apart from cost) is the lack of true 4K content. With nearly four times the pixel count (more than eight million versus about two million), there is a significant amount of information missing in standard HD sources (especially compressed cable and satellite feeds). RED recently made its 4K media center available, at a steep price, and Sony is rumored to be readying a 4K media center of its own. But those units will likely have limited material offerings for the foreseeable future. Sharp’s answer to this problem is a display system that creates the missing detail. This upconversion process is managed by a dual-core processor that refines a source signal and then analyzes, interpolates, and enriches content to create a 4K image. Sharp claims that this process will make any non-4K source more appealing to the eye and show well on the LC-70D1U’s pixel-rich display.

Of course the LC-70D1U also is ready to feed on true 4K content, coming equipped with four HDMI inputs that accept true 4K sources. It also is able to display 4K photo images sourced through its SD card reader or dual USB ports. Not to to be ignored, our old friend 3D is included in the game and backed with 4K 3D power (Sharp includes two free Bluetooth 3D glasses with the television).

THX Certification

Sharp is proudly proclaiming the LC-70D1U as the industry’s first THX certified 4K display. This means it successfully passed four hundred performance tests measuring image quality, consistency, and upconversion quality at the THX labs. The LC-70D1U also comes with several pre-calibrated THX Movie viewing modes that are meant to deliver a viewing experience as intended by Hollywood studios.

Additional Elements of Interest

The LC-70D1U comes with a built-in six speaker system composed of separate tweeter, mid-range, and woofer components that Sharp claims delivers a full-range sound while maintaining a narrow overall physical footprint. Not surprisingly, the display also comes loaded with Wi-Fi enabled Apps such as Netflix, Hulu Plus, Vudu, YouTube, Pandora, Rhapsody, Facebook and Skype (although no camera is included in the box). Users are also given the ability to surf the web on Sharp’s proprietary flash-enabled web-browser (in either full screen, or web/television split screen mode).

Price and Availability

The LC-70D1U has an elevated priced tag of $7999 (MSRP) and is available August 2013.

Image Credit: PR NewsWire

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 06-27-13 at 11:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-27-13, 12:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Re: Sharp Unveils World’s First THX Certified Ultra High Definition Television

Good to see Sharp moving ahead. Wonder if hdmi 2.0 will be available later once it is a standard?

Price seems reasonable compared to the other HD systems out there.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-27-13, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

It's possible that HDMI 2.0 will be offered as an upgrade kit. Samsung, several months ago, announced that an upgrade kit would be made available to customers for purchase – I believe they are the only manufacturer to come forward like that. I'll contact Sharp to see what they have to say on the issue.

For those of you not familiar with the differences, current HDMI 1.4 ports support 4K Ultra HD, but only at 24 or 30 frames per second. For movies, etc, this isn't an issue... but some television and game systems are in the 50+ frames per second range.

Last edited by Todd Anderson; 06-28-13 at 05:27 AM.
post #4 of 22 Old 06-28-13, 10:36 AM
Elite Shackster

Thanks. From what I have read so far, doesn't seem like Sharp or Sony will do any retro-fit. As for Samsung, they do provide that kit but I think that is more for the apps.. Not necessarily for hdmi 2.0.
We shall see.

also, it would be good to find out if HEVC (High Efficiency Video Coding), or H.265, to compress hefty 4K files, would be available as well??
post #5 of 22 Old 06-28-13, 10:59 AM
Elite Shackster

Mr. Rabbit

I just can't understand the choice to use active 3D glasses with a 4K display. One of 4K's major selling points is 1080p resolution with passive 3D.

That said I'm happy to see more 4K getting released and I'm even happier to see this display doesn't have those ugly speakers flanking it like the Sonys.
post #6 of 22 Old 07-02-13, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

I still am awaiting a response from Sharp. I did, however, clarify RED's stance on 4K through their new Redray device. HDMI 1.4 does allow for 12 bit color in a single cable (it also allows for 24-30 fps). In circumstances were 50-60 fps are desired, Redray has 4 HDMI outputs (a user would connect all 4). Sharp does specify that their new unit has 4 HDMI inputs... which would make sense... allowing for high frame rate 4K sources.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-02-13, 06:39 AM
Elite Shackster

It would be good to see what they say. So far from what I have read about the current 4K lineup's, most if not all manufacturers will not support hdmi 2.0 setup once available for today's existing 4K tv since the chips, etc. on current 4K models will not support hdmi 2.0.

Last edited by tripplej; 07-02-13 at 06:48 AM.
post #8 of 22 Old 07-03-13, 01:45 PM
Senior Shackster
Kyle

I thought THX was more important in sound systems?? Very cool TV though.
post #9 of 22 Old 07-03-13, 02:17 PM
Elite Shackster

I believe THX started with audio but expanded into video. In regards to video, it is good to have accurate color, sharp picture, and the THX movie mode is the closest you will get to calibration without hiring someone to do it after purhase.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-03-13, 02:21 PM
Senior Shackster
Kyle

Sounds very good I self Calibrate my TV to my own liking so it looks the best to me
So THX Video is the Future of Top notch TV's Awsome!